Ronz Rockets and his friends

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What great videos! I HATE most videos of rocket because the person taking them has no idea what they are doing. Auto focus... SERIOUSLY?
LOL!
But @Ronz Rocketz and his friends, for the most part make videos WORTH watching!
Thank you for all the time you take. I wish I was there in Hawaii with you!
The one thing thing peeves me is I have two Estes Altimeters and they ALWAYS fail. Always say Zero. I gave up. Threw them in the trash.
Jolly Logic costs twice as much (or more) but always seem to work!

Two improvements, Label the rockets as subtitles instead of the timeline. And tell us WHOSE rocket it is! Cheers and keep up the great work!

Last edited:
That's awesome. Mahalo nui!

Over the years, I've improved my equipment and technique. I'm always trying to find interesting rockets to build and fly, and Gary has closets and closets full of rockets to fly.

I've kinda given up with the onscreen text due to glitches in the software I'm using. So far, I haven't been motivated to upgrade to a professional video editing software. Maybe someday...

I try to include the rocket owner's name. Gary is very diligent about providing me with rocket names, photos, and motors. I don't add my name to my rockets but you can tell they're mine if I give it points. 1 for launch, 1 for up, 1 for recovery, 1 for returned, and bonus points for altimeter, cam, RaceRender, JLCR, etc. I add 5 points for each additional flier. A 40 point day is very good.

BTW, if anyone's tired of winter weather, this is the best time to visit Hawaii. @BABAR did it. I promise we'll find a day to visit the park. With Kilauea active, it's been very voggy for the past three days. Makes for lovely orange sunsets.

1673600512061.png
1673600578825.png

Last edited:
I was wondering what older GoPro or the like I could use for a so-mo pad cam? It would have to be cheap, meaning I don't need anything recent (I think?)

While its been a tad wet, SoCal weather is still the best in the 48. But visiting Mauna Kea would be GRAND!

I was wondering what older GoPro or the like I could use for a so-mo pad cam? It would have to be cheap, meaning I don't need anything recent (I think?)

While its been a tad wet, SoCal weather is still the best in the 48. But visiting Mauna Kea would be GRAND!
Slomo needs 120fps for /6 speed and 240fps for slower. The GoPro3 can do 720p at 120fps so not great resolution at 1080p. The GoPro8 and 10 can do 240fps but find this is too many frames for my amateur editing software. Cell phones and GoPros are terrible at zooming to a fast moving rocket in the sky so rely on my Handycam with 60x zoom at 60fps.

Mauna Loa is inactive now and the vog comes from the Halemaumau crater at Kilauea. Apparently the air quality is supposed to get bad tomorrow.

I want to visit and observe from the Onizuka parking lot. 9000' MSL if I recall correctly.
Ron let me ask you one question:
You do a GREAT job and I love your videos... however you too rely on auto-focus. Can't you just turn that off and set the manual focus to infinity?
I don't (currently) do video. My 7D can still make great images at its measy 18mp and 9 FPS.

However I would love to try close in slo - motion (especially my HPR flights) - But I am limited in funds (a lot at the moment!) Thats why I'd try and find something that can do the job that is not on the cutting edge and therefore (hopefully) cheaper

If this deserves its own thread, I am sure someone will chime in and say so. :)

I want to visit and observe from the Onizuka parking lot. 9000' MSL if I recall correctly.
Ron let me ask you one question:
You do a GREAT job and I love your videos... however you too rely on auto-focus. Can't you just turn that off and set the manual focus to infinity?
I don't (currently) do video. My 7D can still make great images at its measy 18mp and 9 FPS.

However I would love to try close in slo - motion (especially my HPR flights) - But I am limited in funds (a lot at the moment!) Thats why I'd try and find something that can do the job that is not on the cutting edge and therefore (hopefully) cheaper

If this deserves its own thread, I am sure someone will chime in and say so. :)
Sorry. Missed your reply. With the Handycams, there’s a trade off between stability and focus. The cam tries but it’s difficult to find a small dot in the sky if there’s little contrast. Fluffy clouds work best. As they descend, the focus is easier. Sometimes zooming in and out helps the focus. When they can loses focus for a long time, I tend to edit out (unless we say something interesting).

Back