Rejected Reality 7.5" Rocket Build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
While thinking about what I could do for projects for LDRS34 next June, I came up with the idea to do a relatively large rocket. My first ideas were for a 9" airframe. I realized that for a solo project that would be irrational :) . I settled for a rocket utilizing LOC 7.5" airframe. The result was Big Boo-Tay. This rocket when built will be ~7.5 feet tall and weigh ~19 lbs empty. The airframe and couplers have arrived and I have gotten the plywood for fins and rings. I am still waiting on the nosecone. This will be a relatively simple and straight forward build but it should be fun and educational! I may get some decals in the end for this but I probably won't... I'm not a huge user of decals... Anywho... here are the parts I have, the rocksim, and a screenshot! :) Thanks to the generosity of my mentor Jim Scarpine, this will be flying on a K1000!
bootay.jpgView attachment 250250View attachment 250251

Attachments

• Big Bootay.ork
    63.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot (76).jpg
    Screenshot (76).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Interesting--looks like fun! What will she be chambered--is that a 54mm? Or were you planning on a nosecone av-bay?

Later!

--Coop

The motor depends on final weight but it will probably be the K1000 Skidmark! Should be a show!

I can't open OR here at work, apologies, are you slotting the body tube for the fins by hand?

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom, drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I can't open OR here at work, apologies, are you slotting the body tube for the fins by hand?
Yes, I will be... Either that or I will use a table saw but making a jig for that may be more work than it is worth... A dremel tool will probably work though!

Small Update: I got 1/2" plywood from Home Depot last night for fins! I will draw the designs tonight and try to cut them next week in my schools workshop :)

Attachments

• SAM_3091.jpg
    SAM_3091.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 26
  • SAM_3089.jpg
    SAM_3089.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 26
Wait a sec.... isn't that the plywood for Our Future Children?

Wait a sec.... isn't that the plywood for Our Future Children?

LOL! This makes it sound like you and Cody are planning to have children! Plywood children...

Isn't it something like "Our Children's future"? Not "Our future Children"?

LOL! This makes it sound like you and Cody are planning to have children! Plywood children...

Yeah... you got it right Thirsty... The way matt makes it sound is really awkward...

It's Matt what do you expect :confused2: :rofl: :rofl:
Good Point...

Tiny Update: I just had a fin drawing marathon... I drew out OCF and Big Boo-Tay's fins onto the plywood. Sometime in the next few days I will Cut out rectangles that will make it easier to carry into school...

Forgive me... I got the exact same stuff as I got for OCF... Why take pictures of the same wood twice?
good point.

Yup. Our Children's Future.

Yeah... you got it right Thirsty... The way matt makes it sound is really awkward...
VERY awkward.
It's Matt what do you expect :confused2: :rofl: :rofl:
I HEARD THAT!!!!!!
No clue what that means.

Nate
LOL. :)

Small Update: I got 1/2" plywood from Home Depot last night for fins! I will draw the designs tonight and try to cut them next week in my schools workshop :)

We need to "amp up" this thread... No more boring wood pics. Once we move into cutting and painting we need more...

Girl-mechanic.jpg

Ordered a lot of the parts I needed for this build. Yesterday, I put in an order for 50 ft of 1" Tubular Nylon for recovery. Today I ordered Rail Buttons, US Composites epoxy, fillers, etc;. All I have to do now is receive the nose cone and cut out the Centering rings and bulk plates. Once all this is done I will begin building!

Back