Reloadable motor Life

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never needed to use anything but soap and water to clean reload cases, and that was after they had been used with Blackjack reloads.

One of the products that I've heard is bad to use is Simple Green. Even their website cautions against exposure of times longer than 10 minutes with their normal retail product.

I immediately clean my motors after flight in a soap and water mixure. Since I have 3 motor casing available I can launch one, have one soaking an another waiting to be loaded. I worry about the closure threads more than the casing tube and scrub them with a old toothbrush. I use a toothpick and scrap out the BP residue, then wipe clean. I have had no problems in keep my rms motors clean.

One of the products that I've heard is bad to use is Simple Green. Even their website cautions against exposure of times longer than 10 minutes with their normal retail product.
The normal SimpleGreen has a pH of ~9.5 which won't harm anything.

The Pro HD cleaner has a pH of ~11 which is moderately basic which might remove some anodizing if soaked overnight, but not in 10 minutes.

https://www.simplegreen.com/

Bob

From the Simple Green website

The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes.

I'll take the mfg's word for it.

my current 29/40-120 hardware that is being used is as old as I am...

which is only 16, but that's a pretty long life span for the hardware I think, I almost hesitate to fly it :wink:

Braden

Tight Wad you are a man after my own heart! I have two sons. One who is truely my son and his room mate. For a while I could not understand why they didn't clean their cases, but then I saw their dorm room and understood completely. Why clean you case when you don't even do your laundry!

Andrew

From the Simple Green website

I'll take the mfg's word for it.
Pat

The Simple Green FAQ states that "When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

Any alkaline water-based cleaner can corrode bare aluminum, but commercial hobby rocket motor casings are anodized to protect the aluminum so the surfaces are aluminum oxide, not aluminum so they are safe to soak in Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner and most other mild alqueous based alkaline cleaners.

Bob

Too many big words, Too many big words!

I like simple green, but other cheaper soaps will work as well.

Andrew

I'll keep using my baby wipes. I get Parent's Choice unscented wipes from Walmart. I've found that If I disassemble and wipe out the case while it's still warm, the baby wipe makes it clean as a whistle. When I started using reloads, and before I heard about baby wipes, I used CLP Break Free and/or Hoppes #9 and paper towels. Both worked well, but the Break Free leaves a residue that I don't know is good or bad. I like baby wipes for their simplicity and ease of use. I'm convinced that the key is to clean the case while it's still warm from the flight. I've never let one sit after a flight, so I can't comment on cleaning cases in that condition.

I'm with you. I spray 'um while they are warm, wipe 'um, and reload 'um.

Andrew

I have a case with 250+ firings on it, many of them done 6 one right after another in a 30 minute time span. It is just as shiny as when I turned it on a lathe.

Edward

I'll keep using my baby wipes. I get Parent's Choice unscented wipes from Walmart. I've found that If I disassemble and wipe out the case while it's still warm, the baby wipe makes it clean as a whistle. When I started using reloads, and before I heard about baby wipes, I used CLP Break Free and/or Hoppes #9 and paper towels. Both worked well, but the Break Free leaves a residue that I don't know is good or bad. I like baby wipes for their simplicity and ease of use. I'm convinced that the key is to clean the case while it's still warm from the flight. I've never let one sit after a flight, so I can't comment on cleaning cases in that condition.
Really good advice here.

I use Break Free gun cleaner with a cotton rag and a baby bottle brush. It's what we used to clean our weapons in the Army and trust me, An M-16 gets crudy. Plus it leaves a micro coating which makes it easier to clean the next time and protects the aluminum. For truely tough carbon I use a soak in straight white vinegar. 10 to 15 min soak and the crud falls off. Then a whipe down with Break Free.

In the field nothing is more convenient than wet wipes. At home warm water and Dawn works great.

I think the bottom line to the original question is this. That your casings will last as long as how much care in cleaning you do.

Andrew

Back