Removing Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
I recently recovered my 2.5" dia. Mosquito that had hung in a tree for 5 months. The airframe and MMT was trashed but the plywood fins were still in good shape. I want to rebuild it using those fins.

However, the fins still have large epoxy fillets on them. I was planning use a belt sander to remove the excess epoxy, but it seems likely that I'll ding up the fins.

I'd love to have some tips from those of you who've done this. Any better alternatives than a belt sander?

-- Jim

That's really the best way I can think of. Heating it above the Tg might work, but would be a pain and leave a residue that would be sanded off anyways.

Lacking a belt sander, I ground mine down with a Dremel and a low-grit sanding drum. Rather tedious, and VERY dusty. I was using a mask, but probably should have either had a fan blowing the dust away from my work space, or better, used a respirator. Just because epoxy is cured doesn't make it less hazardous, and can very easily get into your lungs/nasal passages.

WW

Heating with a little pencil torch works VERY well. I had to remove the external fillets on a rocket and did it that way. Left very little residue It took me aobut and hour to remove all six external fillets (being very careful not to damage any of the components).

Carl

I am sure this is late, but I have used my dremel with a cut-off wheel with very quick and good results. Yes, it is dusty so mask and eye protection and your good to go.

Back