• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Rocketry record-keeping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
Who actually keeps the "world records" for rocketry? A lot of folks say that it's in the Guinness Book, but apparently Guinness doesn't keep those records at all. The only things even related to rocketry in the version available online are about "largest rocket" and "most powerful rocket" and the somewhat darker "most people killed in a rocket accident."

Now, I know that the official governing bodies like NAR, TRA, CAR, UKRA, etc. keep their own records for certain categories (duration, altitude), but is there an official global body who keeps records such as the upcoming attempt at "largest simultaneous launch" at Plaster Blaster in a few weeks? I remember there was a thread a while back that implied that Guinness was there to verify the attempt, or something like that. But when I looked online at the Guinness site, that attempt isn't listed. When I talked to Andy Woerner (organizer of the 1000 Mosquito Swarm) about it this past weekend, he said that nobody from Guinness would be at our launch either, since they charge a hefty fee for the creation of a new category, and we're not willing to fork over that much money. Apparently, nobody from Omaha was, either, despite what was reported.

All in all, the record itself doesn't mean much - it's more of a bragging rights kind of thing. That and being able to look back 60 years from now and say, "why, I recollect back in aught-6, when we launched a thousand of them little things, and we thought it was a big deal back then... nowadays, kids shoot off that many on the weekend just for fun! But we made all of them buggers by hand, I tell ya - not with one of those new-fangled replicator thingies."

So anyway, is there an official record, and who keeps track of it?

WW

Silly Stunts like Mass Launches, longest bungie jump, or the like really don't deserve to be Held as Historical records, so Guinness would seem to be the appropriate "Trivial pursuits type" format.
I believe FAI keeps the World records for international flying sports, while the Nar and others keep US National records.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
FAI for world rocketry records and NAR/TRA for US National Records

No. FAI for FAI world rocketry records. There are other records that are set, and they need logging too, as with NAR/TRA. That is precisely why there is a UKRA records section for UK records (UKRA being the United Kingdom Rocketry Association, now in its 10th year of operations).

Previously in the UK, the records not logged by the FAI were recorded by John Bonsor of Scottish model and high power rocketry group, STAAR Research (STAAR Research having been founded back in 1986/1987), and by John Pitfield of Rocket Services (since the late 1970's) who records a voluminous store of information on rocketry.

All the best,

Richard
(Responsible for the UKRA Records Section for the last 7-8 years)

Okay, so now I know that FAI doesn't have any info about largest number of rockets launched simultaneously. No such records are reported online.

Likewise, NAR does not have any reported information about largest simultaneous launch available in its records pages.

So again I ask: Is there anyone who actually keeps track of this type of record, or is it just a game of "My fish was bigger than your fish" when nobody has any "official" measurement or recording that a fish was ever even caught by either party?

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Okay, so now I know that FAI doesn't have any info about largest number of rockets launched simultaneously. No such records are reported online.

Likewise, NAR does not have any reported information about largest simultaneous launch available in its records pages.

So again I ask: Is there anyone who actually keeps track of this type of record, or is it just a game of "My fish was bigger than your fish" when nobody has any "official" measurement or recording that a fish was ever even caught by either party?

WW

Your Exactly correct, No one "KEEPS" these records UNLESS you want to Pay for it;) It's like Paying to have your name recorded as an author, or some of the other "Vanity books" out there.
Mass launches are a Stunt, If you can get some local coverage you'll be doing great. I'm planning one for a year or two from now, building support and funding in advance. but it's just for FUN.
Seriously Will; Seems like nobody really cares about such records, unless you want to spend some bucks to have Guiness book, or one of the others to come out and record it, you'll just have to take a lot of pics and record the event as best you can.

Shoot; We launched the Very First model rocket of the 21st century but no one but myself and a few dozen other local folks had a clue. We Talked it up for months, Called everyone I could think of that Might think it was worth reporting, Local media was informed but didn't show up even after saying they would, FAA said it was fine as long as I didn't go over 300ft at midnight, even my MR club didn't really particapate...It just wasn't that important to anyone but a few of us;(

Document your mosquito swarm launch...enjoy it.. than move on;)

WW,

I have looked high and low myself for these all-time altitude records, without any great success. Since club and Rocketry organizations stick to their own, It makes it hard for the people that want to know these things. After all, rocketry is about details, and for many, the more the better.

Back