Semi-original kits question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingeagle

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone in here. I purchased a couple of OOP kits from this guy a couple of times with no problems. He has the original parts from various rocket companies that he gathers up the parts and makes the OOP kit and resells them without the nose clay or parachute but the parts are new.

He has all the original parts new for the Quest X-15 rocket plane to build a complete kit build without the parachute or nose clay weight. He is asking $36.99 plus $6 and change for S&H each kit. Dose this sound like he’s asking to much money for this kit or dose this sound like a fair price? Anyone?

Realistically, only you can answer that question. Is it worth it to you?

Many years ago, I bought a BSD THOR off ebay. It was an original kit. At that time they were not available (it was the days between BSD and Fusion). Some said I paid too much for it ($105 if memory serves). It was worth it to me.

My feeling is that if this is a kit you want to build, I don't think that is very much money. I'm guessing that kit may be a little more complex than your typical 3 fin and nosecone rocket. If you wanted to get all the components yourself and had to source components from a few different places, you're gonna spend a big portion of that amount just on shipping. To me, it's worth it to get everything you need in one shot.

I have a question for anyone in here. I purchased a couple of OOP kits from this guy a couple of times with no problems. He has the original parts from various rocket companies that he gathers up the parts and makes the OOP kit and resells them without the nose clay or parachute but the parts are new.

He has all the original parts new for the Quest X-15 rocket plane to build a complete kit build without the parachute or nose clay weight. He is asking $36.99 plus $6 and change for S&H each kit. Dose this sound like he’s asking to much money for this kit or dose this sound like a fair price? Anyone?

Aerotech has the Quest X-15 parts kit available on their website for $7.99, a 14” long 35mm diameter body tube is $1.99, a 35mm/18mm motor mount is $2.90 - not seeing $24 of value added in putting those things in a bag 😉

Aerotech still doesn’t have their website squared away since they bought Quest - you have to search for stuff individually.

I just finished up my Quest bitsa X-15 - it swing tests fine with a stretched body and nose weight per Chris Michielssen’s build on his blog but I haven’t done the decals or launched it yet, looks good, not an accurate scale X-15 but close enough to suit me.

Nice.
I'm glad there are people out there putting together OOP kits.
Similar to what these guys are doing: https://morerockets.com/

"Fair" is my second most favorite 4-letter word that starts with an "F". It's a highly subjective term that means anything you want.

Would I pay $37 for an OOP kit that I wanted to build? Most likely.
Pay $65 for the original OOP kit off eBay (see link below) that I really wanted to build? Probably.
Given the choice between the two, I would go with the $37 option every time, for at least three reasons:
  • I want to support small business that cater to our little hobby
  • The modern kit is likely to have better components, and less likely to be damaged by time/humidity/laying around in boxes
  • 37 < 65

YMMV,
a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042649681...b99pV8Ti4peVeSxQ06dcqLJw==|tkp:Bk9SR-yHkPufYg

Nice.
I'm glad there are people out there putting together OOP kits.
Similar to what these guys are doing: https://morerockets.com/

"Fair" is my second most favorite 4-letter word that starts with an "F". It's a highly subjective term that means anything you want.

Would I pay $37 for an OOP kit that I wanted to build? Most likely.
Pay $65 for the original OOP kit off eBay (see link below) that I really wanted to build? Probably.
Given the choice between the two, I would go with the $37 option every time, for at least three reasons:
  • I want to support small business that cater to our little hobby
  • The modern kit is likely to have better components, and less likely to be damaged by time/humidity/laying around in boxes
  • 37 < 65

YMMV,
a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042649681...b99pV8Ti4peVeSxQ06dcqLJw==|tkp:Bk9SR-yHkPufYg
What the guy is selling is not OOP.
The X15 plan pack, motor mount and body tube are available on the Aerotech/Quest website.
It does not display on the new sites' webpages so you have to use the search engine.
Would you pay $37 plus $6 shipping to this guy when you can get the same thing directly yourself for $13 plus whatever Quest charges for shipping?
EDIT: The shipping for those items to HI is $13.81. Probably less to a mainland address. So the choice is $43 or $26 and change for the same items.
No brainer to me.
YMMV.

Last edited:
Back