RW Go Devil 38 community build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang that's pretty. In my 38mm rockets I just put a 29mm motor mount tube with the Eggfinder TX and the battery in it, with a bulkhead glued to the end, and I use lots of masking tape to secure it to the shock cord (which is glued to the NC). Not very pretty, but it works.

The Eggfinder definitely fits, even with what most would probably consider a large LiPo (Turnigy 950mA 2S and a Tenergy 900mA 2S, the Tenergy is slightly thinner). I bought one of APE-RC's 38mm head-end altimeter bay, back when it didn't have the integrated charge well. Initially I just had his FG sled with two holes drilled to capture the EF and a bunch of tape to hold the battery in place. I had a picture of it farther back in this thread, the EF had just gotten crunched from a very hard landing (tangled drogue-only). I picked up a 3D printer in January and designed a custom carrier for my battery and the EF. Looks much better now, holds things more securely and it's not as tight of a fit. :) I flew this to 8500' with a ~1.2 mi recovery distance and a great lock on the EF until it was just about on the ground, navigated right to it. This sled has a bracket between the battery and bulkhead that could hold a magnetic switch, but haven't decided whether I'm going to take advantage of that or not, this bay is easy to access before & after flight since there's a single set screw to lock the nose onto the bulkhead.

Original:
View attachment 284549

Printed:
View attachment 284551

Eye Candy; as promised.

I flat patterned the plies for the tip-to-tip. I also modeled the build-up in 3D.Oblique Aft Perspective.jpgOblique Fwd Perspective.jpgPly configuration.jpg

Started building

Had to dig out a spot in the garage first. I bought acetone and denatured alcohol to clean my fiberglass per flynfrog's instructions.

I chamfered my fin edges. Not to bad for non-precision tools. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458797320.658613.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458797335.771101.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458797345.505945.jpg

Then quick like a bunny I got out my JB weld and the fin guides I got from wingarcher and did all three in one sitting. Patience a isn't my strong suit. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458797469.708737.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1458797478.528566.jpg
I will start in again tomorrow if I have time.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459039403.760622.jpg
Fillets shine like glass. The question is how much work do I need to do the the entry by the leading edge. I need my cabin to lay down nice. I should know by tomorrow.

Leaving for Yosemite Monday thru Thursday so no more rocket building for a week.

On my bigger rockets (2.5"+) I use plastic rivets to hold my Av-Bay to my payload bay. I got to thinking while doing some final preps, I cant use those GIANT rivets on this skinny little rocket. So I thought about sheer pins, since they are a lot smaller it seems like the best choice. What method do you guys use on MD projects like this?

On my bigger rockets (2.5"+) I use plastic rivets to hold my Av-Bay to my payload bay. I got to thinking while doing some final preps, I cant use those GIANT rivets on this skinny little rocket. So I thought about sheer pins, since they are a lot smaller it seems like the best choice. What method do you guys use on MD projects like this?

Hi Bill, EggFinder working well? I just drilled and tapped for 2-56 buttonhead screws. Some put PEM nuts on the inside with epoxy but the coupler is pretty thick
and I find it will hold threads pretty well. If I strip it, I have PEM nuts to add if I have to. Kurt

Everything works great on the bench. Just need the weather to cooperate and I can get em in the air! It's been either too windy or high fire danger.
I'll look into those buttonhead screws.

Everything works great on the bench. Just need the weather to cooperate and I can get em in the air! It's been either too windy or high fire danger.
I'll look into those buttonhead screws.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-56x1-2-B...085447?hash=item2c8e4ebb47:g:gtEAAOSwY45UNYlp
I learned not to do stainless steel as they are tougher to cut to size. I wondered why my cut off wheels were fracturing and breaking until the third one blew apart.

Kurt

Looking good, I like the line design but please don't paint the whole fin, they look beautiful on their own.

Awesome, found a good Go Devil thread. I'm going to need it. Today is Hump Day, Sale Day. Given that I am able to be one of the people to pick up the Go Devil 38mm I think i'm going to build it for a level two flight. You can see i'm not level two so it'd be a level two cert flight.

Now I haven't exactly built a high power minimum diameter, nor gone above a mile (or two). I haven't done dual deploy or tracking either.
But, the more I think about it, I don't think i'm going to ever go level 3. I know don't ever say never but if I do it probably won't be for years down the road when at least two of my four kids are moving on in life. I just wouldn't be able to afford it.
So I figure why not punch this guy up, have a heck of a certification flight and knock out 5 milestones in one on a really big motor? Thrust curve is showing some serious altitude...

By reading up on this thread i'm pretty confident I can do it. I wouldn't try it for a couple months at least so I can hone my tracking skills a little better.

Anyone think i'm flat out crazy for doing it and should just save my efforts and money?
Is adding plys to the fin can really all that necessary?
Should I stick to an eggfinder for tracking? Or when I get a ham license should I go elsewhere?
If I did go elsewhere other than the eggfinder what fits within a reasonable price range like the eggfinder?
No matter what i'm going to have to use aerotech internal motor retention?
I downloaded the .ork file but it seems dicey at 4.65 calibers stability?

If you can't tell I get a little pre rocket build brain workout researching and visualizing the build.

Last edited:
Do you realize how high a Go Devil will go on a J350?! Hope you have tracking installed for your L2 flight.

If you don't have a tracker, chances are that your rocket is going to go really high, really fast ONCE before you lose it forever.

Internal motor retention is the 'norm' but some use a slimline or tape.

There is LOTS of debate on whether T2T is necessary. Can't hurt unless it's done poorly, but there are plenty who've reportedly gone M2ish with only generous 4500 fillets. I guess it more depends on what you're landing on, as playa and sod both have different propensities for breaking off fins.

Me, I'm going internal retention, eggfinder, and carbon T2T with a vacuum bag set up to ensure proper lay up. I'm only gonna build one (I special request ordered an orange one just after the buy out), so I'm going to err on the side of stronger at the cost of some altitude levels.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, I'd recommend something other than a GD 38 for an L2 attempt unless one is very willing to work in a confined space, may have to use a magnetic switch, or acquire an EggTimer Quantum deployment device, have to deal with minimum diameter
motor retention and figure out a nose mounted tracker. The room is very tight. My Tele-GPS fits in the NC but it's a tight fit. I threaded the hole in the coupler but may have to do PEM nuts in the near future. Some cram in an EggFinder but crunching up the antenna is going to effect the range unless the antenna is facing aft.

Yeah, one could say I don't care about the base drag and use an Aeropack retainer and not worry about having to use threaded rod/bulkhead for internal retention. That would be fine and help keep the ceiling down.

I did a 4" LOC tubed, plastic NC, motor deploy that probably got close to 2500' and worked with the stock J350M motor right off the bat. I don't recommend the GD 38 for L2 unless one has done a lot with MD H and I rockets.
If one wants to pick one up on sale and squirrel away for later build that's smart.

You have to find the rocket to get a successful certification. I agree with Tom that T2T is not needed for J's. Just use 40 grit to rough up the surfaces and use generous pro4500 epoxy and fillets. If going to 38mm K's well, then go to T2T with something. Also don't use my sled suggestion seen early in this thread. Use Jim Hendricksen's suggestion for the sled and not mine: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-community-build-thread&p=1462327#post1462327 His is way.....much......better than mine. I wanted to see if I could pull it off with one piece of all-thread but it effectively cuts down on the useful space. Don't do it! The hardware isn't available anymore anyways.

I think 9000' on a J350 is way too high an estimate for a rocket that has all the hardware needed for a flight with a tracker. It's still going high but the weight will hold it down.

I second the motion: Use a six grain motor, no tracker = no rocket recovery, lost rocket, Did Not Finish and failed L2 attempt.

I did a cardboard LOC tubed MD 38mm rocket with T2T on the 4 fins with a large payload bay for the EggTimer TRS. Used an Archetype cutter on the main so it was single deploy at apogee with the main held by the cutter.
The Mayhem railguide bound on the rail and was destroyed by the rocket. Rocket went 950mph and 8767 feet on a J500. The railguide was destroyed with just a few paint chips on two fins. It probably would have
done 500 feet higher. The rocket is lighter than the GD38 but has 4 fins that have larger surface area. If it weren't for the TRS GPS, rocket would have been lost. Completely sight unseen, landed 1.66 miles away and the GPStracker got me to it with no muss or fuss.

Unless one has some tracking experience under their belt, I strongly recommend against doing this kind of flying for an L2 attempt. If they've been flying ultra light L1 rockets to similar altitudes using tracking successfully well,
they're already used to working in tight spaces and by all means go for it. If been flying L1 rockets previously without tracking and expect to learn the art on their first L2 attempt with a screamer of a rocket, you'll need
guardian angels to control your flight attempt. Chances of a successful outcome are very low.

My attitude is keep it simple and once certified gradually advance yourself. I learn something new every time I GPS track as I'm always trying to tweak something to make things work better. Kurt

Kurt,
I've been following your builds and posts quite a bit. Not to be creepy or anything but I have. I assumed when you responded, I figured you would because a lot of this thread is your build, that you would say to get tracking experience first. I intend to get more tracking before I set her for L2. But then again that would take away one of the five milestones... I'm with you on the art of doing tracking. Probably should learn more on that scale. I'm working with a friend to get some sort of tracking with him on his ham license. Not using his license just getting further experience with/through him.
I see your concern with the space being tight and a minimum diameter and the altitude and all of that jazz.
I intend on using Jims setup for the sled. If I did add plies to the fin can I would add six glass corner tapes not plys.
I really don't plan to take this thing up on a K anytime soon. but I think the added strength will benefit a lake bed/desert landing reguardless.
I'm with Tom on the internal motor retention. I'd like to keep the drag low. The fiberglass plys will be a contact layup feathered into the G10 fins to help with drag.
Im only going off thrust curve for estimated altitudes. On a larger J in openrocket the file I have hits 12000 feet...If this thing is going, I might as well encourage it to keep going.

I've been a jet engine mechanic, composite technician and now electrical apprentice. Not saying I know everything about anything, or anything about everything for that matter. But I am saying I can read a thread like this, and with good input like yours with photos, I feel capable of building something like this.

I just need the tracking aspect and a little tiny eency bit of luck and all will be well. Prayers. Always the prayers, of course.

I'm the kind of guy who learns just as much by going for it than burning cash along the way learning slow.
I also only have one other L1 at my club who flies motor deploy zero tracking. I'd have to go out to Lucerne once a month just to chit chat and learn. To that end, it is only once a month. TRF is where i'm most likely going to get information. Im not building it tonight flying it tomorrow. It'll take time. I'll take my time. Hopefully all ya'll are willing to help along the way and in time we will see a successful level 2 punching miles high in a few months.

Wuddya say now? Still no way or have I built a little confidence? I'm not overly confident but i'm slightly crazy :bangpan::lol:

Last edited:
Read through this thread, too: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?133763-My-very-own-Go-Devil-38-build

Check out the sled for the nose cone. I've been using one in a RW/MC Formula 38, which has the same nose cone as the Go Devil. Took a little to get it in the cone the way I wanted it to work, but once I figured it out, it works well.

THAT IS SWEEEET!!! WOW! seriously. wow.

I'm going to reverse the corner tapes on mine. He did a step up layup under vacuum. i'll do a step down so I can sand the steps for a smooth transition without burning through the top two plies.

Thank you for pointing out the sled and cover. That is going to help out so much. Thank you!

Kurt,
I've been following your builds and posts quite a bit. Not to be creepy or anything but I have. I assumed when you responded, I figured you would because a lot of this thread is your build, that you would say to get tracking experience first. I intend to get more tracking before I set her for L2. But then again that would take away one of the five milestones... I'm with you on the art of doing tracking. Probably should learn more on that scale. I'm working with a friend to get some sort of tracking with him on his ham license. Not using his license just getting further experience with/through him.
I see your concern with the space being tight and a minimum diameter and the altitude and all of that jazz.
I intend on using Jims setup for the sled. If I did add plies to the fin can I would add six glass corner tapes not plys.
I really don't plan to take this thing up on a K anytime soon. but I think the added strength will benefit a lake bed/desert landing reguardless.
I'm with Tom on the internal motor retention. I'd like to keep the drag low. The fiberglass plys will be a contact layup feathered into the G10 fins to help with drag.
Im only going off thrust curve for estimated altitudes. On a larger J in openrocket the file I have hits 12000 feet...If this thing is going, I might as well encourage it to keep going.

I've been a jet engine mechanic, composite technician and now electrical apprentice. Not saying I know everything about anything, or anything about everything for that matter. But I am saying I can read a thread like this, and with good input like yours with photos, I feel capable of building something like this.

I just need the tracking aspect and a little tiny eency bit of luck and all will be well. Prayers. Always the prayers, of course.

I'm the kind of guy who learns just as much by going for it than burning cash along the way learning slow.
I also only have one other L1 at my club who flies motor deploy zero tracking. I'd have to go out to Lucerne once a month just to chit chat and learn. To that end, it is only once a month. TRF is where i'm most likely going to get information. Im not building it tonight flying it tomorrow. It'll take time. I'll take my time. Hopefully all ya'll are willing to help along the way and in time we will see a successful level 2 punching miles high in a few months.

Wuddya say now? Still no way or have I built a little confidence? I'm not overly confident but i'm slightly crazy :bangpan::lol:

Go for it then. Do you know it's perfectly fine for your Ham friend to hand you his 70cm GPS tracker (or RDF) whip out his APRS tracking radio (or RDF receiver), standby and let you use it and the receiver. The issue would be if he gave you his stuff while you went out to the launch and he stayed home. Heck, ham guy can hand you his receive station and tell you to go pickup "his" rocket that he/she has just flown. Yeah, that would be appropriate payback, go fetch his/her rocket.
The Ham guy needs to be present as the "control" operator of the transmitter, doesn't matter if it's your rocket or his rocket.

In fact I had a friend I could have spared him the pain of a ballistic flight if he would have mentioned his flight configuration to me. I would'a gasped, handed him my low powered BLGPS for a ground test and if the electronics
passed that, I would have been present for the flight. (The Rf of a high powered tracker shut down the altimeters and the rocket buried itself in a farm field.)

Only suggestion I can make is ask for an upper bay tube that is 2 to 3 inches longer as it would allow for a larger main chute for a softer landing hence less likely to dork a fin. Those Pro4500 fillets are really strong and if sticking
with J's is all that's needed. I think if you want to do a K, the stock sustainer tube is too short. A fellow posted he got his GD38 with a longer sustainer tube for a K.

I'm speaking from the point of view of having made a lot of mistakes already. I lucked out going to 10k on an L1400 and receiving one single position packet at altitude that was useless. Rocket came down within sight and was recovered. I can attest it's a really sick feeling when one loses positions or bearings from an Rf tracker GPS or RDF. There was nobody around to point out my stupid mistakes so if someone can read my drivel and it leads to a success for them, that's nice. Good luck. Kurt

Just a few minor comments.

Some cram in an EggFinder but crunching up the antenna is going to effect the range unless the antenna is facing aft.

I fly an EF in my GD38, has no trouble fitting in the NC without any "crunching" of the antenna. Pictures of my sled (2 actually, original kludge and newer 3D printed) are in post #85, I even use a bigger LiPo than it seems like most people do. If that antenna looked 'crunched' it's only because I didn't trim the shrink-wrap tubing exactly at the antenna end, I like leaving a bit extra, but of course the tubing gets floppy past the end of the brass rod.

Yeah, one could say I don't care about the base drag and use an Aeropack retainer and not worry about having to use threaded rod/bulkhead for internal retention. That would be fine and help keep the ceiling down.

Same with using attached rail guides rather than the fly-away kind. Doing any extra wrapping on the fins (mine has none, just Proline 4500 fillets) would probably help lower things as well both with the extra weight and not-as-good aerodynamics.

I did a 4" LOC tubed, plastic NC, motor deploy that probably got close to 2500' and worked with the stock J350M motor right off the bat. I don't recommend the GD 38 for L2 unless one has done a lot with MD H and I rockets.
If one wants to pick one up on sale and squirrel away for later build that's smart.

Same here, 4" Binder Excel w/DD for my L2, 3200' on a J315R, ~8.5 lbs pad weight. In sight the entire time, the Tripoli group I flew with had to see the main deployment to confirm a proper L2 flight, so I think there would have been issues if it went out of sight, the tracker helps recover the rocket but not necessarily find it while it's descending. Even using that rocket didn't go well the first time (okay, 3 tries to a successful L2), the fact that it was cardboard didn't help with the second flight attempt which resulted in a hard landing, FG would have probably been less repair, but I still would have preferred a 4" FG rocket over a 38mm MD for my L2.

I think 9000' on a J350 is way too high an estimate for a rocket that has all the hardware needed for a flight with a tracker. It's still going high but the weight will hold it down.

I'm not so certain. My GD38 with Eggfinder, StratoLogger CF, 2 900mAh 2s LiPos, Aero Pack MD retainer and all-thread to the Aerotech casing, an oversized case w/RAS, with an A3 strapped to the all-thread flew to 8550' on an I366R, pad weight was 60.1 oz. So that's 8550' on a 68%I vs. a 3%J. Tweaking my OR sim as high as I could get it to predict the I366R (8450', before I played with surfaces it predicted ~7500' for that motor) it says 9872' for the J350W (the 650Ns one, since OR has two different AT J350W's, the 700Ns one sims to 10.6k).

I second the motion: Use a six grain motor, no tracker = no rocket recovery, lost rocket, Did Not Finish and failed L2 attempt.

Yup. My I366R flight was out of sight well before apogee, if not for the tracker I wouldn't have even known which direction it went, let alone how far. The signal I was receiving from the tracker was my only evidence that it wasn't a lawn-dart (or in orbit). :p

Latest posts

Back