Ripstop Nylon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketfreak

Reaction score
Hello,

What is "rip-stop nylon" and how do you tell that what you have is it? I went to a Hancocks cloth store to buy some nylon. I'd heard about those names so I was looking for it on the rolls. None of them said anything about it. All it said was 100% nylon. It was a nice green color and was pretty cheap so if it doesnt work oh well. I also noticed the way the cloth was made was different from other pre-existing parachutes. Mine have a square like pattern when held up to light but the cloth doesnt. Its just plain old nylon cloth. Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Chris H.

The square patterned nylon is RipStop. The squares are heavier threads in the weave. These are stronger than the surrounding threads and will tend to "stop" a tear in progress. Doesn't always work out that way, but does make a light, but more tear resistant material...

FWIW,
-bill

Chris:
Bill is correct about the cross hatch reinforcing thread pattern, the material is used a good bit for rain coats, unbralla shrouds, and outdoor covers, It is a yard goods product that just about every fabric store i've visited had a least a roll of yellow and red. Places like Jo-ann Fabrics has a whole range of colors. I think about 8 or 10. I make hemi-Chutes from 6" to 48" from the stuff.
I'm not sure if this photo will help but does show a couple of the colors available.

Anyone got a good online source? We don't have a Joann's Fabrics here, and all the places I could find were anywhere from $7 to $13/yd.

Kermie...
Did you try Wally World? I haven't looked lately but, they usually have some from time to time. Usually in the "$1 per yard" sale bin.

Yeah, I looked and came up blank. I'm looking for particular colors as well.

What Color Kermie?
I have a small amount of most of the colors I could find. could give my better 2/3rds a reason to viisit the fabric shop? How much are you looking for? Most of the reams were 54" wide, I'm thinking they all ran about $4- $6 per yard down here, and that was at least 2 years ago. I'd be glad to look. Colors did seem to be rather limited. I know I still have some in White, Black, red, orange, yellow, and blue. Humm, I'll have to check the stock bin this evening:)

Dmorey:
That's a Great link! Your correct the Jo-Ann Fabric material is 2oz/yd. this 1.1 oz looks very nice thou a bit steep a 10.50/yd. Loads of colors thou, and the Neons are also interesting at 11.00 /yd but a fantastic selection.
Thanks again for the link.

Back