Research Motor in Open Rocket Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
I modeled some motors in Open Motor, exported the RASP file and added it to the thrust curve folder in Open Rocket. I noticed that Open Rocket will not list the motor unless the manufacturer name is one that is already defined. In my case, the OR finds the motor file if the manufacturer is Loki since I modeled the motor to be used with their 54/980 case. Is this a problem with my RASP file or a limitation with OR? Is there a way for OR to offer "Research" as a manufacturer? Also, it isn't too important, but is there a way I can define the case used in my RASP file? OR lists the diameter correctly and the sim draws the proper motor length, the case size in the motor dropdown is just blank.

I call mine EX as the manufacturer and export them from BurnSim.

These is the first lines
; EX J-421
; Exported from BurnSim 3.3.3.0 (www.burnsim.com)
J421 75 305 0 0.508 0.849 EX

BurnSim file starts it out the third line as J-421, but to make it work in OR, you have to remove the dash. EX does come up as a manufacture in OR for me, but it's been so long, I don't remember if I had to add the EX as a manufacturer or not.

I recently managed to load custom RASP (.eng) and RockSim (.rse) motor files into OpenRocket.

Custom manufacturer names do work and show up in the list, but for RASP files, the name can't have any spaces in it, otherwise OR won't load it. The custom name also can't be any of a number of abbreviated/alternate manufacturer names that OR is programmed to look for, as seen in this file:

https://github.com/openrocket/openr...src/net/sf/openrocket/motor/Manufacturer.java

Unfortunately, neither file format seems to have a provision for defining motor case or propellant attributes with custom motors.

Last edited:
Listing a manufacturer name without spaces did the trick to help keep my sims organized. I figured it was something simple. It would be nice to include desired case size, but at least I can put a comment for each motor in the .eng file.

I recently managed to load custom RASP (.eng) and RockSim (.rse) motor files into OpenRocket.

Custom manufacturer names do work and show up in the list, but for RASP files, the name can't have any spaces in it, otherwise OR won't load it. The custom name also can't be any of a number of abbreviated/alternate manufacturer names that OR is programmed to look for, as seen in this file:

https://github.com/openrocket/openr...src/net/sf/openrocket/motor/Manufacturer.java

Unfortunately, neither file format seems to have a provision for defining motor case or propellant attributes with custom motors.
It'll let you define the attributes that are relevant to a flight simulation -- thrustcurve, weight, length, diameter, etc. It won't let you specify things like cardboard vs. aluminum or black powder vs. APCP since that isn't directly relevant to the flight.

Back