Recommendations needed to make Wildman Black Saturday DarkStar 3 shinny

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdm

Rocketry Tourist
Reaction score
Finished my DarkStar 3... But wanted recommendations on finishing the exterior to achieve a shinny appearance.

RW suggests with similar colored tubes to use Armor All, car wax, etc.

I tried Armor all wipes and glossy fades in a few hours as it dries off.

Other than spraying clear coat on the kit, please suggest what you had success with.

Thanks

Progressive sanding to baby smooth, then clear coat is my big plan. Worked swimmingly with my Blackhawk 29 (carbon, I know...).

I didn't bother with the progressive sanding until smooth on my BH38 but I did do the following:

Light coat of clear, followed by green scotchbrite pad lightly. Repeated this 4 times.

Then I put on a final clear coat and let this harden for a week. Finally, I waxed it down with some Car Wax - pretty shiny and smooth!

I suppose you could skip the clear and just go with the car wax. A few coats of some good wax would probably work well.

I used Future Finish on BH29 and two black Profusion rockets. Two coats 8 hours apart. Shine is great! No sanding needed. But, if you really want to make it stand out buff it with 3M Finesse-it II!!

Last edited:
Back