Recycling container Jayhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the honest answer is I don't know. The recycling container was the biggest expense - about a hundred bucks. In the true spirit of recycling, pretty much everything else is scraps and leftovers from other projects (plywood, fiberglass, tube remnants), or reusables (parachutes, altimeters). Once you have capital tied up in reusables, unless you set them on fire, their cost doesn't really add anything to subsequent projects.

Since rocketry is a hobby, I compare it to golf. There is an initial investment in clubs (stuff) and a much smaller recurring outlay in green fees (motors). You play with your friends on weekends. You occasionally have to look for the one you lobbed into the woods. And the reward of a great shot is priceless.

:wink:
very nice comparison :wink:

Braden

Continuing progress on the wings... I cut 4 brackets from a stock piece of aluminum, to hold the winglets onto the ends of the wings. This should strengthen the joint, as well as allow field replacement of the winglet should one break on landing. Next on the agenda, I need to drill holes for the large head bolts, offset slightly to deconflict the nuts. And then install them.

T minus 23 days.

IMG_6545_2.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Was the location for the bolt photo shoot a coincidence? I'm guessing no.

Was the location for the bolt photo shoot a coincidence? I'm guessing no.

Wow, you would do great on the old TV show "Concentration"! I hope I never have to play against you. Yes, I did recycle a photo (of the same bolts) used in the 10" Jayhawk thread. It saved a little time, which I appear to be desperately short of...

It is, of course, a recycling container rocket. In light of that, here is another recycled (yet somehow completely appropriate) blurb...

I am running the project much as the folks at NASA do... behind schedule, over budget, and with the constant reminder that the person with the checkbook might cancel the program at any time.

Last edited:
Yes, I did recycle a photo (of the same bolts) used in the 10" Jayhawk thread.

Sather, I think he meant, the label on the box reads "Sidewalk Bolts" and they are sitting on the sidewalk.....

Not certain if you caught that or not...

G.D.

I don't think it's a sidewalk; I believe it's recycled decking planks. Geez, do I have to ruin everything? Sorry :eek:

Sather, I think he meant, the label on the box reads "Sidewalk Bolts" and they are sitting on the sidewalk.....

G.D.

This was my thought, but again I'm beaten to the punch. But since you mentioned it, I do remember the origional pic, you were quite happy to have found those big-headed bolts.

G.D.

Oooops. No, I didn't catch that. Feeling pretty sheepish now. I thought Chad caught me sneaking an old picture into a new build. And wow, you guys really pay attention to details. It is indeed a deck, so I guess the answer is: "Yes. It is a complete coincidence. If I was going for subtle irony, I would have posted this..."

:eek:

IMG_6608.jpg

Okay, back to work. Today I drilled 17/64th" holes in the brackets to accommodate the 1/4"-20 sidewalk bolts. This cleared the last hurdle to permanently attach the winglets. I started by clamping them to the end of the wing, ensuring they were perpendicular. I then wood-glued the end of the wing, using two "guide" screws installed down the centerline of the winglet to clamp them tight. The brackets were then installed with a little bit of JB Weld and 12 sidewalk bolts per side to pull them snug. Tomorrow, I need to cut off the excess length of bolt and get her ready for paint. (The guide screws are temporary. After the epoxy and wood glue have cured, I'll remove them and fill the holes.)

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

Last edited:
Once again, the right angle drill kit was of great use, as the clearance to drill these holes at the intersection of the wing and winglet left no room for a full size drill. The bottle was then moved outside (to dremel off the bolt ends, and for the duration of the build.) It paused briefly in the driveway for a photo op with my other recycling container.

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

I don't think that I would want to be nearby when that other container deploys...:)
rex

Took advantage of a beautiful day to do some painting. Here she is, masked and ready for primer, primed and sanded, and in final Valspar Satin Black.

IMG_6798.jpg

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

No orange?

Nah. Weak excuses to follow...

(1) the bottle was already black. Paint is expensive.

(2) I've had trouble getting paint to stick to plastic nose cones.

(3) I'm going with a theme here. You won't be disappointed.

(4) Hey. It's in the oddroc section, isn't it?

(5) I ran out of orange rebuilding my other Jayhawk

(6) All of the above.​

Last edited:
You could've picked blue / silver and it would kinda pass as R2D2. :)

Last edited:
You could've picked blue / silver and it would kinda pass as R2D2. :)

Well, it's still not too late for that. I'd have to put a new nose cone on the bottle, maybe the leftover ball from the Death Star. I have an original Estes R2D2 from way back. Been toying with the idea of boring it out to 24mm. It's waaayyyyy underpowered at 18mm. With Estes motors, anyway.

P.S. They DO make an R2D2 trash can. :)

r2d2_trashcan.jpg

Last edited:
(3) I'm going with a theme here. You won't be disappointed.

The wraps are now on, so the veil of secrecy is lifted. Else, I couldn't post anymore pictures. Her official name is "Jaycoke Zero". StickerShock23 printed my graphics, and they came out great! (Thank you, Mark!) I used the wet method to install them... add a few drops of soap in water, wet the surface to be covered, lay the vinyl in place, slide it around to where you want it, and squeegee out the water.

Yet to do... finish av bay, cut and install rings in the midsection, check Cg and add nose weight. T minus 9 days.

IMG_6852_3.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome!

Have you considered the effect that big hole will have on flight characteristics?

My gut tells me that the opening will tend to drag that side of the rocket more than the other, inducing an exaggerated ballistic flight profile.

Maybe you could pack your drogue into that space and cover it with a fiberglass hatch?

Just thinking....

G.D.

That looks awesome!

Have you considered the effect that big hole will have on flight characteristics?

My gut tells me that the opening will tend to drag that side of the rocket more than the other, inducing an exaggerated ballistic flight profile.

Yes, I have, but thanks for the input. I always worry about the things I didn't think of in advance, and always appreciate another set of eyes. There are actually two of those big holes, one on each side. They will be plugged with a plywood bulkhead. It is currently left off as I still have to be able to reach inside the mid-section for fillets of the internal centering rings. Once that is done, it will just be an indented flat surface. Like the eye of the Death Star. I expect it to add a little drag, and it is forward of the Cp and therefore a little destabilizing. (This is also why I left the canards off the nose cone.) They should balance each other in a normal flight.

I will have to add about 20 pounds to the nose to set my Cg. I plan on using a slurry of #4 lead shot mixed with West epoxy. In keeping with the philosophy that the bottle shouldn't carry any load, I made an internal structure with a bulkhead that will support the weight and shield the bottle from the heat during installation. (It will also be in ice water during the cure.) The structure is strong enough to fly without the bottle cap, which is just bolted on to the bulkhead to enjoy the ride. The excess length of all-threads get trimmed after the pour. Foam will be used to keep the weight near the front of the cap.

IMG_6859_2.jpeg

IMG_6861_2.jpeg

IMG_6863_2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sather,

20lbs is a lot to hold in with epoxy. For larger rockets I use these cupcake pan lead ingots. Typically on eBay you can find a small (9 oz) size or a large (24 oz size). Once you drill one or two 1/4" holes through them (one for the small, two for the large), respectively, to attach with a 1/4-20 rod assembly they come out about to 8oz and 21oz, respectively. Something to consider...

-Tim

Yes, I have, but thanks for the input. I always worry about the things I didn't think of in advance, and always appreciate another set of eyes. There are actually two of those big holes, one on each side. They will be plugged with a plywood bulkhead. It is currently left off as I still have to be able to reach inside the mid-section for fillets of the internal centering rings. Once that is done, it will just be a flat surface. I expect it to add a little drag, and it is forward of the Cp and therefore a little destabilizing. (This is also why I left the canards off the nose cone.) They should balance each other in a normal flight.

I will have to add about 20 pounds to the nose to set my Cg. I plan on using a slurry of #4 lead shot mixed with West epoxy. In keeping with the philosophy that the bottle shouldn't take any load, I made an internal structure with a bulkhead that will shield the bottle from the heat. (It will also be in ice water during the cure.) The structure is strong enough to fly without the bottle cap, which is just bolted on to the bulkhead to enjoy the ride. The excess length of all-threads get trimmed after the pour. Foam will be used to keep the weight near the front of the cap.

20lbs is a lot to hold in with epoxy. For larger rockets I use these cupcake pan lead ingots.

Thanks, Tim. The lead actually won't be held in place by the epoxy. The epoxy mixed in just holds the shape of the slug after it is poured into and takes the shape of the cavity created by the body tube, coupler, and two bulkheads. (Which are bolted together.) The slurry basically becomes one big ingot, with four all-threads thru it.

Yeah, OK.

Thanks, Tim. The lead actually won't be held in place by the epoxy. The epoxy mixed in just holds the shape of the slug after it is poured into and takes the shape of the cavity created by the body tube, coupler, and two bulkheads. (Which are bolted together.) It basically becomes one big ingot, with four all-threads thru it.

Today was spent cutting out all the little bulkheads. From left to right...

1 x internal nose cone bulkhead. This grew from Tim D.'s idea about placing lead ingots on the all-threads. My slurry of epoxy and lead shot should cure to become a large, solid ingot, held up against the forward nose cone bulkhead by foam. This third (internal) bulkhead will augment (or replace) the foam, and act like a really big washer. Nuts on the all-threads will squeeze the lead ingot between the two forward-most bulkheads, holding it firmly in place like the filling of an Oreo.

2 x bulkheads to cover the "recycle" holes in the mid-section of the bottle.

3 x bulkheads and length of 98mm LOC motor tubing for the avionics bay.​

IMG_6896.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot, I completely forgot about this thread ,but I now see how things have come together ,it going to be a cool spectacle to see taking off the pad.I shall continue to follow this thread !

Gnarly.....totally gnarly !!!

Paul T

imagesCA2Q373G.jpg

I bet your other container is crazy jealous.

We took Jaycoke Zero by our local Coca Cola distributor today. (All of her cousins in their little 20 ounce bottles were the crazy jealous ones.)

We also got some product, and coupons for free product, to hand out at the launch. Did you know that Coke Zero is the official soft drink of the Green Bay Packers?

IMG_6935_2.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking towards the first launch window, now T minus 5 days. Finishing assembly of the avionics bay. A 4" hole was cut into the top ring of the bottle section, to house the 4" tube housing my universal altimeter sled. I'll drill out through the body from inside the bay once the big ring is installed to provide access to the POPO switches.

IMG_6972.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

Last edited:
Back