Samsung recalls Galaxy Note 7 over battery flaw

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will never happen in the U.S. Carriers are considered Utilities. As long as you are in current standing, they can't shut you off.

According to the link, it will be in the form of an update, meaning it could theoretically be avoided by not installing it. A forced update would be a different story, but I doubt Samsung would ever do something like that for the very reason you brought up.

Yes, do let us know what happens.

There is a Facebook group call Note 7 Rebels. I installed a package disabler advised by the founder. According to the founder, that app will protect us from any update pushes. So far it has. I am still able to charge my phone to 100%. N7R lives!!

I've been flying a lot lately (airlines, not rockets), and before takeoff, there is a final warning about the ban on these devices. On one flight, the flight attendant making the anointment was almost begging people to fess up if they had brought on aboard or packed one in checked luggage against the earlier warnings. I guess she didn't want to die in a fiery plane crash.

Well, today was supposed to be Dday for all not 7 owners. Samsung was rolling out a forced that would limit battery use to 30% and disable WiFi, Bluetooth and network connectivity. As predicted, I'm still fully functional at 100%! NOTE 7 REBELS!

There is a Facebook group call Note 7 Rebels. I installed a package disabler advised by the founder. According to the founder, that app will protect us from any update pushes. So far it has. I am still able to charge my phone to 100%. N7R lives!!

And now he's selling all of your personal information for profit including contacts, web browsing information, CC information, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe he'll even lock it and hold your information for ransom at some point!

And now he's selling all of your personal information for profit including contacts, web browsing information, CC information, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe he'll even lock it and hold your information for ransom at some point!

Attention folks, this is what a lack of oxygen does to people. It turns them into raving madmen. Let's all wish Mr Patell a speedy recovery...... SHEESH!

Attention folks, this is what a lack of oxygen does to people. It turns them into raving madmen. Let's all wish Mr Patell a speedy recovery...... SHEESH!

Breathing just fine, nor am I raving. I'm just stating that you went and installed a 3rd party "update" to your phone to prevent the manufacturer from disabling your phone due to safety concerns. Seems sketchy, doesn't it?

My guess is that your truck will not be insured should your phone immolate and consume your truck cab and/or your haul. Keeping the phone actually displays willful or gross negligence, as proving that you had no idea it would occur is pretty much impossible for you now.

I don't understand folks who keep using these phones that are known to be high risk.

I own an Nvidia Shield tablet. About two months after it arrived in my house, it was found that a small number of these things, under extreme use, would catch fire. For this particular thing, the risk was during charging. They suggested not using it until it was replaced, or at least monitoring it during and shortly after charging. I carefully charged it in a place where there was no risk of igniting anything else, and never left it unattended during charging. When the replacement came in a few weeks later, I packed up the old one, and sent it to be recycled or whatever in the special high-risk shipping container they provided (after carefully and completely wiping the device of any of my personal info).

In the case of the Note 7, since the defect could lead to a fire at any time in the usage cycle (not just charging) the risk is quite extreme and hard to limit. The willful courting of liability if this thing decides to torch your house, car, etc. is shocking. Let's say you are driving and the thing switches into torch mode. You, distracted by the fire / smoke / fumes / pain swerve into traffic and kill someone. Guess what... you've ruined lives.

If you live in the boonies, alone, and use your phone only on your own property, more power to you. But the minute you endanger others by your willful negligence, you're crossing a line.

This was one of the biggest tech stories of the year and there's no way Samsung will be held accountable for new torches at this point... nor will your property insurance / auto insurance cover any damages since you're clearly not just flouting the risk, but bragging about doing so in an easily discoverable way.

I wish you good luck and hope you reconsider your continued use of the phone.

Marc

Short answer, there is no risk. In my opinion, no other phone compares. My phone has never even gotten warm, even under heavy use while charging. All the phones that might have failed already have, the ones left in service are fine.

There is good news for you Jim, and those still using the Note 7.
The "NOTE 8" set to be released in August or September.
Will we see another melt down?
Or will this take the world by storm?
The best of the worst can be you can heat your home for an hour or 2 with your burning phone. :roll:

Back