Runcam 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't get 4 or 5 to work, why would I want a #6?
Legitimate question. I went through a few Runcam 2 4Ks. Missed my L3 flight video because it shut off right before launch. I have some beautiful footage of tests in my backyard, but rocket flights, not so much.

I am hoping this one works. The thing is, there is no other mini action camera with this kind of image quality, IF you can get it to work. The Mobius is more reliable but not the same image quality.

that's the thing. I have never captured a flight video. They shut off, time out or just do not record on the card.
Yep. I do know a few people who have gotten great videos with them, some of whom have posted them here on TRF. My luck with Runcams has been the same as yours so far. I’m gonna roll the dice on the new one and see what happens.

Make sure you have the most resent firmware and also use only the memory card they recommend. I hated mine till I updated the firmware.

Make sure you have the most resent firmware and also use only the memory card they recommend. I hated mine till I updated the firmware.
Yep, Samsung card and latest firmware on my last RC 2 4K attempt. Very nice footage of the ground beneath the pad. Shut off a minute or so before launch.

I have a RunCam Split 3 that has taken more than a few successful videos. The trick with the RunCams (and probably most other similar cameras) is that they were designed for drones. Without air flowing over the electronics, they have a proclivity for overheating and shutting off. I added a large heat sink on the CPU.of mine which helped. I've still found that I cannot generally use it when it's really hot at a launch.

I have a RunCam Split 3 that has taken more than a few successful videos. The trick with the RunCams (and probably most other similar cameras) is that they were designed for drones. Without air flowing over the electronics, they have a proclivity for overheating and shutting off. I added a large heat sink on the CPU.of mine which helped. I've still found that I cannot generally use it when it's really hot at a launch.
I have a split 4. Haven’t flown it yet but have tested it a bit. Images are not as good as RC 2 4K but I like that you don’t have to open the case and re-cable the lens just so you can put just the lens outside of the air frame. It runs about 45 minutes before shutting off, with no heat sink added yet. I’m sure it would shut off sooner in a rocket sitting in the sun.

Do you have any footage posted from your 3? Any pics of how it’s mounted and/or your heat sink?

A new camera should come ready to use.
You’d think. Unfortunately it’s not just these little drone cameras. I went through three new Go Pro 11 Minis in a row when they were released. None of them would run for more than a few minutes without shutting off. (Amazon was good about the refunds.) The 11 Mini seemed perfect for wearing on my head when flying sailplanes, but I’m still using 9s and 10s because those have been very reliable for me.

I also had problems with the RunCam's shutting off after overheating. Following the advice of others, I built a runcam split mount that fits in a 54mm fiberglass body tube (at the shoulder of the nose cone). I added a heat sink to the CPU and use an Eggtimer WiFi switch to turn the unit on and off, so it doesn't overheat while sitting on the pad.

2024-01-28-15-28-01-large-jpg.626755
2024-01-28 15.28.06 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• 2024-01-28 15.28.01 (Large).jpg
    2024-01-28 15.28.01 (Large).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 96
I have a split 4. Haven’t flown it yet but have tested it a bit. Images are not as good as RC 2 4K but I like that you don’t have to open the case and re-cable the lens just so you can put just the lens outside of the air frame. It runs about 45 minutes before shutting off, with no heat sink added yet. I’m sure it would shut off sooner in a rocket sitting in the sun.

Do you have any footage posted from your 3? Any pics of how it’s mounted and/or your heat sink?
I do but they are not accessible at the moment. I'll post here when I can access them.
I should add that I also use an Eggtimer WiFi switch to turn the camera on as late as possible to avoid overheating.

I have also added heat sinks to my RC splits. The RC 2 4k's I have are always on a shroud outside, so perhaps that's why I've never had a heating problem? Even in summer in south Texas. Bit yeah I totally agree that anything inside the avbay needs cooling. I have even added heat sinks to my eggtimer wifi switches and any of their altimeters with BT. Those BT modules get hot too and I've had them shut down on me while sitting on the pad. Since I've added heatsinks I have not had that problem.

I bought one to test making shrouds. I have a few projects in front of that.

Back