Rustoleum Primer - Wet Sanding Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried wet sanding Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Primer? It's the Painter's Touch formula.

009.jpg

I just primered my rocket with it and was considering wet sanding it with 600-800, but not sure if it react like automotive primers? I have two coats of primer. First coat went on really nice. After it dried I use a scotch bright scuffing pad and lightly went over the primer to remove any imperfections and then applied a second. I really like the coverage with this primer.

I just want a nice finish before laying down the top coat of paint so I thought wet sanding would do the trick. I used other primers from Duplicolor and Rustoleum, but they were the automotive finish and none of the primers were white. The rocket is going to be yellow so I definitely need the white primer.

Last edited:
You should be fine. Just make sure it's cured out all the way so it does't roll up un you. I would'nt use anything heavier than 600 grit to be safe.

I`ve used both the Duplicolor primers as well as these Paints.Touch 2X both white and grey ,and all I use are the 3M sanding pads in 220 and then 320 and the primer is smooth ,almost polished.

BUT....depending on how the primer was applied (sprayed over a dusty tube cause from sanding and not using a tack cloth before hand prior to spraying ,spraying too far from the object ,causing the primer to dry before it lands on the surface ,especially when applied at right angles ,or spraying in hot sunny conditions) you may get a rough ,grainy,sandy finish ,in which case more aggresive sanding will be required.

Surface prep. is always key ,and a tack cloth used to wipe down the surface is most important !

These are the pads I`m refering to ,they come in 220,320 and 400 and are one of the best I have ever used ,and trust me ,making fine furniture as a hobby ,I have tried them all......these kick ass ! When they get a little clogged ,you can rinse them in water ,let dry and use them at least once more.

HTH

Paul T

051111542354.jpg

I love the duplicolor white primer. Wet sand away--as others have said--just make sure she's cured first....

Later!

--Coop

Back