Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After shaping, the plugs were withdrawn and had their beveled edges test fitted together. They fit.

rgl-const-105.jpg

A bit of Titebond II was smeared across one of the beveled faces and the two plugs were pressed together and then separated and allowed almost to dry.

rgl-const-106.jpg

When the glue had almost set, a bit more was spread and the two pieces were pressed together again. This time, care was taken to make sure the tick marks lined up so that the resulting coupler would be at a 45 deg angle. The two pieces were clamped together to dry.

rgl-const-107.jpg

While the spliced coupler set up, boom tube #3 was located and a baffle was glued into place near the upper end with Titebond III.

rgl-const-108.jpg

rgl-const-109.jpg

Pod tube 3 and its attendant reducer were located and the two were joined with an application of Titebond III.

rgl-const-110.jpg

rgl-const-111.jpg

When the spliced coupler had sat for a while in the clamp, I figure it was safe to remove and inspect. I did not use it yet, however, because I wanted to give the glue a chance to fully cure.

rgl-const-112.jpg

rgl-const-113.jpg

rgl-const-114.jpg

A ring of Titebond III was swabbed around the upper end of the boom tube and the angled coupler was inserted (after fishing through the kevlar!). Great care was taken to make sure the alignment ticks lined up.

rgl-const-115.jpg

rgl-const-116.jpg

rgl-const-117.jpg

rgl-const-118.jpg

Motor tube #3 was located and a pair of opposing lines was marked along its length. For this long tube, a doorframe worked better than the Estes Angle.

rgl-const-119.jpg

A template was applied to the upper end of Motor Tube 3 and it was cut to the angle in the same way as all the others.

rgl-const-120.jpg

rgl-const-121.jpg

Another pair of balsa BT50 plugs was selected, marked and drilled in the same manner as before.

rgl-const-122.jpg

The plugs were then sanded to their angle and a bit of Titebond III was swabbed through their interior for some protection. It makes no difference that the plugs are of different lengths. I ordered what was in stock.

rgl-const-123.jpg

The bottom tip of Motor Tube 3 was scuffed with some sandpaper and then a light ring of JB Weld was applied.

rgl-const-124.jpg

rgl-const-125.jpg

The inner fitting of a Rocketarium.com motor retainer was then slipped into place and the excess JB Weld smoothed into a fillet with my finger.

rgl-const-126.jpg

The pieces for the recently fabricated angled coupler were glued together with a double glue joint.

rgl-const-127.jpg

A fairly arbitrary mark was made on the upper end of the boom tube to align the top ping pong ball. The first ball was then slid into place and glued with Titebond Molding and Trim Glue (hereafter TMT).

rgl-const-128.jpg

rgl-const-129.jpg

Pod Base Tube 3 was then glued to the angled coupler with Titebond III. Extreme care was taken to make sure the alignment was good.

rgl-const-130.jpg

rgl-const-131.jpg

rgl-const-132.jpg

rgl-const-133.jpg

rgl-const-134.jpg

The first ball was given a while to set up and then the next six were added using TMT, each snugged up against the previous ball.

rgl-const-135.jpg

rgl-const-136.jpg

rgl-const-137.jpg

Believe it or not, the angled slices in the tubes were not all that pretty. I didn't figure they would be and planned on some wiggle room.

rgl-const-138.jpg

rgl-const-139.jpg

Some Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty was applied to the seam and smoothed out with a finger.

rgl-const-140.jpg

rgl-const-141.jpg

The JB Weld on the motor tube was by no means cured at this point but I did deem it to be stiff enough so that I could place the outer ring. That way it won't get lost as easily!

rgl-const-142.jpg

I took a look at Drogue Pod 3, previously glued together, and figured that it would not hurt anything to go ahead and glue the other recovery pods to their transitions. Pod 1 was as Pod 3. Pods 2 and 4 were similar but with longer tubes.

rgl-const-143.jpg

rgl-const-144.jpg

When the putty had dried, I started sanding away the excess using paper, a sanding stick and, occasionally, a file.

rgl-const-145.jpg

rgl-const-146.jpg

rgl-const-147.jpg

The problem with putty, though, is that it is delicate and not very durable. To help make it more so, I drizzled some thin CA into the putty and let it soak in.

rgl-const-148.jpg

rgl-const-149.jpg

There were still a few, smaller divots in the joint so, after the CA had set, another layer of putty was applied.

rgl-const-150.jpg

rgl-const-151.jpg

Ah, now I see, your building a rocket powered Cootie.

you mean one of these guys?

120720_SCI_cootiegameEX.png

I remember playing this game a bunch with my sister. We also just used to build them and play with them sans game.

Back