• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Retreival and Tracking Electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbarrym

Reaction score
Time for more inventory clearing....this time, tracking electronics/systems and recovery gear. To avoid a repeat of the "clogged PM inbox" syndrome, please ask questions here, or Email me directly with offers at barry (dot) mattingly (at) gmail (dot) com. All items are less shipping, unless otherwise indicated. I will post or Email pictures of any item on request, just give me a little time to take them, reduce resolution, post to host, then here. :wink:

Complete RocketHunter system - one RHR-10 receiver, one RHA-3 Yagi antenna/cable, two RHT-35 transmitters (one new, one used in excellent cond.), plus two new TX batteries (CR2032 coin cells). The RHT-35 transmitters were $99 each, the RHR-10 receiver was $395, and the RHA-3 Yagi antenna was $105.00 ($698 total). The Rocket Hunter system can track a downed rocket up to 5 miles away on the ground or 30 miles while in the air. Battery life on the transmitter is over five days—almost guaranteeing rocket retrieval. These were my "go to" transmitters for smaller rockets up to 20K' or so, and are small enough to fit into 29mm body tubes. See https://www.redglarerockets.com/RocketHuntr.html for a review.
Selling the entire set - only - for $400 OBO plus shipping.

SOLD pending payment Complete Walston Retrieval Systems tracking system with two TX's. Three channel TRX-3S RX in nylon case with strap, folding 3-element Yagi antenna in nylon case, two CA MODA 3750-HF MVS long range transmitters (on 220.416 and 220.456 MHz), two lithium TX batteries, three on/off magnets. One TX is new but missing antenna; one is used/excellent with damaged (bent) antenna - note that the antennas are changeable braided 19" flexible wire and are available from Walston direct at https://www.walstonretrieval.com/main.htm. The 3750-HF receivers are Walston's best, with a 9+ miles ground and 90+ miles Line of Sight (i.e. in flight) range. Each TX weighs 28 grams and is powered with 2 changeable lithium batteries, with a power-on battery life of 30 days! These use a magnet activated on/off switch and are 2 1/2" x 7/8" x 3/4". Antenna cost was $99.00 plus Nylon Carrying Case at $24.00, each CA MODA 3750-HF MVS LONG RANGE TX was $189, and TRX-3S Receiver was $429.00, for a total cost 0f $930.
Selling the entire set - only - for $450 OBO plus shipping. SOLD pending payment

NOW SOLD GPSflight GPS tracking system - completely ready to install and fly, only used twice. Includes GPSflight processor, mounted with 4 cell battery, GPS receiver, and 900mhZ telemetry transmitter, on a ready to install tray. See previous thread here, where I've included a number of pictures showing how it mounts in the nosecone of one of my 6" airframes. The GPS array antenna mount is offset 60 degrees from vertical, as determined by experimentation. I have the GPS Team tracking software, version 1.3, for Windows 2000 and XP, along with electronic files in PDF for all manuals and documentation. Also includes the MaxStream X-Stream 900mhZ USB modem, whip antenna, cables, and driver software (for Windows XP). You'll need to provide a 12VDC power source to enable use on a laptop without AC power. It has never been crashed, dropped, etc. and the TX mounting tray has always been flown cradled in foam and never abused. See here for details. GPSflight has a users forum and support website you can review there as well.
I can't remember what I paid for all the parts used in this setup but I believe that all up it was well over $600.
Now offered for $250 shipped - reduced $25 again over last listing.

Pair, Audiovox #GMRS7001CH, GMRS 3 watt handheld radios, with manuals, lightly used (switched over to 900mhZ Yaesu HAM handhelds shortly after I bought these). 22 GMRS/FRS channels plus weather band, with high/low power transmit switch for short range use to extend battery life. Great for coordinating retrievals or for communicating with home base, remote pads, RSO's, etc. - up to ten mile range on the lakebeds, 7 miles in town. Uses 5 AAA batteries, comes with 120VAC wall wart charger for rechargeable 600maH NiMH batteries if you wish to use those. These have built in rotating belt clips as well. These are $38 new, asking $20 for the pair.

Pair, Audiovox GMRSWP1, GMRS headset/boom mic GMRS radios, new in unopened package. These are meant to be used in 'hands free' applications, like RSO's, vehicle to vehicle use while driving or riding motorcycles, bike, or ATV's, etc. These are lower power output than the handhelds, but still have a 2 mile range - and as a bonus, have a built in FM tuner. Includes handheld radio with swivel belt mount clip and headset/boom mic. Uses 4 AAA alkaline batteries, not included.
These were $59 each, new. Offered at $35 for the pair plus shipping. NOW SOLD

Garmin ETrex Vista Navigator handheld GPS receiver, designed for hiking use, perfect match to GPSFlight system, or just to have for safety during any long retrieve. Has built-in barometer, electronic compass, and trip mapping memory, VERY handy for those 20-mile retrieves in the Black Rock mountains when your ATV runs out of gas (don't ask!). Will include original printed user's guide, leather case, and hand strap. Features include:
  • WAAS-Enabled
  • Same Features As Grm0025600 Etrex Legend Plus A Built-In Barometric Altimeter & Electronic Compass
  • Compass Provides Bearing Information While User Is Standing Still
  • Altimeter Determines Precise Altitude & Provides A Graphic Profile Of User¿S Trip
  • Contains 24 Mb Internal Memory For Storing Detailed Map Data
  • Electronic compass w/ Bearing; Elevation; Heading display
  • ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)
  • VMG (Velocity Made Good)
  • Speed
  • ETE (Estimated Time Enroute)
  • Time/date
  • Local atmospheric pressure
Had some battery compartment stains from a leaky battery, since properly cleaned (only cosmetic marks/stains in battery compartment, no acid or rust), works great. Asking $125 shipped.

Last edited:
No idea on the RocketHunters, they are in the 217-219 MHz range.

The Walson's are 220.416 and 220.456 MHz. The TR-3S receiver is set up for 220.415, 220.416, 220.456, 220.377 MHz.

(Note - Updated the TX frequencies on 7/1 after looking at the TX's and not just at my old paperwork....).

Last edited:
Anything good for the beginner? Especially I am trying to find a tracker for a 38mm MD project?

Anything good for the beginner? Especially I am trying to find a tracker for a 38mm MD project?

The RocketHunter would be perfect for a 38mm project - it is small and light (about 1/3 the weight of the Walston TX) and the antenna is 1/3 the length as well. Plenty of range, unless you plan to go over 35K or so. There is still plenty of range left at that altitude - - the guy who made these tested them at much longer ranges - but the potential to horizontally drift more than 5 mi. to landing (the ground range) is the limiting factor.

This unit is the one I used for most projects under 98MM, plus it had the advantage of being much cheaper to replace "just in case", and the batteries are 1/10 the cost of the ones used by the Walston.

Barry

Do you have any pics of the RocketHunter System?

Here you go...

rh1.jpg

rh3.jpg

rh4.jpg

rh5.jpg

Replied to all Email's and PM's, thanks.

The GPSFlight and Walston systems are sold; Rocket Hunter, Garmin Vista handheld GPS, and both pairs of GMRS radios still available.

Have a happy (and safe) 4th!

Barry

Replied to all Email's and PM's, thanks.

The GPSFlight and Walston systems are sold; Rocket Hunter, Garmin Vista handheld GPS, and both pairs of GMRS radios still available.

Have a happy (and safe) 4th!

Barry

Barry, I sent you a pm regarding our deal bud.

Justin

Just wanted to chime in online here. The GPSflight tracking system showed up in mint condition. Once I figured out how to get the software working on my WIN 7 machine I was pleasantly surprised with the range (Tx in pick-up truck bed VS. Rx in walk-out basement)...every penny of 1500'. Should work real well out in the "field" with an elevated Rx.

Thnx dbarrym

Back