S8D for noobs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My basic plan then, is to start him out on Real Flight simulator but with a real controller. I confirmed the UMC Radian is modelled in their sofware.

Is the NX8 a good move here? Too much, not enough?

The NX8 is a fine TX for this application. Personally, I switched to OpenTX/EdgeTX-based transmitters a little while ago myself. They are far more flexible than Spektrum AirWare TXs, but also have a steeper learning curve. The receivers are a fair bit cheaper too.

This is the one I've been steering people towards. The 4-in-1 version will operate with Spektrum equipment.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/products/tx16s-mark-ii-radio-controller?variant=42817679655143

The NX8 is a fine TX for this application. Personally, I switched to OpenTX/EdgeTX-based transmitters a little while ago myself. They are far more flexible than Spektrum AirWare TXs, but also have a steeper learning curve. The receivers are a fair bit cheaper too.

This is the one I've been steering people towards. The 4-in-1 version will operate with Spektrum equipment.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/products/tx16s-mark-ii-radio-controller?variant=42817679655143
It's learning curve time I'm specifically trading dollars against, so this confirmation is very helpful. Prepping three youth flyers for 6 events leading up to Colorado this summer, and fully half of the disciplines I've neither built nor flown.

We hit 2:38 today on a 10s e-boost with the UMX Conscendo BNF. Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm going to switch out his 2s 300mAh with a similar 3s, to give a bit more snort.

It essentially can't be done. Any future S8D or S8P activities here in the US, even simple practice flying, will require a waiver to the altitude limitations of paragraph 6 of Section 44809.

That is not an insurmountable hurdle, though, and will be much easier once NAR is accepted as a Community Based Organization (CBO) by the FAA. That process has already been initiated.
James, will the NAR be creating and publishing how to go about getting that waiver?

It essentially can't be done. Any future S8D or S8P activities here in the US, even simple practice flying, will require a waiver to the altitude limitations of paragraph 6 of Section 44809.

That is not an insurmountable hurdle, though, and will be much easier once NAR is accepted as a Community Based Organization (CBO) by the FAA. That process has already been initiated.
Tripoli tried to go down the cbo approval process and said faa wanted a bunch more rules added to be cbo and gave up.

NAR application was denied and they needed help with a second application.

If you fly at an AMA field with permanent exemption above 400' not in class G you can fly there to whatever faa gives them, no permanent waivers/exemptions for clubs in class G currently.

Now just recently there is a mechanism to request a temporary waiver for altitude and rid in class g airspace that did not exist till now, if part of a cbo like ama.

For my part I've become an ama event manager and sanctioned my first 4 events (demo flights) in conjuction with the launches I'm attending, now that I have those I can request the waivers for altitude up to the max g airspace either 700 or 1200 and exemption from rid. I will apply when I get within 30 days, then send that approval to ama and they will issue the insurance.

Only downside is the sanctioned event fee per event of $25 plus $5 unsponsored event fee

There is legislation in congress trying to raise the max altitude in class G to 700 or 1200 depending on the limits in the area for clubs/sites but it has not been finalized yet

Last edited:
Back