Scott Crossfield - RIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
In case you hadn't heard, here's a copy of the story.

By DANIEL YEE, Associated Press Writer

RANGER, Ga. -- Scott Crossfield, the hotshot test pilot and aircraft designer who in 1953 became the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound, was killed in the crash of his small plane, authorities said Thursday. He was 84.

Crossfield's body was found in the wreckage Thursday in the mountains about 50 miles northwest of Atlanta, a day after the single-engine plane he was piloting dropped off radar screens on a flight from Alabama to Virginia. There were thunderstorms in the area at the time.

The cause of the crash was under investigation. Crossfield was believed to be the only person aboard.

During the 1950s, Crossfield embodied what came to be called "the right stuff," dueling the better-known Chuck Yeager for supremacy among America's Cold War test pilots. Yeager broke the sound barrier in 1947; only weeks after Crossfield reached Mach 2, or twice the speed of sound, Yeager outdid him.

The Cessna 210A in which Crossfield died was a puny flying machine compared with the rocket-powered aircraft he flew as a test pilot. During his heyday, he routinely climbed into some of the most powerful, most dangerous and most complex pieces of machinery of his time, took them to their performance limits or beyond _ or "pushed the envelope," as test pilots put it _ and usually brought them back to Earth in one piece.

"He's really one of the major figures," said Peter Jakab, aerospace chairman at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. "He was not only the great cutting-edge research pilot ... but after that, he continued to be a great adviser and participant in all aspects of aerospace."

Crossfield, who lived in Herndon, Va., and flew regularly into his 80s, was a member of a group of civilian pilots assembled by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, the forerunner of NASA, in the early 1950s. Yeager did his test-flying as an Air Force pilot.

Crossfield flew Mach 2 on Nov. 20, 1953, when he hit 1,300 mph in NACA's Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket. The plane reached an altitude of 72,000 feet.

After leaving NACA, he had a major role in the development of the X-15 rocket plane and piloted it on several of its early test flights in the early 1960s.

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin hailed him as "a true pioneer whose daring X-15 flights helped pave the way for the space shuttle."

"We keep talking about test pilots, but there is no such thing as a `test pilot,'" Crossfield said in a 1988 interview with Aviation Week & Space Technology. "They are all just people who incidentally do flight tests. ... We should divest ourselves of this idea of special people (being) heroes, if you please, because really they do not exist."

In "The Right Stuff," Tom Wolfe's history of the dawn of the space age, Wolfe portrayed Crossfield, Yeager and other members of the brotherhood of test pilots as possessors of "the right stuff," which the author defined as "the ability to go up in a hurtling piece of machinery and put his hide on the line and then have the moxie, the reflexes, the experience, the coolness, to pull it back in the last yawning moment _ and then to go up again the next day, and the next day, and every next day."

The first group of seven NASA astronauts was selected in 1959. Bob Jacobs, a NASA spokesman, said Thursday that Crossfield never applied, though he did some engineering work on the Apollo space program. Many test pilots sneered at the Mercury program and did not consider it real flying; they regarded astronauts as little more than "Spam in a can" because their capsules were controlled from the ground.

Born in Berkeley, Calif., in 1921, Crossfield interrupted his studies at the University of Washington to join the Navy in 1942. He learned to fly a variety of aircraft during his Navy service.

Attempts to break the sound barrier in the years following World War II involved high stakes and some big egos.

On Oct. 14, 1947, Yeager finally reached the landmark, pushing his orange, bullet-shaped Bell X-1 rocket plane, past 660 mph over the Mojave Desert in California. His feat was kept top secret for about a year.

The now 83-year-old Yeager, in his book "Yeager: An Autobiography," described friction between the military pilots and the civilian NACA pilots. He groused that Crossfield "was a proficient pilot, but also among the most arrogant I've met. ... None of us blue suiters was thrilled to see a NACA guy bust Mach 2."

The competition did not end at Mach 2. On Dec. 12, 1953, just a few days before the 50th anniversary of the Wright brothers' first flight, Yeager bested Crossfield when he flew an X-1A to a record speed of more than Mach 2.4, or more than 1,600 mph.

The upcoming Wright anniversary had weighed on his mind, Yeager wrote: "The television networks had scheduled special programs about Crossfield and his Mach 2 flight. ... Our plan was to smash Scotty's record on December 12."

Nowadays, the best fighter jets can fly well over Mach 2.

Crossfield left NACA in 1955 to work for North American Aviation on the X-15 project, including its first flight, an unpowered glide, in 1959. Other early X-15 test flights were made by pilots Joe Walker and Robert White.

In one of his test flights, Crossfield reached about three times the speed of sound on Nov. 15, 1960, in an X-15 launched from a B-52 bomber. The plane reached an altitude of 81,000 feet.

There were some close calls. During an X-15 flight in 1959, one of the engines exploded. The emergency landing broke the aircraft's back just behind the cockpit, but Crossfield was not injured, according to the Edwards Air Force Base Web site.

Less than a year later, a malfunctioning valve caused a catastrophic explosion during a ground test while Crossfield was in the cockpit. He again escaped injury.

In later years, he was an executive for Eastern Airlines and Hawker Siddley Aviation and a technical consultant to the House Committee on Science and Technology.

"I am an aeronautical engineer, an aerodynamicist and a designer," he told Aviation Week & Space Technology. "My flying was only primarily because I felt that it was essential to designing and building better airplanes for pilots to fly."

More recently, Crossfield had a key role in preparations for the attempt to re-enact the Wright brothers' flight on the 100th anniversary of their feat on the sand dunes near Kitty Hawk, N.C. Crossfield trained four pilots, and one of them, Kevin Kochersberger, was selected for the Dec. 17, 2003, attempt.

But in the end, unsuitable weather doomed the attempt to get the replica into the air. The plane plopped into wet sand as the crowd of 35,000 groaned.

Among his many honors, Crossfield was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 1983.

It's a better way to go for a pilot. Better than sitting in a retirement home waiting to die. As a pilot myself, I always say I'm going out as a "smoking hole in the ground". Not in my 767 though, I don't want kill 256 passenger plus crew. :D

At 84 thats not a bad age. If i knew them i would offer my condolences to his family. he was exceptional individual in every sence of the word.
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by Thrasher
It's a better way to go for a pilot. Better than sitting in a retirement home waiting to die. As a pilot myself, I always say I'm going out as a "smoking hole in the ground". Not in my 767 though, I don't want kill 256 passenger plus crew. :D
I can't remember where I heard this, but it's stuck with me.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Sad news, heard it on the radio this afternoon.

Thrasher, who you fly for?

Mach

Not that I'm in a hurry you understand, but when my time comes I hope I'm doing something that I love to do. For me, like Mr. Crossfield, that would be flying an airplane.

I don't know the details, but it seems that he and his Cessna got caught in a level 6 thunderstorm. Not a good place to be in any kind of aircraft...

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
He groused that Crossfield "was a proficient pilot, but also among the most arrogant I've met

Well, I have to say that certainly wasn't the case the one time I crossed paths with Scott Crossfield.

He attended the 2002 NCAE convention in Washington, DC. I manned the NAR's booth there with NAR Treasurer Stew McNabb. Mr. Crossfield listened to my story about successfully landing the 1911 Wright Model B simulator just as intently as if he were hearing about some hot-shot X wing pilot's latest scrape with death. He graciously autographed the book Stew bought about the X-15 and asked about our work around NAR educational outreach.

A loss for all of us who love things that fly.

Originally posted by mach7
Sad news, heard it on the radio this afternoon.

Thrasher, who you fly for?

Mach

Continental.
Just moved up from the 737 to 757/767. Next month is all Europe (UK) flying in 757. It's a nice change from the 737, even from the NG 737's (700/800/900).

You're in the Maddog? American?

Alaska is better! Are they dumping the MD-80's? Continental did a few years ago. What model of the 737 does Alaska fly? The New Generation models are nice (700/800/900). I've flown the -300, -500, -700, -800, and -900 models. Now I fly the 757-200 & 300 and 767-200 & 400. Too many models! I'm waiting for Boeing to annouce the 737-1000 or something.!? The 900 is the same as a 757-200, but they shut down the 757 assembly. Too bad, the 757 is better, but at least the 737 is all glass.

Thrasher, I sent you a PM.

I can talk aircraft all day, but my wife tells me some people are not interested in aviation. Go figure.

It'll be hard to find anyone on this board not interested in observing ya'll conversation - I know I am, especially as a stockholder in Boeing!

Jason

Well then, lets talk planes!

I was going to start a new thread, but then I thought what better way to celabrate Mr. Crossfield than with a discussion about airplanes.

Now I fly the MD-80, been flying it for 9 of the last 13 years and love it! I have flown the 737 and will be going back to it soon. The new gens are nice. But for my money Lockheed makes the best aircraft.

I never flew it but the B-1 has always impressed me, back in 1991 at an air show in Bagotville Quebec I got to spend some time around one and saw it do a high speed pass at 100ft followed by a vertical climb to 18000ft. WOW that was impressive!.

What are some of your aviation stories?

Mark

I miss the different commercial aircraft makers. No more airliners from M.D. or Lockheed. Boeing is the only one left. Continental is all Boeing, so that doesn't leave me much to choose from. I can bid the 777 and 787, but that is all since I've already flown the 737's and am now in the 757/767. I still have a few years left so I'll have to wait and see what follows the 787 from Boeing. The rumour around CAL is that Boeing wants the 787 the same type rating as the 777!?

I agree It's sad to have just 2 airliner builders. I don't care for the Airbus design philosophy, but I am a pilot and no one would ever call an Airbus a pilots airplane, it's a bean counters airplane and bean counters buy airplanes.

I hope Boeing will not do what Lockheed and MD did and abandon airliners, but the big money is in military aircraft.

I like what I see in the 787 but I still wish Boeing had not given up on the sonic cruiser, that would have changed the face of aviation the way the 707 did 45 years ago. It's about time someone moved beyond the 2 eng, .8M, 30k ft platform that makes up 95% of all airliners.

Just my opinon.

Mark

I was told Airbus designed planes that pilots with 250 hours could fly. I wouldn't know. I've never flown an airbus and I had 10,000+ hours when hired by Continental.

The sonic cruiser was a good idea, but I'm not sure how well it would operate in the current economy. I don't know the details of that model. Was it a money issue? Fuel burn? Or just no interest from the airlines?

I am glad that Continental is the US launch customer for the 787. They are excited about it: they have pictures of it on the wall already. They put it in our fleet types in the back of the Continental magazine. I think we get one in 2009, but you would think its coming next month!

Crossfield was famous for managing his energy when taxiing in such a way that he could shut down the engine well away from the ramp and taxi to a stop inside the hanger. As he was flying an F100 fighter he did his trademark taxiing stunt, shutting down the engine (official reports said he suffered an engine failure) and taxiing into the hanger, only to realize that the brakes were powered brakes and required the engine-driven boost pump to work. Much to his chagrin he put the nose of the fighter through the back wall of the hanger.

Yeager, of course, had great fun with this, saying that "I broke the sonic wall, but Scotty broke the hanger wall..."

Hanger wall.JPG

Goodness....bringing up a thread from seventeen years ago to post that picture? I don't know whether to be impressed with your search skills or just amused.

In any case it's a fun anecdote.

Goodness....bringing up a thread from seventeen years ago to post that picture? I don't know whether to be impressed with your search skills or just amused.

In any case it's a fun anecdote.
The thread was new to me! LOL!

I do love aviation/aerospace history, tho. I couldn't help it

My favorite Scott Crossfield anecdote comes by way of John D. Clark's Ignition!:

Something more potent than alcohol was needed for the X-15 rocket-driven supersonic research plane. Hydrazine was the first choice, but it sometimes exploded when used for regenerative cooling, and in 1949, when the program was conceived, there wasn't enough of it around, anyway.

Bob Truax of the Navy, along with Winternitz of Reaction Motors, which was to develop the 50,000 pounds thrust motor, settled on ammonia as a reasonably satisfactory second best. The oxygen-ammonia combination had been fired by JPL, but RMI really worked it out in the early 50's.

The great stability of the ammonia molecule made it a tough customer to burn and from the beginning they were plagued with rough running and combustion instability. All sorts of additives to the fuel were tried in the hope of alleviating the condition, among them methylamine and acetylene. Twenty-two percent of the latter gave smooth combustion, but was dangerously unstable, and the mixture wasn't used long.

The combustion problems were eventually cured by improving the injector design, but it was a long and noisy process. At night, I could hear the motor being fired, ten miles away over two ranges of hills, and could tell how far the injector design had progressed, just by the way the thing sounded. Even when the motor, finally, was running the way it should, and the first of the series was ready to be shipped to the West Coast to be test-flown by Scott Crossfield, everybody had his fingers crossed.

Lou Rapp, of RMI, flying across the continent, found himself with a knowledgeable seat mate, obviously in the aerospace business, who asked him his opinion of the motor. Lou blew up, and declared, with gestures, that it was a mechanical monster, an accident looking for a place to happen, and that he, personally, considered that flying with it was merely a somewhat expensive method of suicide.

Then, remembering something he turned to his companion and asked. "By the way, I didn't get your name. What is it?"

The reply was simple. "Oh, I'm Scott Crossfield."

Back