Rogers Knobel SR-71 Blackbird Giant Remote Control Turbine Jet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1lYGUROZ_Pg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYGUROZ_Pg[/video]

WOW, NICE, Way out of my budget! Technically speaking , it's an A-12--but who cares--still impressive!!

He has around 12 thousand to 15 in that bird the red glow was not flames from the turbines but led lights to make it look scale but I have never seen a real black bird with white on it.

A very neat model. Loved the red LED's inside to simulate the afterburners.

It is not black with white. It is black with natural unpainted Titanium. Supposedly the black "paint" is a coating that helps to absorb radar. The A-12's were only painted with it on the bottom and wing leading edges, while the SR-71's seemed to have it everywhere but the windows.

a12.jpg

With D-21 drone:

sr71_blackbird-550x297.jpg

As an R/C pilot who is not very comfortable flying things fast horizontally, I can really appreciate his choice in doing the A12, unless he simply purely loves the A-12 over the SR-71 and did not do it for the following reason. Because with the lighter color of Titanium on top, it is much easier as a pilot to visually determine the roll orientation of the model. With an all black SR-71, at a distance, it looks exactly the same if rolled 90 degree towards you as 90 degrees away from you. So if you have lost knowing where it ought to be banked, the only clue you get in trying to roll it "up" is after the roll starts, to see if the rudders are pointed up (good!) or pointed down (Oh-***!).
I did get to do a few flights of the old HobbyLabs SR-71 Rocket Glider. And that was one of the issues I had, trying to visually determine the correct roll orientation (nearly all my rocket gliders are black on bottom and light colored on top, and most of my R/C planes at least have light colors on the top of the wingtips, like yellow on a red wing). That SR-71 kit was more of a problem because the things had way more aileron throw than I would have liked to have had if those had been my own models. And at least one of them, it was owned by a newbie at R/C who wanted me to help sort if out for him. I did what I could, but there was no practical way to adjust the amount of roll, it was "built-in" that way, and he was using a very simple bare bones radio, nothing to adjust transmitter-wise.

Compare that to the best-ever roll orientation color scheme, at least for a real-world vehicle, to make a flying model of. The Space Shuttle. Black on bottom, white on top, plus the big white fin/rudder sticking up, the greatest vertical fin/rudder height to wingspan ratio of anything I can think of (while with the SR-71, if it is banked about 30 degrees the rudders get hidden by the wings or merge inside the silhouette of the wings). Only on the cruddiest of overcast hazy days, or flying with the sun near the background to silhouette it, was it not easy to see the roll orientation of the shuttle.

Edit addition: I forgot to say I've flown an R/C Flight Simulator (Real Flight 6) with the SR-71 as one of the R/C models. Really nice and fun to fly, but definitely that issue with the roll orientation with an all black model. Though the sim also has an option for seeing a close-up view of the model, for that very reason, as often the models become a "dot" on screen when in real life the model would appear more recognizeable at a distance than a "dot" on the computer screen (depending on how far and how big/small the model). Next time I try it, I'll see if there is an A-12 paint scheme for it

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Holy crap. I'm glad my flying skills won't allow that!
I don't fly anything I don't mind losing. If I put that much time, work and money into something like that, I'd be seriously afraid to ever fly it. I've seen too many crashes of absolutely beautiful, expensive, custom-built planes to risk that myself.

This Norwegian RC club is nuts, but the right kind of nuts. They have many interesting videos:

[video=youtube;FFDht4Vw9WE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDht4Vw9WE[/video]

Back