Reliability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here's a good one for ya' - Tonight at the MWP night launch, we had a failure of both. Rwjr ( somethin like that) flew a CTI in his mzzzzztic thing, I flew an AT in my Drago - both faild and destroyed our rockets. None are infalable.

Wow - that's really unlucky for both of you. It's rare to see simultaneous, independent failures of two different motor types.

Well here's a good one for ya' - Tonight at the MWP night launch, we had a failure of both. Rwjr ( somethin like that) flew a CTI in his mzzzzztic thing, I flew an AT in my Drago - both faild and destroyed our rockets. None are infalable.

Holy moly! What are the odds of that?

I decided I'm not going with reloads yet. The consensus here is that they are somewhat more reliable, but I should expect better. I'll be being extra careful to do everything exactly right and if I still have above-average failures I'll probably change brands or at least start making my own motor type Avoid list.

The main reason is that I have to travel somewhat far to go launches, and even take off work if they're on Saturday, so my time there is expensive. I've only participated in 2 organized launches so far and I find prepping my rockets enough "fiddly" stuff to do in field conditions, and stay busy launching, retrieving, watching, socializing, and occasionally chilling out. Maybe after I get more comfortable and organized it won't seem like a problem.

Costwise, I calculate up to 30-40% savings for AT reloads vs. SU midpower, but if something happens to a motor case those savings can be erased. In 2 launches, I've seen 2 rockets eaten and I think someone lost a motor case. So the question is not actually that obvious to answer, on cost alone. Plus I will be needing a mix of 24 mm and 29 mm motors. Etc... :cool:

I totally understand your reasoning. But a big reason for me, at least, to use reloads is the wider selection of loads and propellant types. I'm fortunate, I've never had a failure of a reloadable or single use. But I have seen them happen.

^^-- Oh, rocketry :shock:

The damage for my issues weren't near as bad. 1st one, rear ejection and exoskeletal construction kept it to a little split airframe. 2nd, rear ejection. Both killed a motor mount, after paying as much shipping as for the 1st replacement mount I talked Aerotech into sending me a 24 mm adapter for my 29 mm mount. But both would have destroyed the usual rocket.

Chad what is the little blue thing on the Tube Fin ....... A camera ??
That is an LED "Finger Light"? I believe that's what Russ said they were called. Have you seen the night launch videos? Both of these failures are in my compilation on youtube.

Back