Rotary Tool Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut56

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a rotary tool for awhile, but as I was planning on only using it for light duty jobs, didn't want to pay for a Dremel or similar tool. I was a diesel mechanic for years and know that sometimes your foolish to not get the best tool you need, but this wasn't one of those times. I've been using this "Hyper Tough" brand from Walmart for several months now, and am very satisfied with the performance and battery life of this tool. I think I paid around $25 for this tool and a small assortment of attachments. Again, I'm only using it for light duty grinding or cutting jobs, but it does the tasks with no problems (although do wear eye protection when using the cut-off wheels--they are flimsy). Also it does accept Dremel attachments. I have the same brand cordless drill and can recommend it for light jobs.

Grinder.jpg Drill.jpg

Can you use it to cut G-10 fiberglass fins? I have a set that are just a bit too deep (from root edge to outer tip) that need to be trimmed down a little bit so they sit in the slots they are meant to go into.

I've never used it for that, but is should be able too. You may have to get a better quality cut-off wheel (Dremel or similar brand). Also, I've never used it for more than a minute or two, but from I can tell, the battery life on this should last for a bigger job like what your describing. Another thing I like about it is the speed is adjustable from 5K to 25K by 5K increments.

I have used the off brands before also. They do work well. But some of these, if you can see the labels, have more than 15 years of use. The dremel cut off wheels are made just like the larger stuff, Dewalt and so on. The are very good quality.

Attachments

• dremel 002.JPG
    dremel 002.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 36
I have a couple of off brands that I use. Dremels seem to be quieter. I still use them and keep them mounted with specific tools.

I already had Milwaukee 12v cordless tools..
I wanted a cordless moto tool to keep with me in my truck just in case anybody needed it..
I went with the Milwaukee, ( I already had multiple batteries and chargers ) it works well, I don't see any problems with it at all..

Teddy

My first Dremel 382 lasted for over 30 years of heavy use, and my newer 4000 has been going for the better part of a decade now (with the ESC giving much more constant torque). They are not rated for continuous duty but on occasion I've pushed that. IMO they are well worth the money - I think over my career the average cost has been about $3/year. I've used a few borrowed clones over the years and they were not too reassuring. The Dremel is probably my most used rocketry tool, YMMV.

I have heard that the imports can sometimes be improved by putting a genuine Dremel chuck on them.

@sandeja A sanding drum or a diamond straight bit on a Dremel will rip thru fiberglass in no time. I've fixed up a lot of tight glass fins with mine. I also use the sanding drum to scuff up the root edges for epoxy adhesion.

I have 3 RTs - Dremel (gets used 90%+ of the time), a right angle PROXXON (for those jobs) and one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32837030522.html

Which I purchased purely because it had a reverse switch. Why more rotary tools don't have this functionality is beyond me [sigh]. Anyway... for those grinding jobs when you're sick of getting filings and whatnot flung up into your face.

TP

Last edited:
The Dremel my dad had from the 70's needs new bearings but other than that still works fine. I used it as a young cub scout to polish the "axles" of my pinewood derby car with 4000 grit paper and graphite. Got second place that year. I've somehow killed 3 Dremels in the same amount of time.

Back