Scale AGM-12 Bullpup B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifted

Reaction score
I am playing around with Open Rocket to design a scale Bullpup B. As I understand it was designed to have a 1000lb warhead in the nose. So, the design as an actual missile has plenty of nose weight.
Obviously, I can't even put a scale quantity of nose weight in my model. Despite this OR is simulating the design stable on an E23 with a stability margin of 2% all the way up to an H55 with a stability margin of -1%.
This is just something that I've started to look at so materials and definite weights aren't done yet, but I am wondering if the shape of the transition and boattail have more of an effect on stability than the CP is showing. Granted I have 7oz of nose weight in the design.
I guess what I am trying to ask is if there is a possibility that this design is actually going to fly straight or is there some kind of glitch in OR that this design is exploiting?

Attachments

• Bullpup.ork
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a BT-80 based Bullpup A that I have designed and it's also requiring 7 ounces of nose weight. Take the boat tail off and I think you have a pretty short rocket which would probably still require nose weight. Add the boat tail and that's gonna mean more nose weight. I'm not positive so take this next thing with a grain of salt bt I think the forward canards also play in with the amount of nose weight.

I opened your file and looked it over. Still pretty basic in the nose area. Are you going to use cardboard tubes and transitions as shown? If so I imagine that you are going to be extending the 2 inch tube down to the 3 inch tube with a centering ring or two to keep it all in alignment. Maybe a coupler to act as the nose cone shoulder if you are going to separate the rocket there? That will add add nose weight. The other option is a 3d print which would be totally awesome but if you're like me that's not really an option. Availability and cost, what-not

1715655879463.png

Just my two pennies worth. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will come along.

-Bob

Thanks for looking at it. I will be 3d printing the nose cone and transition, which is why there’s not a lot of detail in the file. I guess I won’t worry about the weird way the sims think it will be stable with the cp in front of the cg and just load it down with nose weight. I’m not actually planning on flying an h motor in it anyway.

Back