Required exposed motor tube for Aeropack retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is 1/2" the minimum length of exposed motor tube for all Aeropack retainers? I am planning for a 54mm retainer, and I assume I need 1/2" like the 38mm requires. A quick glance on the Aeropack website did not reveal any info.

Thanks!

I think the answer is, "it depends".

I'll see if I can look something up.

Greg

This is the documentation I have, but it is for the Quick-Change Tailcone:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Greg

I would recommend the flanged version...if they have it in 54. That one requires no motor tube hanging out and is screwed into the centering ring

Braden

I would recommend the flanged version...if they have it in 54. That one requires no motor tube hanging out and is screwed into the centering ring

Braden

They do, and I would also recommend the flange version. 54mm cases start getting rather heavy.

Flanged version will work as well, if not better, so long as the tube is flush. If the tube does hang out the back you'll either need to cut it or use the glue on version.

Honestly, it doesn't matter unless you really want the ability to unbolt it to move it between rockets. The glue on version will hold more than well enough.

Honestly, it doesn't matter unless you really want the ability to unbolt it to move it between rockets. The glue on version will hold more than well enough.

It really depends on what motor tube material you are using. I have snatched 38mm ones off of paper tubes before(pulled the paper away). I believe they are only $5 difference anyway.

Usually I butt them up against the rear CR (and glue them to the CR as well as the tube), but I can see that maybe being a problem with paper (I can't say I have any real experience with paper motor mount tubes). With phenolic or glass, it isn't an issue though.

Back