Rediscovering Model Rocketry with my Daughter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

Reaction score
Good Day All,

I was a big Rocketeer in my youth. Now as a father, I have introduced my daughter into Model Rocketry. We enjoy this activity together. We have used mostly RTF or ARTF Rockets. I decided to delve into more difficult builds with her and found that we enjoyed that as well. The first Rocket we built was a small Saturn V which was fun to build but I am guessing we used the wrong type of spray paint, (Testors Flat White) and the decals failed to adhere to the Rocket. I ordered and have started the Estes Saturn V but want to make sure I use the correct paints for this one. Any advice on which paints to use to avoid my previous mistakes? Also advice on painting parts before they are added to the Rocket, or build and then paint? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gabe

Hi Gabe, I'm not much of an expert on painting--have flown my share of rockets naked ;)--but gloss paint holds decals better than flat. One suggestion would be to do gloss white, then decals, then matte or flat clearcoat on top. I used a rattlecan of gloss clearcoat I got from AutoZone on Starover and it landed pretty hard in the mud yesterday, twice, and cracked a fin, but the paint is pretty much pristine.

As far as painting first then assembling, if the parts are intricate or would be difficult to paint evenly when assembled, paint first (mask off the surfaces to be glued) then assemble.

Have fun!

Best -- Terry

Thank You Terry, I will try the Gloss/Decal/Clearcoat method. Sorry to hear about the fin but fortunately the paint made it through unscathed. Daughter and I are truly enjoying spending time together in this wonderful hobby. Thanks again.

Gabe

I was a big Rocketeer in my youth. Now as a father, I have introduced my daughter into Model Rocketry. We enjoy this activity together.

Hi Gabe,
I've gotten back into rocketry a few years ago with my kids as well.
Enjoy it, but don't forget to buy a few kits for yourself to build. Kids' interests will come and go, but as long as you have something to tinker with yourself, they will want to follow your lead.

The first Rocket we built was a small Saturn V which was fun to build but I am guessing we used the wrong type of spray paint, (Testors Flat White) and the decals failed to adhere to the Rocket. I ordered and have started the Estes Saturn V but want to make sure I use the correct paints for this one. Any advice on which paints to use to avoid my previous mistakes? Also advice on painting parts before they are added to the Rocket, or build and then paint? Any advice is appreciated.

There are really no "bad" spray paints, they are all "borderline".
If you are going multiple levels (primer, main coat, clear-coat), sticking with one brand helps to minimize paint incompatibility issues.
I don't know where you are, but painting in the prescribed temperature and humidity range helps a LOT. This time of the year, in the frozen north, that can be a challenge.

Also - less paint is more.
It saves time in the long run to be patient and apply 3-4 light coats (and wait for them to dry), then deal with over-spray from enthusiastically thick single coat application. Don't ask me how many tries and years it took me to learn this lesson!

Generally, water-based decals need smooth surfaces to adhere well. Glossy paints tent to level out smoother, but you can always sand any paint (flat or glossy) with 400-800 grit sandpaper to help with adhesion.
It helps to also spray clear-coat on top of the decals to both protect, and further seal them in.

1:100 Saturn V is a slow and pretty challenging build.
Given mostly paper structural components, gluing them with Titebond 2 wood glue works best when you are gluing porous surfaces. Thus, you want to glue before painting.
For something THAT complicated with THAT many parts, I would not dare paint parts individually. Especially given the complicated black-on-white final paint job that will be waiting for you at the tail end of the build.

Build a stage, glue the wraps, spray primer paint, then sand it to clean-up imperfections. Repeat 3-4 times as necessary. Frequently, you only see problem areas after you apply the first coat of paint, no matter how much prep and spiral-sealing you did in advance.
Once everything looks good (or when you get tired of fixing minor issues), then spray the final coat.
Then mask, and apply the contrast color (some say base coat white and spray black in the end, others recommend base-coat black and spray white in the end - your choice. Black is easier to touch-up with a marker).
Then apply decals.
Then the clear-coat. Very sparingly. In many layers.
It REALLY sucks to clean-up clear-coat streaks and over-spray runs when you thought you were done with the project.

HTH,
a

Hi Gabe, Welcome to the forum!!

I think it's awesome that you want to fly rockets with your daughter! My parents have been flying rockets with me for almost 15 years now (I'll be 16 this spring) :D:D:D

I have absolutely no advice for you when It comes to painting rockets... However I can suggest something your daughter might enjoy. - Estes is having a sale right now on a "Big" launch set, that comes with the launch pad and the rocket. This is an easy to build rocket... and did I mention its :eek: - BIG - :oops:

- Also - NO PAINTING REQUIRED !!! :):po_O - AND - it's Hot Pink and Black, how COOL is that! :cool::cool::cool:

LINK >>> ESTES Prowler Launch Set

Oh yeah - one more thing... PICTURES - we love pictures on the forum. Here's one of me PAINTING my Jr L1 Rocket.

IMG_20171031_160111-ANIMATION.gif

I'll second the gloss first tip. Also, make sure you don't touch the model with bare hands after the gloss cost. Skin oil really messes up with water slide decal adhesion.

Kudos to you for getting your daughter into rocketry. It will ignite her creativity and curiosity; setting her up for a bright future. If you haven't already, try to join a local club. You'll get to see alot of creative models getting launched. And try to make a high power launch. It will blow her away.

Hi Gabe,
I've gotten back into rocketry a few years ago with my kids as well.
Enjoy it, but don't forget to buy a few kits for yourself to build. Kids' interests will come and go, but as long as you have something to tinker with yourself, they will want to follow your lead.

There are really no "bad" spray paints, they are all "borderline".
If you are going multiple levels (primer, main coat, clear-coat), sticking with one brand helps to minimize paint incompatibility issues.
I don't know where you are, but painting in the prescribed temperature and humidity range helps a LOT. This time of the year, in the frozen north, that can be a challenge.

Also - less paint is more.
It saves time in the long run to be patient and apply 3-4 light coats (and wait for them to dry), then deal with over-spray from enthusiastically thick single coat application. Don't ask me how many tries and years it took me to learn this lesson!

Generally, water-based decals need smooth surfaces to adhere well. Glossy paints tent to level out smoother, but you can always sand any paint (flat or glossy) with 400-800 grit sandpaper to help with adhesion.
It helps to also spray clear-coat on top of the decals to both protect, and further seal them in.

1:100 Saturn V is a slow and pretty challenging build.
Given mostly paper structural components, gluing them with Titebond 2 wood glue works best when you are gluing porous surfaces. Thus, you want to glue before painting.
For something THAT complicated with THAT many parts, I would not dare paint parts individually. Especially given the complicated black-on-white final paint job that will be waiting for you at the tail end of the build.

Build a stage, glue the wraps, spray primer paint, then sand it to clean-up imperfections. Repeat 3-4 times as necessary. Frequently, you only see problem areas after you apply the first coat of paint, no matter how much prep and spiral-sealing you did in advance.
Once everything looks good (or when you get tired of fixing minor issues), then spray the final coat.
Then mask, and apply the contrast color (some say base coat white and spray black in the end, others recommend base-coat black and spray white in the end - your choice. Black is easier to touch-up with a marker).
Then apply decals.
Then the clear-coat. Very sparingly. In many layers.
It REALLY sucks to clean-up clear-coat streaks and over-spray runs when you thought you were done with the project.

HTH,
a

Good Evening afadeev,

Thank you for the plethora of tips and information. I will certainly keep that info in mind as the SATURN V starts taking shape. I have a long way to go but will push forward one step at a time. Hopefully, when I am finished it won't be too pretty to fly! HaHa. Thanks again.

Gabe

Hi Gabe, Welcome to the forum!!

I think it's awesome that you want to fly rockets with your daughter! My parents have been flying rockets with me for almost 15 years now (I'll be 16 this spring) :D:D:D

I have absolutely no advice for you when It comes to painting rockets... However I can suggest something your daughter might enjoy. - Estes is having a sale right now on a "Big" launch set, that comes with the launch pad and the rocket. This is an easy to build rocket... and did I mention its :eek: - BIG - :oops:

- Also - NO PAINTING REQUIRED !!! :):po_O - AND - it's Hot Pink and Black, how COOL is that! :cool::cool::cool:

LINK >>> ESTES Prowler Launch Set

Oh yeah - one more thing... PICTURES - we love pictures on the forum. Here's one of me PAINTING my Jr L1 Rocket.

View attachment 372920

Hey there Sabrina,

I am so glad to hear that I am going in the right direction with my 9 year old. She truly loves this hobby. We enjoy the time we spend together. It's great that you and your parents participate together. We are all making memories that will last a lifetime. I'll have you know that the Estes Prowler Set that you suggested has been ordered. Thank you for the heads up on it. My daughter will love it, especially that it is Pink! I will attempt to upload a pic of the current status of my SATURN V. Like I said in a previous reply, she has a long way to go. Thanks for the pic and the info on the Pink Rocket!

Gabe

IMG_2220.JPG

Hey there Sabrina,

I am so glad to hear that I am going in the right direction with my 9 year old. She truly loves this hobby. We enjoy the time we spend together. It's great that you and your parents participate together. We are all making memories that will last a lifetime. I'll have you know that the Estes Prowler Set that you suggested has been ordered. Thank you for the heads up on it. My daughter will love it, especially that it is Pink!

Gabe,
Please do yourself a favor, and show the kit to your daughter before too much longer.
You NEVER know what tickles kids' fancy on any given day.

I thought the "pretty pink" rocket (exactly as the one Sabrina likes and recommends) will be a hit with my daughter, but it has been sitting on the shelf for the past 6+ months. I do like it, so I will end up building it myself one of these days.
Instead, she loves an alien-green rocket (Estes #7232). Go figure.

You just never know.
I've learned to ask before I assume.

a

I'll second the gloss first tip. Also, make sure you don't touch the model with bare hands after the gloss cost. Skin oil really messes up with water slide decal adhesion.

Kudos to you for getting your daughter into rocketry. It will ignite her creativity and curiosity; setting her up for a bright future. If you haven't already, try to join a local club. You'll get to see alot of creative models getting launched. And try to make a high power launch. It will blow her away.

Thanks for the tips Mark. I will keep that in mind when it comes time to apply the decals. I hope that by my introduction to Model Rocketry, a love of Science will be the end result for my daughter. I will keep a look out for a local Rocketry Club. Thanks again.

Gabe

Gabe, welcome to the fracas, I mean forum! Whether or not you ever get your decals to stick, you and your daughter have struck a goldmine. Daddy-daughter one-on-one time is priceless. Good for you!

That looks great. Rocketry is a great activity to do with your kids. I've been flying rockets with my kids for about four years now. Here's a pic of my youngest (10) daughter's scratch build that contained a cluster of 5 motors and a picture of its second flight. She thought the "flight" was awesome, and she's ready to build another.

BD6D1464-A77B-4147-A00F-E8226BC08726.jpeg BFEB0627-A4AC-4B2E-A57A-B9B8432F9931.png

That looks great. Rocketry is a great activity to do with your kids. I've been flying rockets with my kids for about four years now. Here's a pic of my youngest (10) daughter's scratch build that contained a cluster of 5 motors and a picture of its second flight. She thought the "flight" was awesome, and she's ready to build another.

View attachment 373273 View attachment 373274
Oh, no! Were those E9s?

It was an E12 in the center, with 4 C6’s in the pods. Guess which one was the problem.

B95560B6-0B14-434E-B614-6AFAC90B3652.png

Meu grupo, aqui no Brasil, está entrando na era da prepúcio híbrida. Alguém pode nos ajudar a dar o primeiro passo-a-passo, para a sua construção, nos enviando algum material (livro) em pdf? Ensino à parte: Matemática, dimensões, materiais aplicados, injetores, etc.

Meu grupo, aqui no Brasil, está entrando na era da prepúcio híbrida. Alguém pode nos ajudar a dar o primeiro passo-a-passo, para a sua construção, nos enviando algum material (livro) em pdf? Ensino à parte: Matemática, dimensões, materiais aplicados, injetores, etc.
This is not the appropriate place for a discussion on research hybrids.

Welcome! Always good to see a new member, and more importantly, one sharing the hobby with the next generation.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Love the smiling face, but the second picture is full of "Uh-Ohs!" Looks like there was a huge failure somewhere in there. My kiddo and I are seriously enjoying spending time together with this activity.

What a great attitude!

you are truly blessed

Wish you straight (and a bit longer!) trails

Back