Red Glare - What Are You Flying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One launch of a full rack per hour is about the average pace.

It is much faster than that. I have flown a dozen rockets in five hours at an MDRA launch. It just feels slower at a Red Glare because there is actually a line for pads and you might have to wait through several full racks before it's your turn.

There is no banquet this year because of COVID. Last year, the raffles were held at random times throughout the day for a couple of things each, rather than all at once.

It's looking more like I will be scrubbing my Level 3 attempt this weekend and doing it at Red Glare due to the lousy weather forecast. Saturday is probably shot with rain in the morning and 20+ MPH wind in the afternoon, but there's still a chance Sunday will be okay if the wind forecast comes down.

Probably a good idea to cancel your flight for Saturday. The weather forecast is almost 100% compatible with the launch being canceled for Saturday, possibly even Sunday. The BOD usually waits until late Thursday or Friday to make cancellation calls. However, I have the privilege of being married to a former USAF Weather Observer/Forecaster. Her forecasts are still spot on, making my participation decisions in outdoor activities easy. She can still make accurate on the spot cloud level observations as well, (if not better), as the phone data applications.. I have watched a MDRA BOD member check her observations on line, only to see she is calling it on the money.

I have already made my decision and will not be at the Saturday launch but may be at the Sunday launch if not canceled. However, the forcast is cold in the morning, warming into the mid 40's only by afternoon with winds in the teens and/or at times greater than 20 mph and occasional rain showers..

Last edited:
People should bring concerns to the BoD. Just because they've always done it one way doesn't mean it can't change.
I have brought up ideas to the BoD but it seems to always fall on deaf ears. Having been directly involved with three NARAM's I know that misfire alley works much better. (NARAM 18, & 24 in Allentown, PA "THOR" and NARAM 34 in Las Vegas "SPECTRE") Contact Dane Boles or Gary Rosenfield for more clarification... Low power should not be flown at a Red Glare type event unless a small range 500' away is set up for up to "C" motors only.

My flight project: A 1:5.5 Scale Nike Tomahawk... 2 Stage with electronics in both stages and GPS. Most likely 2 stage "G" depending on weather.

I have brought up ideas to the BoD but it seems to always fall on deaf ears. Having been directly involved with three NARAM's I know that misfire alley works much better. (NARAM 18, & 24 in Allentown, PA "THOR" and NARAM 34 in Las Vegas "SPECTRE") Contact Dane Boles or Gary Rosenfield for more clarification... Low power should not be flown at a Red Glare type event unless a small range 500' away is set up for up to "C" motors only.

Come on: Just because you don't get what your ideas suggest, does not mean your ideas fall on deaf ears. By the TRA Number you post in your signature block, you have been around for quite some time and should know better. Talk to others about your ideas and form a consensuses, then present the idea to the BOD as a whole or, maybe to individual BOD members to possibly enhance your ideas and potential successful implementation. I believe you know all I have said--off my soap box.

Last edited:
Normally, MDRA launches have plenty of capacity and you can fly a lot of rockets. Red Glare does get crowded, especially on the 1010 and lower pads, as has been noted. This year, I am only bringing rockets for the 1515 cell and the away cell.

I plan to get my AGM-33 Pike up on either an N2220 or N3300, depending on the weather. I am also bringing a new 8" Goblin with carbon fiber honeycomb fins and a 4 x 75mm mount. Shakeout flight on J450s, which is equivalent to a mid-level L, then crank her up on 4 x K1000s, which is a 98% M. If I have time, I may throw it up on 4 x L1000's, which reaches a smaller N Level.

I imagine I will play around with a LOC bruiser on a bunch of different cluster configs.

@jimzcatz - Jim, if you are still coming, I will probably use one of those L1250s you are bringing up in a Wildman Ultimate - always a fun flight!

Crossing fingers for three days of great weather this year!

PXL_20210926_183043833.jpg

PXL_20220227_142114363.jpg

Been getting the trailer ready to roll out. Between me and my buddy, we should have 4 or 5 M flights from the away cell if the weather permits as well as a bunch of J, K, and L flights depending on time available.

I thought this year at Higgs Farm that I would fly lots of big rockets on big motors, but for various reasons (wind, low clouds, electronics problems, motor problems, . . .) I haven't burned any level 3 motors at all this season. And with the COVID restrictions the previous season, it has now been over two years since I have flown either of my big 75 lb rockets. If the weather cooperates I will be at Red Glare for two days and hopefully fly both my Frenzy XXL and Cowabunga Mammoth on M motors.

Gonna be a great launch,
but Red Glare with MDRA always is..
I just love watchin the the flights..
Some push weight and performance awfully hard at Red Glare..

Cain't wait..

Teddy

First, small: square rockets Higgs Farm Rocket. That will be fun
Second , large: My new rocket, "another bad idea" it's BIG, as in 323 inches long. The catch is that it's 3 inches in diameter.
and probably help the usual suspects fly their bigger projects. That's fun, too.

First, small: square rockets Higgs Farm Rocket. That will be fun
Second , large: My new rocket, "another bad idea" it's BIG, as in 323 inches long. The catch is that it's 3 inches in diameter.
and probably help the usual suspects fly their bigger projects. That's fun, too.

Rick - Was that the one you had laid out at the last METRA launch?

Looked to me like the CG may end up a little close to the CP ;) (heck, it looked like the CG won't get within 10 feet of the pad!)

Looking forward to see that crazy long rocket go up!

I am also planning to fly this fun project - it is a LOC 7.6" kit I am calling the "Putin Bruiser EXP", Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

PXL_20220324_161207982.jpg

I have 1 x 75mm, 3 x 54mm, and 5 x 38mm mounts ready to try out at RG.

PXL_20211212_170517171.jpg

Rick - Was that the one you had laid out at the last METRA launch?

Looked to me like the CG may end up a little close to the CP ;) (heck, it looked like the CG won't get within 10 feet of the pad!)

Looking forward to see that crazy long rocket go up!
Why yes it is. It did get another 2 foot longer, however. I might just be rewriting the book on "overstable"

Maybe the first flight of the Messier 65. Paid my dues and registration fees. Need to book a room and think about how much the 500+mile round trip will cost.
Change of plans, looks like I'll be sitting this one out.

Weather looks to be pretty decent for Saturday, and I'm looking forward to attending. Just LPR/E-F rockets though, nothing bigger. I really hope I can get more than one launch an hour this year though.

I've never been to Higgs Farm, but in light of the weather forecast for tomorrow, Friday April 1, I'm guessing it can be expected that there may be some muddy areas and to bring/wear appropriate footwear?

I've never been to Higgs Farm, but in light of the weather forecast for tomorrow, Friday April 1, I'm guessing it can be expected that there may be some muddy areas and to bring/wear appropriate footwear?
Recovery area is mostly a cornfield. I would bet on it being muddy tomorrow.

Higgs has four basic conditions - windy, frozen, muddy and dusty. Often, it is all four at the same time.

Muddy and rough terrain (cornfield, so there is plenty of corn stubble to stumble/trip on if you aren't careful).

Hitched up, loaded, and ready to roll. Looks like too much wind on Friday so I will be arriving Friday afternoon to drop the trailer and be ready for an early start on Saturday.

t1.JPG

Back