Raven: Configure as Back-up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feckless Counsel

Petitio principii
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
TRF,

Sure we've discussed this before but would you please comment on my Raven configuration as a back-up altimeter?

Rocket flight is expected to subsonic with simulated altitude of 4000 AGL.

Feckless

Raven Configuration.jpg

Personally I don't do it this way. If I understand correctly, this is just your secondary independent altimeter. I would just set the apogee and main charges as normal (possibly with a delay on apogee along with a lower main altitude) and wouldn't mess with the 3rd and 4th charge outputs.

Well, to be honest, I'm driving so can't check it for hours... But regarding preference, unless being used for staging or air start, I stay with the KISS principle and use the Raven in default mode and then just go in and fudge with the main deploy height. Simple, never had a hiccup this way.

Tim,

You mean like this? Seem to be the same. Why the preference?

Any comment on the parameters?

On the first two outputs, you're requiring the flight time to be both greater than and less than 2.5 seconds. It can't be both, so your charges will never fire.

If configuring it as a second altimeter, why not just a standard dual deploy configuration?

-Kevin

Best as I can tell, either of the approaches posted will work. I don't think you really need to use AGL3 though.

Jim

Well, to be honest, I'm driving so can't check it for hours... But regarding preference, unless being used for staging or air start, I stay with the KISS principle and use the Raven in default mode and then just go in and fudge with the main deploy height. Simple, never had a hiccup this way.

Thats what i do when i pair it with one of my other systems as a back up.

Channel 1 apogee plus 1 second
Channel 2 main 200 - 500 ft lower than primary depending on what my max altitude is supposed to be.

EXAMPLE: FREEDOMS PRICE

ARTS2 RAVEN2
APOGEE APOGEE + 2 seconds
Main 1500 FT MAIN 1000 FT

Depends on how your rocket is built...

If you think the airframe can withstand double what you need for an ejection charge (it should anyway IMHO) then why add all the secondary yada yada to the redundant controls?

I'm guilty of this myself, just thinkin' out loud...

Back