RIP John Bolene

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
I am John's son-in-law. We are really shocked by the news and are still trying to piece things together after the fire. John has been deeply involved in the Oklahoma and Texas rocketry communities for decades at launches and through his rocket engine business. John's family would appreciate any help you on the forum can provide in helping us contact his friends in the rocketry community. I will post more updates once we have more to share.

John Bolene passed away early Saturday in a fire in his home in Edmond, OK. No services are planned.

John was a former Prefect of Tripoli Oklahoma. He was certified Tripoli L3, and had recently been made a TAP. John was very active in motor theory and construction. He used to give classes on motor construction and propellant mixing.

John was a good friend, He was very generous with his time and experience. He is greatly missed.

This is completely unexpected. John was a good friend, I cared a lot about him, his loss really hurts. I always enjoyed talking to him at launches. This is going to leave a huge hole in our hearts and in our local community.

I'll post pictures and more in a while. I just got the news and I'm trying to process it.

This hurts as well. I worked for years with John at Hertz and shared a High Power Rocketry Magazine I got from my brother, at a Meford OK Tripoli launch, which he told me later, is what brought him back into rocketry. He went whole hog when he got back in. He will be missed.

Last edited:
I am John's son-in-law. We are really shocked by the news and are still trying to piece things together after the fire. John has been deeply involved in the Oklahoma and Texas rocketry communities for decades at launches and through his rocket engine business. John's family would appreciate any help you on the forum can provide in helping us contact his friends in the rocketry community. I will post more updates once we have more to share.
Truly sorry for your loss. I hope you and family are able to find peace during this difficult time.

I, too am sorry for your loss. The analytical side of me is curious if his notes or other documentation on what did not work exist; might give some small solace to the loss.
"If I have seen so far it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants"

Jbr was an avid Hamster Dance flyer. This competition is held with BALLS for the highest flight with a rocket weighing less than 5 lb. so 54 mm and down. I was considering entering my 18 and 24 mm rockets. Should get about 10k feet with a long 18 mm.

So sorry for your loss. John will be missed online and by the rocketry community.

My sympathy for your loss.

RIP John.

Would be great if somebody can preserve his calculators on the Mostly Missile Site.
I like the decent one.
http://mostlymissiles.com/descent.htm

They are good ones. I am willing to host it if someone knows the math behind them.

It would be a good monument to his contributions to rocketry.

I am John's sister and we all appreciate your remembrance of him, it means alot. Yes his business was Mostly Missiles. We don't know really what happened, must have been a freak accident. He had just gotten home from a trip to walmart and had just made an order on amazon when it happened.
Thank you all, Sally Wooten

@SoonerBoomer
Hi Dan, thank you for doing the memorial. The site is not letting me reply to your message.
John worked for Hertz his entire life until they relocated overseas. Had two girls Cathy and Tricia. He loved rockets, cats, computers, and video games. He was a very private person and didn't let too many into his circle. His business was Mostly Missiles, selling rockets and engines.
this I got from his personal page.
I began rocketry in Ponca City, OK in high school in 1967. I started and was president of the Ponca City High School Rocket Club. I spent many memorable days building and flying rockets with a few fellow rocket nuts. I put an end to rocketry when I went to college at Oklahoma University and received my Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics in 1973 and my Master of Arts in Computer Science in 1975. During the spring of 1995, I found out about rocketry again when talking to a friend at work. I attended my first HPR launch at Sooner Boomer 12 in Medford, OK in June 1995. I joined OKC Tripoli in October and have spent many more memorable days building and flying rockets with more fellow rocket nuts.
He also had a Youtube page, John Bolene tra tap.

Back