Raven2 Standby/Wait Operation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
I have three av-bays that I'm retrofitting with the Raven2. They had previously had the Parrot2 installed and I had used the Parrot2 standby switch to activate for flight on the pad. It seems like the Raven2 standby switch operates in the same manner but the documentation is not as clearly specific on this point as it was with the Parrot2.

To be specific, I'd like to understand use of the Raven2 in both applications, i.e., with charges, and without. In the first instance I prep the rocket rocket, install charges, set rocket upright, apply power to Raven2, wait for startup sequence and charge continuity validation and then press the wait/standby button and allow beeper and red LED to quit blinking, seal av-bay, complete prepping rocket, carry to pad, put upright on rail, then activate (or deactivate as the case may be) the standby button, again verify startup/continuity sequence, then launch.

The other application has everything else above sans installing the charges and continuity checks, i.e., the Raven2 is just along for the ride to gather data in this second case.

Of course, in both cases I could somehow, someway add a power switch in line with the battery feed, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. So as anyone used the Raven2 in such a way (to emulate Parrot2 operation)?

Woops, moderators, might be better to move the above post to Electronics section...

The Raven powers up in pre-launch mode. You don't need to press any buttons when it's on the pad; just turn it on and verify the continuity beeps, and it's ready to detect the liftoff. The Raven's button can be used to put it in standby mode and back to pre-launch mode, but it's rarely used any more because it's easier just to turn it off and back on again.

The Raven powers up in pre-launch mode. You don't need to press any buttons when it's on the pad; just turn it on and verify the continuity beeps, and it's ready to detect the liftoff. The Raven's button can be used to put it in standby mode and back to pre-launch mode, but it's rarely used any more because it's easier just to turn it off and back on again.

Adrian, that is the issue though, no on/off switch presently on rocket. I simply used the standby/wait button (pushed through sampling hole) on pad (power already connected back at prep station). But, from your comment, it sounds like this procedure is fine for the Raven2 (in the same way I used it for the Parrot2).

Back