Saturn V Apogee 1/70 launch fail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, not good. Email sent to Apogee asking for recommendations for first launch. They sent list of motors......for the wrong rocket!!. Saturn B1 !! Did not notice the banner at the top saying B1. Ordered motors and just to be safe I put in the motor notes....."Please confirm these motors for Saturn V 1/70. Got no reply that they were wrong. "F" motors. Launched to about 200 feet, chute deployed no time to open crash. 2 fin fairings damaged and of course expected escape launch tower to get removed. Ordered parts will launch in 2 weeks on G.

Attachments

• 2904.jpeg
    2904.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230409_224314.jpg
    20230409_224314.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Sorry for the mishap. Crashes are part of the hobby, and that is how one learns to get better at flying rockets. Painful lesson when it involves such an expensive and elaborate model.

Sorry for the mishap. Crashes are part of the hobby, and that is how one learns to get better at flying rockets. Painful lesson when it involves such an expensive and elaborate model.
Especially when I was misdirected. Actually motors G77 arrived today! Rocket repaired and test launching this afternoon!!

Especially when I was misdirected. Actually motors G77 arrived today! Rocket repaired and test launching this afternoon!!
Trying to send now the original video of the very first launch in .mov format. Will see if it loads.
Trying to upload a. .mov file. This is the very first launch of an F motor, wrongly recommended by Apogee

Attachments

• IMG_4415.MOV
    1.3 MB
Trying to send now the original video of the very first launch in .mov format. Will see if it loads.

Trying to upload a. .mov file. This is the very first launch of an F motor, wrongly recommended by Apogee
For me, easiest way of doing videos is to load to YouTube, then insert link in TRF post.

Ouuuuch….

With practice you’ll be able to figure out your own motors and time delays without having to rely on manufacturer recommendations. Definitely a skill you want to learn on something less elaborate than one of the Apogee Saturns IMO.

Keep in mind that it’s not only the total impulse (the letter) that matters, it’s also the thrust and the delay time. Too little thrust won’t get you close enough to vertical for safe flight, too much can cause rod whip or compression damage to your rocket. A G8 or a G339 would both be a poor choice for this rocket,

Too little delay will make your parachute open on the way up and rip your rocket to pieces. Same if it’s too long, with deployment at high speed on the way down or ground impact. You might be OK on an AeroTech G79-4, certainly not on a G79-10! Conversely, the -4 in a skinny, high-altitude rocket will make the shock cord rip right through the body tube or even separate the nose from the body. Neither are good for your rocket. A -10 in such a rocket would do much better.

Back