Sandman cone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
. Just got the cone gordon, 2 days early! It is beautiful. For all you guys that dont know, it is a bass wood cone for a 2.5" tube, 3" shoulder, 3" straight section and a 12" conical. It is awsome. My dad (airplane building) had me under the immpression that bass wood was just a little bit stronger then balsa, this stuff is way tougher then the balsa cone my 2.5" nike smoke had, heavy, but tough, and keeps this thing nice a stable. The straight section was had a slight incurve, cant you be more precise ;) , but seriously, Gordon, this thing is amazing. We decided we will glue a ring with T-nuts into the hole in the middle (for the transmitter) and then use it to mount a bulkplate, so now the signed plug gets a place on the shelf :D, this thing looks great. One question for anybody reading this tonight. I just put a thin layer of ultra thin epoxy on to give it a better finish and strengthin it, is it ok to let it sit inbetween to heaters (any reason it will be a problem) this stuff takes overnight to cure so I thought I would let it sit then rotate 1/4 turn every now and then, until I go to bed. After that I will let it cure at the regular cold garage temp's. Will the heat be ok? (people use curing ovens so I dont know why not). Its awsome, for custom needs or cones to fit weird BT's talk to Gordon, it is a great product and the packaging was very well done, I was a little worried about that conical tip in the mail but it survived without a scratch. Sorry all you pic lovers, no pics of the cone yet. But the photographer will get a launch early next year of the test flight on an I205-G79 so you can see the metallic painted cone.

Back