RocKontroller 1 potential safety issue.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermesf

Frank Hermes - Father of the RockeTiltometerTM
Reaction score
It has been reported that in at least one instance, a user who does not follow proper operating instructions and prematurely connects an e-match to the PAD unit and then turns on the PAD unit, could cause premature ignition of the e-match rather than the getting the warning tones that should occur. Any owner/user of a RocKontroller 1 system is advised to read Technical Bulletin #TB002 on the web site...

Frank Hermes, President
Rocket Electronics LLC
www.RocketElectronics.com

Oh man. I am a big fan of a simple launch system. Nothing beats the old systems with 2 wires and a battery. The more deliberate acts required in order to light the motor, the better.

Even back in the day when I was flying E-G motors at the local soccer fields, I would always make sure the controller was locked out and the battery was unplugged before approaching an unlit motor on the pad. I have always tapped the clips together before hooking to an igniter. Maybe we need OSHA-like LOTO safety procedures?

I am making this pledge: I will NEVER use a continuity check again unless I am at a distance and the situation is such that I would be comfortable flying the rocket from. Much like gun trigger etiquette: "only point the barrel of a gun at something you intend to shoot, and only place your finger on the trigger if the barrel is pointing at something you intend to shoot."

Since this is designed for airstarts, this is pretty serious. I wonder if anybody out there has come up with an easy way to remotely arm airstart electronics...

Since this is designed for airstarts...
Since what is designed for airstarts? You may be confusing the Tiltometer with the device being discussed here, which is a wireless pad launch controller.

Anyone out there have one of these? Pros/Cons? Safe? I have been thinking of getting one to use at the away cell for our club.

Back