RunCam or Mobius

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailfish1957

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at either the RunCam or Mobius product line that I can mount with a printed Additive Aerospace mount on a IRIS LOC 3 (3" tube). I would like to hear any reviews all of you might have on which one is the best.
Thanks

I have the original Mobius camera purchased about 6 years ago. Works great, has very good video images.

This was first run on Quad copters and now has three flights on a 4" LOC Goblin in an Additive Aerospace shroud.
Set for 60fsp and high res.

I have read a little about differences in the various Mobius camera. Reseach this to ensure you get the version that works well.

I have the original Mobius camera purchased about 6 years ago. Works great, has very good video images.

This was first run on Quad copters and now has three flights on a 4" LOC Goblin in an Additive Aerospace shroud.
Set for 60fsp and high res.

I have read a little about differences in the various Mobius camera. Reseach this to ensure you get the version that works well.
Thanks!

I have a Möbius and had an original RunCam. They were both same size and liked them both. Both take great video. Unfortunately RunCam discontinued that model and came out with RunCam2 which was slightly larger. If size is a concern, get a Möbius.

I've been running a RunCam2 4k for some years now. Wonderful video and easy to work, and I can blue tooth to it with the phone app on the pad and see that it's recording before launch. Works well with the Addative Aerospace shrouds.

From my experience with both cameras…the mobius battery life is horrible, and you can’t swap the battery’s, making it pretty useless unless you fly a camera once a launch. RunCam 4K you can swap batteries at least and stay in the action. I have a few spare batteries that I can rotate as needed. It does have a bigger foot print and the shroud ends up being bigger, but the difference hasn’t usually made a difference for me.

I have a Möbius and had an original RunCam. They were both same size and liked them both. Both take great video. Unfortunately RunCam discontinued that model and came out with RunCam2 which was slightly larger. If size is a concern, get a
I've been running a RunCam2 4k for some years now. Wonderful video and easy to work, and I can blue tooth to it with the phone app on the pad and see that it's recording before launch. Works well with the Addative Aerospace shrouds.
Just ordered one and a AA shroud.

From my experience with both cameras…the mobius battery life is horrible, and you can’t swap the battery’s, making it pretty useless unless you fly a camera once a launch. RunCam 4K you can swap batteries at least and stay in the action. I have a few spare batteries that I can rotate as needed. It does have a bigger foot print and the shroud ends up being bigger, but the difference hasn’t usually made a difference for me.
Just ordered the RunCam and AA shroud.

Couple of things to note on a RunCam: they seem to be picky about the sd card that you put in it. Some research shows they need a specific sd card from Samsung or else they will have issues with looping or something something. I can tell you exactly which one it needs when I get home from work if you want. Also, don’t advise using the Wi-Fi to start recording, I’ve had it shut off as soon as I leave wifi zone. Ypu can just power on, hit the button and it starts flashing, indicating it’s recording. However, maybe it was user error as @Banzai88 seems to have done it just fine.

Don't know about RunCam. Flew a Mobius in the Additive shroud on my L2 cert flight. Great video (and nice souvenir edited together with some flight line video), easy to use and edit.

Couple of things to note on a RunCam: they seem to be picky about the sd card that you put in it. Some research shows they need a specific sd card from Samsung or else they will have issues with looping or something something. I can tell you exactly which one it needs when I get home from work if you want. Also, don’t advise using the Wi-Fi to start recording, I’ve had it shut off as soon as I leave wifi zone. Ypu can just power on, hit the button and it starts flashing, indicating it’s recording. However, maybe it was user error as @Banzai88 seems to have done it just fine.
Thanks. I bought a Samsung 128 GND that
i bought a Samsung 128 U3, because I read about the SD cards and this card is recommended by RunCam.
Question- what resolution are you using?

Thanks. I bought a Samsung 128 GND that

i bought a Samsung 128 U3, because I read about the SD cards and this card is recommended by RunCam.
Question- what resolution are you using?
I have been shooting in 2K to balance file size and good picture, and to get more then 30 fps. 2k will shoot at 60

I have a thread going on this and two replies thus far

I have read on other threads of issues with battery and Mobius and how the battery swap with the Run Cam 2 and 4k is better.
I have read that there are features no longer available on the 4K version of Run Cam.
I am finding that Run Cam has power on issues and you have to do a sequence and what I gather so far it is with the 4K version.
To confirm Rum Cam 4k needs the specific SD card but I did not find clarity on the Run Cam 2 version. Now there are several different Samsung 128 U3 cards but which one of those?

As I am reading this post, opinions are a little skewed here.
Specifically noting which Run Cam they are using same goes for Mobius. What model are you using??? Is it the New (orange case) 4K Run Cam or Run Cam 2 (black case)?
I spoke to a buddy who has the Mobius mini and he has battery life issues, He also told me there is info on how to adapt for a better battery life which now that alone cancels comparisons with weight and size.

Back