SA-14 Archer Upscale Flight Video Posted!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with qquake, that's a great looking altimeter bay. As a matter of fact the entire project looks great.

Thanks guys, sled and bulkheads look much better in the pictures I assure you, I didnt even prep the plywood, just used rusto sandable filler primer and VHT engine enamel. Just placed an order with Doghouse for some wiring, should be here in a couple days, meanwhile I'll get the battery leads soldered in, and mount the rotary switches, drill the vent holes, tap the shear pin holes etc. Hope to have the NC painted this weekend and possibly the payload section.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412452639.032204.jpg
Got the final pieces from Doghouse, ordered them Thursday, got them this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412452685.475722.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412452696.821084.jpg

Payload bay and nose cone painted

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412452753.697484.jpg

Cleaning up the fillets with Bondo. Should be able to fill and sand spirals today, prime tomorrow

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412520455.635083.jpg
A quick sand in this coat of primer and it will be wearing it's military grey today. Set up a make shift paint booth in the garage and have heaters going. It's only 54 degrees today!

@quake that's cold to me!! Haha here we go in the sun in all it's un-decaled glory!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412538758.113779.jpg

Last edited:
Weighed it with laundry and electronics, no motor.....15.5lbs right in the middle of where I figured it to be.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412619720.216443.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412619732.568778.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412619741.785115.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412619752.423820.jpg

Now for ejection charge testing and hopefully the weather cooperates for the launch this coming weekend!

That looks awesome! I probably missed it in the build thread, but what kind of key switches are those?

That looks awesome! I probably missed it in the build thread, but what kind of key switches are those?

I actually got them on ebay, I've used one in the Jericho and it works great. If you go to my profile/albums/Upscale Archer there's a picture in there of them.
I bought 10 for $16 and each came with two keys.

I actually got them on ebay, I've used one in the Jericho and it works great. If you go to my profile/albums/Upscale Archer there's a picture in there of them.
I bought 10 for $16 and each came with two keys.

Are the keys removable in the off position?

Unfortunately yes they are but not too loose. They stay in fairly well

Looks like I'll be drilling the vent holes, rivets and shear pin holes today, prep for e-charge testing tomorrow, hope the neighbors dont call the cops!! haha
Here in the PRC (People's Republic of Columbia) , they can be a little apprehensive about an 8ft missile being blown apart in the back yard!

For the vent holes (4 of them, 3/16" ea) What is the cleanest method of drilling cardboard airframes? In my haste to get it done before this weekends launch (that is probably going to get rained out) I painted the switch band before drilling them.

Quake, yeah, I have turned to drilling small, soaking it, then drilling the larger hole, seems to work well, I'll check out the pilot bits after work tomorrow

Ya, its a shame ya cant see it. Nice work.

Thanks Scotty, yeah I dont normally paint the sled and bulk plates. I did the bulkplates with VHT engine enamel in the hopes it will help keep it cleaner. The bulk plates in my Frenzy are pretty beat up and only have single charge wells each (probably going to take them apart and sand the surfaces and cover them with epoxy, see what holds up better). I just figured as long as I was painting them, I'd go ahead and shoot some paint on the sled!

Thanks Scotty, yeah I dont normally paint the sled and bulk plates. I did the bulkplates with VHT engine enamel in the hopes it will help keep it cleaner. The bulk plates in my Frenzy are pretty beat up and only have single charge wells each (probably going to take them apart and sand the surfaces and cover them with epoxy, see what holds up better). I just figured as long as I was painting them, I'd go ahead and shoot some paint on the sled!

Plus you gotta keep up with Nathan :wink:

Plus you gotta keep up with Nathan :wink:

THAT will never happen! That man is definitely OCD when it comes to paint! (Except that he didnt paint the screws on his L2 rocket! and I did point that out to him!)
However he just settled on a house and is moving so he hasnt really had the time.

If my paint jobs come out at least slightly shiny and with minimal runs, I'm ok with it. You've all seen them on here, All of mine look good from the minimum safe distance for launch!! hahaha

Ha! Meets the minimum standard of being somewhere between "good from far" and "far from good". :grin:

Motors should be on the trailer. I couldnt resist throwing a couple more on the order:
K940 White Thunder 4 Grain
K711 White 6 Grain
J316 Pink (5 Grain 38mm) to fly my Patriot on for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
couple F240 Vmax for the Olde Bay Daddy

and of course I know I'll buy a few more at the trailer once I get there. My son needs a couple 29mm for his Leviathan

Flight Report today:
Motor: CTI 4 Grain K940 1633Ns
Altitude: Altimeter 1 - 2935, Altimter 2 - 2938
Monster flight today, weather was great, very light wind. Landed on the field behind the launch field.

Back