Rocksim Accuracy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alyssdelga000

Reaction score
Hello! My question is whether setting our Rocksim items to polished, unfinished, or rough will ensure the best accuracy. My class recently presented our rocket design to engineers and they mentioned that in Rocksim, different parts will not always be polished. Therefore I was hoping anyone could explain some differences between them, I have researched but have not been able to find helpful advice. My rocket is a high power design, and needs to return in one piece. Thank you for your time!

Rocksim uses the surface finish of the parts to estimate the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) so you should model the parts as close to how you expect the parts to be. It really only makes a difference on parts that will be the external skin of your rocket. That being said- you can change the surface finish and look to see what the effect on the overall Cd is.

Rocksim uses the surface finish of the parts to estimate the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) so you should model the parts as close to how you expect the parts to be. It really only makes a difference on parts that will be the external skin of your rocket. That being said- you can change the surface finish and look to see what the effect on the overall Cd is.
It's interesting, in open rocket on my rocket gliders where the wing is fairly thick IE 6 mm and large, the surface finish choice between unfinished and smooth painted is about 200 ft difference in altitude even with the low thrust long burn motors I'm using but the simulation with unfinished surfaces is closer to reality in my case maybe because of the light surface texture of the foam...

Back