Ready to Mix Up Some 30 Minute Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use random things I find in the trash- scraps of paper, pieces of junk mail, pieces cut out of cardboard boxes. I've never worried about anything soaking up epoxy but I don't use things like newspaper or printer paper for that reason. Up to and including midpower rockets I don't mix up all that much epoxy at one time. I've read about people using small condiment containers from fast food restaurants and weighing the epoxy components to get the mixture accurate.
I also cut little paddles out of cardboard to use to mix up and to apply the epoxy. I leave the paper with the epoxy remnants laying on the side of my bench so I can verify that it cured properly, then I throw it away.

All kinds of possibilities and they all work. A flat piece of clear PETE packaging---the tough kind that you curse as you look for the scissors to open it---works a treat for small amounts, as the hardened epoxy can be popped off after it cures. For slightly larger amounts the concave bottom of a soft (or unsoft ;)) drink can is convenient. If it's a hot day or just to extend working time, pull a can from the fridge or cooler, wipe it dry and use it.

For even larger amounts, 1 oz medicine cups are about a nickel each online. They're graduated, and they're polypropylene so the hardened epoxy can sometimes be popped out for reuse, if you're as cheap frugal as I am.

Mixing sticks: I got a lifetime supply of tongue depressors from ebay for about $10, good for larger amounts. The balsa left over from laser-cut fins is easily split into narrow strips for mixing small amounts. (Hard balsa preferred; soft stuff can break under vigorous mixing.)

Best,
Terry

I use a pad of paper, and I have a dedicated sheet, that get a glob here, then a glob there tomorrow, then another glob in the other corner the day after, etc.. I'll toss the sheet once the entire surface has no free space to mix a glob.

I also "steal" the wooden coffee stir sticks from work, Starbucks, etc.. they are narrower & thinner than popsicle sticks, and way cheaper!! and, I cut the end off at about 45° so I have a flat end to 'scrape' as I mix. I also find the flat end help to apply the epoxy to the surface / joint.. (And I will wipe the glue off the end of the stick once done, to use it on a later project..)

I use wide masking tape on the bench. Peel off when done.
I've put several wide pieces of tape together, sticky side up, and mixed a blob of epoxy on it. Then I fold it over so the edges stick to each other. Cut a corner off and it makes a container that you can easily squeeze small amounts of epoxy out of, like a pastry bag that you use to decorate a cake.

If you're only mixing up a small amount of epoxy, consider doing it on a pad of Post-It™️ notes. When you're finished, peel off the top note and you have a ready mixing surface for the next batch.
+1 on this when using gel type epoxy or JB weld

For small amounts of the liquid type I use plastic shot glasses from party shops. Mix up and pour, let set, mix again. I've had one I've just thrown out after 20 mixes.
Cheers

I keep tubes/syringes of epoxy in Crystal Lite drink mix containers. The lids have a rim on top, and the epoxy won't stick to the polypro the containers and lids are made of. I saved all the ^#&%@! pill cups I got when I was in the hospital recently. I also found condiment cups at the dollar store. I usually mix with bamboo skewers (two different diameters). Depending on what I'm doing, I spread/move the epoxy with a skewer, a plastic spoon, or a glue "paddle" made from plastic that glue won't stick to. That's for small batches. For bigger batches (which is rare), I've got a large box of TCBY cups from a property my brother bought, enough for a lifetime of rocket building (or a month or so if I decided to open a frozen yougurt store).

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...2da1776f6f7f5c00111c,5d1131ef776f6f34b700246a

Back