Rest In Peace-Jerry Irvine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always enjoyed calls and emails from him. In general, we was helpful and delievr the products relatively quickly. The last year I think his health got in the way. I for one will miss his posts on facebook. Overtly poltical, but humerous non-the-less.

I have always enjoyed calls and emails from him. In general, we was helpful and delievr the products relatively quickly. The last year I think his health got in the way. I for one will miss his posts on facebook. Overtly poltical, but humerous non-the-less.
but you won't get your $600 he owed you. :mad:

Very sad news! I'm a big fan of US Rockets since they offered so many unique designs. I also liked they helped me learn some old school building techniques such as making a transition by cutting out slices from the end of a body tube. It's probably a long shot but it would be cool if some of the more popular USR rocket kits were made available again.

I ordered some kits via his "instaship" program - they arrived.... 2 days short of 2 years! Was pretty excited to receive them :) He took the order, at the time, without payment and only expected payment upon delivery.

I ordered some kits via his "instaship" program - they arrived.... 2 days short of 2 years! Was pretty excited to receive them :) He took the order, at the time, without payment and only expected payment upon delivery.
Consider yourself lucky.

Launched a few today in tribute to Jerry Irvine.
I didn't know him personally, my interactions with him consisted of two email exchanges.
But his US Rockets models are sturdy and fly great.
Supersonic, B6-6.
1026230819[1].jpg

Hammerhead, C11-5
1026230832[1].jpg

Dual 18mm Rear Eject, 2XB6-4.
1026230842[1].jpg

Micro Gigantor, C11-5
1026230900[1].jpg

Miniroc 1.2, D12-7.
1026230930[1].jpg

Titan, C11-5.
1026230955[1].jpg

May you rest in peace sir.

Launched a few today in tribute to Jerry Irvine.
I didn't know him personally, my interactions with him consisted of two email exchanges.
But his US Rockets models are sturdy and fly great.
Supersonic, B6-6.
View attachment 612089

Hammerhead, C11-5
View attachment 612090

Dual 18mm Rear Eject, 2XB6-4.
View attachment 612091

Micro Gigantor, C11-5
View attachment 612092

Miniroc 1.2, D12-7.
View attachment 612093

Titan, C11-5.
View attachment 612094

May you rest in peace sir.
I had a Supersonic and a Hammerhead. I overpowered both of them and they flew into clouds, never to be seen again. With the Supersonic, the whole flightline followed the E9-8 flight and everyone was waiting for the huge orange streamer to deploy, but we never saw a thing. The Hammerhead was a cornfield flight, and I didn't realize that the cloud deck was so low. It was an E9-6 flight and looked great until it hit the clouds. Never saw a thing from that point. I still have a Sniper that I want to try on an E12 this cornfield season, but I'll make sure it's a clear day.

I only have one US Rockets model, a Trident

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_114852602.jpg
    IMG_20210515_114852602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Bummer, agreed. I never had an issue with Jerry, never had the opportunity. I always considered him one of the more memorable characters in the HPR world. I enjoyed hanging with him at earlier LDRS meets and thought he was a riot. Around LDRS 2 or 3 I remember seeing him launch the first or second (forget) K I ever witnessed, the other being the Vulcan K with 3 fins and a nose cone at LDRS 3 IIRC. I got a laugh in the late '80's when he showed up at Black Rock with some of his "banana motors" which were SU solids made in yellow FRP conduit with a rough, as-wound exterior surface.. he said it was cheap but it worked. He gave me one to fly and.. it worked fine. I was thinking about him last weekend when I came across an old USR catalog from the mid '80's era. Under motors the M is described as "a big motor" and the N as "a bigger motor" LOL.

Clear skies and soft landings Jerry.

Just saw this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/terry.white.9404362?__cft__[0]=AZWux5R54uDHaJgUs8C6b8Hs-IQt48-LWEVLqEHGLQZi5u8hHAhp6lGpWQhuokD1FGK_PEoQDuXWnuYHiCZxkcYOUIF5aS853rHlr6BiwGdeuLgn-8SbXUA11Qbniwdo9kSNDsi3Ah5IR83b7urICKtEGCRQnXZ5YDNe8AQA5TjZw2ro5MIQb-rUoxy2rd5Nfio&__tn__=<,P-y-R

Terry White

Gerald Andrew Irvine (1958-2023)
It is my sad duty to inform the many who know him that Gerald Andrew Irvine passed away today in Nashville, TN. Jerry, as he was known to his many friends and associates, was a long-time fixture in the field of rocketry. He is pictured at right in the accompanying photo taken at Lucerne Dry Lake, California in July 2022. Jerry was a successful innovator, inventor, entrepreneur, and businessman of some repute. Jerry and I first met circa 1970 as members of the Claremont Rocket Society and the NAR Polaris Section headquartered in Claremont, California. Throughout his life, Jerry was ever a fount of new ideas, always driven to succeed, and sometimes controversial. Less publicly-known is the fact that Jerry was quite generous and had a very kind heart. Indeed, he quitely provided financial assistance to a number of less fortunate individuals. Jerry suffered from declining health in recent years, but continued to soldier on nonetheless. I will truly miss him and his loyal friendship. Till we meet again My Friend!
I have fond memories of Jerry helping my HS students at our annual launch. He is missed.

I have fond memories of Jerry helping my HS students at our annual launch. He is missed. If you never witnessed one of his "Firestarter" motors or used one of his 24mm G motors, you missed out.

At fests, Jerry would walk the launch line, back and forth, with a large motor in his hand. He said he was looking for the guy that ordered it. After awhile someone would buy it. I thought that was some brilliant marketing.

He showed me the second M motor for use in the movie "Running Man" (the sled). It was in case there was a need for a retake. He was thrilled he got to shoot it himself and not a the SE guys.

He sold me a motor with no oxidizer, I think. It burned on the pad at Black Rock II for 8-9 minutes.

Here is Jerry's Warp-7 flown at WSR Launch a couple years back. 7 x C6 successful ignition
Jerry's Swarm 12 x C6-7 not flown yet due to insufficient amperage on the RC launcher.
It will fly though with a car battery and extension cord to fire it...

I also have one of his Monster 24mm Cluster kits not built yet.

Seemed like a decent guy when I purchased the kits - he added info flyers to each one and had a nice chat via email.
He was pleased with the Warp-7 finish.

If there's an after he'll be flying 12 x 54mm clusters without permission! :)

Attachments

• W7-7.jpg
    W7-7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • VID_20210731_162650_exported_4599.jpg
    VID_20210731_162650_exported_4599.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Swarm C6-7 Painted.jpg
    Swarm C6-7 Painted.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Swarm Flight Prep.jpg
    Swarm Flight Prep.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
And here are instructions for the US Rockets "Slipper," a 7 x 24mm Cluster model. Entertaining and non-PC at best.
I'll have to build this now - it's kind of required. 7 x E12-8 should be entertaining.
I can't imagine a 7-motor cluster with multiple CHaD stages.

Attachments

• PXL_20231226_163325532.jpg
    PXL_20231226_163325532.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231226_163301526.jpg
    PXL_20231226_163301526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Back