RRC2 and moisture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
I have an RRC2 that landed on the edge of a pond and it got reasonably wet. To my surprise, however, it was still beeping out the altitude when I recovered it. I dried it as best I could and let it sit for several days and it now seems to be operating perfectly. I won't be trusting it, however, and a new one will be on its way soon.

It got me to thinking, though, as to how moisture-resistant these things are. Has anyone ever successfully used one after its gotten wet like this? If there are any success stories, I might use it as a backup alt in a rocket I don't care much about...or otherwise I may just donate to our club as a teaching device or somesuch.

Yep , I have dunked Missleworks, Adept, and Perfectflites .

In the middle of ponds 2-3 feet underwater for anywhere from 15 minutes to 1-2 hours.

Just rinse with distilled water, dry on car dash in hot sun & go fly them.

It would not bother me for an instant to use one that's been wet, because I do!

Of course you must test it first, if all the beepes are correct you are good to go.

First time it happened I called Jim Amos [Missleworks] and he told me about rinsing with distilled water to remove any crud from the pond water.

As long as its dry..... your good to fly!!

I've had Missile Works, Perfect flight, and even G-Wiz units take a bath in the drink. The best course of action is to remove power immediately then; dry them off for at least 24hrs.

JD

Don't worry. Water is not a good electrical conductor, and altimeter voltage is very low. Wash it with dilled water and then, if you have it, use a contact cleaner, like this:
contact-cleaner.JPG

My RRC2 Mini has been under water for over 2 hours as well, Once retrieved I immediately removed the battery and put it on the defroster in my van.

Once I got home I cleaned it with contact cleaner as Adriano stated and it has worked great ever since, That was 2 years ago.

Actually the contact cleaner is what I clean my altimeters with every couple of months, Got mine at Radio Shack.

Gary,

Do you have to worry about the contact cleaner doing anything to the other parts of the board? Like removing finish or some such thing. I don't know how harsh the stuff is (isn't?).
Adrian

Gary,

Do you have to worry about the contact cleaner doing anything to the other parts of the board? Like removing finish or some such thing. I don't know how harsh the stuff is (isn't?).
Adrian

Never had a problem, The spray is made for circuit boards and intricate electronics, Once you spray it on it dries almost instantly.

Gary,

Thanks. I've never dealt with anything like that before. I deal with auto style voltage, 6 to 24 volt stuff with corrosion you have to chisel off.
Adrian

Wow! I never woulda thought it was useable again! Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

for folks that have vacuum pumps, water hates a vacuum,, it "boils" away,, I have saved a cell phone by removing battery right away,, putting it under a vacuum for 15mins. BUT if your wife sends a Blackberry through the wash,,, it will be toast,, clean toast,, but toast:kill:

I always thought it was the baro sensor that was ruined by water.

Would sticking it in uncooked white rice work too? That is supposed to be a good idea for cellphones and other electronic stuff that gets wet.

I always thought it was the baro sensor that was ruined by water.

Would sticking it in uncooked white rice work too? That is supposed to be a good idea for cellphones and other electronic stuff that gets wet.

The rice will probably work, but you can buy desiccant at Home Depot in various amounts and that will work much better.

My RRC2 was in a tree for 3 months in the GA heat and rain. It still works.

Latest posts

Back