Rocketry Warehouse Sub-Lime Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The transition is epoxied on to the fin can. Aeropoxy again. Gotta use that stuff up. Too thick for my liking.

2013-10-31-Sublime-0001-2.jpg

With the transition cured it was time for the hardest part of the build; The external fillets. Lots of taping off to do as this stuff will get everywhere! :y:

Here's the Proline 4500 measured and mixed. I ended up using 15gm of resin and 2.4 gm of hardener. I kept the fillets small and this turned out to be a frugal amount with not too much waste.

I had to be extra slow drawing the back tip of the plastic spoon across the fillet to get it all filled in.

2013-11-01-Sublime-0001.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0002.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0004.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0005.jpg

As soon as it's poured and smooth carefully get rid of the paper and tape and let cure.

2013-11-01-Sublime-0007.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0008.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0009.jpg

This is the second set.
2013-11-01-Sublime-0011.jpg

One more to go...

At this rate you will have it done before your new job on Monday. With that beautiful body tube, there won't be any painting involved. I expect to see this rocket fly next weekend at ROCstock. Great build Jeff, I'm going back and re-working all the pem nuts I have installed with epoxy clay now.

Rough up the tube a little and make sure to grease the threads but not tubing.
ROCStock will be a last minute thing if I go. Probably have to get there Saturday mid-day and hope to fly lots on Sunday.

Final fillet laid down. Overall I am pretty happy. I didn't get the stuff all over the rocket or myself! I didn't measure the width of the fillets so they vary a bit. You OCD guys will just need to take a Valium and relax. These are toy rockets.

2013-11-01-Sublime-0002-2.jpg

And with that last fillet everything is about done. I just have to join the transition to the 3 inch (76mm) tubing. Then a quick cleaning of everything... some vinyl of course!... and some Armor All.

So it's time for a quick "Lets see what it'll look like..."

2013-11-01-Sublime-0003-2.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0004-2.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0005-2.jpg 2013-11-01-Sublime-0006.jpg

Final fillet laid down. Overall I am pretty happy. I didn't get the stuff all over the rocket or myself! I didn't measure the width of the fillets so they vary a bit. You OCD guys will just need to take a Valium and relax. These are toy rockets.

The rocket is looking AWESOME and that comment makes me smile.

Very nice. Don't forget the rail buttons....... Maybe I'll see you next weekend.

I know if you told me to fly straight, I certainly would!

Final step was to break out the vinyl cutter. I did several test cuts using some other color that I had plenty of. The Apple Green was the best I could find on short notice without running all over Los Angeles. Of course I paid through the nose $2 a square foot. I normally try and stick to (pun) 30 - 40 cents a square foot.

Anyways after some design adjustments because I can only cut a max of 6.4 inches in width I got started.

I added a roll pattern of sorts.

2013-11-03-Sublime-0001.jpg

Then I got started on the fins and all the weeding of vinyl that took... its the hardest part.

2013-11-03-Sublime-0002.jpg

And the final results are in. Its okay!

10658903344_ae64592ce0_b.jpg

I mean it's not exactly what I wanted, but the size of the fins dictates that I could not cut that large a width. So I went with plan B. I'll do. I guess I'll try Armour-All after the vinyl sets for a spell.

10658893636_2a3155b04e_b.jpg

10658901396_7cfa573956_b.jpg

2013-11-03-Sublime-0008.jpg

Assuming this weighs about 14 pounds what chute would you use? It's gotta fit in a 4 inch diameter space and I launch on hard ground.
Also, given the length I think the standard CTI 2gm of Black Powder would need at least another gram. Yes? That's a long area to pressurize and a big chute to kick out.

Coming from the kid who put 2.5 grams in a 2 inch diameter tube, I say put more in. Even though I prefer to oversize my charges just a little...
:y:

Did you check with an online calculator?

Assuming this weighs about 14 pounds what chute would you use? It's gotta fit in a 4 inch diameter space and I launch on hard ground.
Also, given the length I think the standard CTI 2gm of Black Powder would need at least another gram. Yes? That's a long area to pressurize and a big chute to kick out.
2.5 grams for drouge or main works in my Sublime.

I've used 84" inch top flight or 60"inch wildman recon chutes with success.

Careful not to get your chute stuck down in the transition cavern.

Well I did get a Rocketman R7 (7ft or 2.1m) chute / burrito rolled and a cable cutter on it. I also added a 1.5 grams additional BP to the 2 grams already in the CTI K360 reload. Blow it out or blow it up I am told. :lol:

The chute bundle with cable cutter slides in loosely when bundled in the protector. It can not slip too far back (I believe) because the 'chute protector leash' is attached to the same loop as the chute itself in order to keep the bundle near the nose (so as to not pull on the wire to the cable cutter).

Latest posts

Back