Scratch Building a Mega Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim,I'm going to have to make something like that up.Great idea my friend,do you have any problems with the body tube turning when the wind blows while your painting?I have not tried painting with the tube laying on it's side.Mine are always upright.

I don't paint if the wind is blowing that strongly. It'll blow debris onto the wet paint.

I could set it up just inside my garage door.I try not to paint when it's windy,but you never know when it's going to pick up or gust.And I have had insects land on my wet paint while I'm in my yard.

Yeah, I get the occasional gust in my backyard. So far, none of them have turned a rocket I was painting.

Well I have the fillets applied to the fins at the motortube.I put the bottom centering ring on and have to install the rail buttons.A friend I work with gave me a ripstop nylon chute used by the US ARMY to drop small boxes.It's around 55" with a 5" spillhole.Don't know if it will fit and still pull out with the motor ejection.But I do have a 30" chute I can use.I don't know about decals.I'm going to have to price them from a couple vendors here on the forum.I took a picture of my build standing next to my Regular size Max and Mini Max.Family pictures of the Der Red Max 001.jpgFamily pictures of the Der Red Max 002.jpg

That looks awesome, Carl! Can't wait to see it with paint and decals!

Thanks,I don't know if decals are in the picture,depends on the price and how much my brakes on my car will cost me.Just one of those things that happen.

Painted Mega Max 001-002.jpgWell I have it painted.I don't know if I'll get decals.$38.00 right now is not in the budgit.I had to reshoot the nosecone.I first tried Rustolium Black Night Metallic.That went very bad.It cracked and when I started to sand it,it started to peel off in chuncks.I peeled off the remainder and then wetsanded the entire nosecone.Reprimered and this time used Rustolium Gloss Black.It came out rough looking,I might wetsand again and shoot more gloss black.The red is Rustolium 2X Apple Red.Painted Mega Max 002.jpg

That looks great, Carl. I've had the black paint do that on nose cones before. Sanding and reshooting it should smooth it right out.

Sorry you had trouble with the rusto black metallic. I always use it as a trim color on my birds and have found it needs to be misted on to prevent the flakes from pooling.

Your Mega Max is making me want to build one, too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Sorry you had trouble with the rusto black metallic. I always use it as a trim color on my birds and have found it needs to be misted on to prevent the flakes from pooling.

Your Mega Max is making me want to build one, too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Thanks,I wanted something different,but should have just used Gloss Black the first time around.I'm going to wait a week or so to make sure it cures and then wetsand and apply it again.I say go for it and build your own Max.I will not fly it until the crops are harvested on our winter field next month.Should have plenty of room up there.I have a 36"parachute from rocketchutes.com. and am thinking of even a larger one to bring it in for a softer landing.

Latest posts

Back