Rebuild of Tank Killer, now USAF Version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My previous. U S ARMY Tank Killer suffered a shock cord failure and required a rebuild. Since I was out of olive drab paint, and deciding that the glitter red, pink, and blue paint I had didn’t fit the theme, I went with the tradition of @rklapp and went with something else on hand (fortunately not turquoise) and went with deep blue. I didn’t have enough “M”s in my letter stash to go with Army anyway, so this is the Air Force version.

the “stencils” actually are reversed stick on letters. Specifically, i prime, paint with white, put the stickers on tight, paint two coats of white over them, then apply the blue paint. I the use a hobby knife to get a edge of the sticker loose and peel it off. There’s a wrap of duct tape around the back, I put a Star here but when I peeled it off a chunk of blue came off, hence the “Give ‘em Hell, Boys” sticker to cover the goof. Hopefully will fly next good day I have. I will post a pic of the original next post

last pic shows the rod goes through the nose cone so I don’t need a stand-off.

the Army version was a beautiful flier with essentially zero rotation, hopefully Air Force will do as well.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Those box grid fins are very aerodynamically stable and structurally sound. You might say they are built like, well a tank!

Is a Navy version next?

Back