Rolling Out The Winter Builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck Gary, I don't know if I'd even mess with it. It gives it a "used machinery" kind of look—like weathering/oil spray. You get what I'm trying to say. I think it's a happy accident.

It's not like it doesn't have enough paint on it already. There's primer, a flat white base coat, 2 coats of gloss white, 2 coats of gloss orange....no tellin' how many ounces that put on it. We'll see. I may or may not. Kind of burned out with painting this month anyway. Heck, I have another upscale Sprite I was trying to finish also. The first one uses a 4" peanut can I cut for the ring, and the new one sports a 6" ring I took from a Great Value coffee can. Those coffee cans are some tough cans.

I had a heck of a time getting this Sprite finished. I was so confident about all my work being right, that I overlooked something REALLY embarrassing AFTER I PAINTED IT! One of the fins got out of alignment prior to me assembling the ring and fin tip and I didn't even see it. I had a lot of fun digging through that Tightbond II on the ring and heating the root edge up for a "bend & slip" adjustment. Then I had to repair the booger it left on the ring....sigh. 4....FOUR Bondo apps and sands later, I thought I had nailed it. So it got repainted. Finally, after 2-3 weeks of &@#%ing around with this rocket, I got it finished today. It sports a BT 70 and is 18" tall. I thought it would be proper to show the screw up from a business end view also.

Big Sprite Aft.jpg

100_1182.jpg

Back