Range Boxes at Home Depot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
A week or two ago, I was doing my weekly run through at Home Depot and spotted range boxes!

There are two different varieties and they are both priced at $29.95 in my part of the country. The first is the one I bought...see the pictures attached. The second is similar to the first but instead of an open lower level, it contains more removable bins like the top tray.

I intend to make a return trip sometime this week and pick up one of the second variety.

OD sez check it out.

The second is similar to the first but instead of an open lower level, it contains more removable bins like the top tray.
A key feature to any range box is that you can access it with one hand. Whenever you're prepping a rocket, you will invariably need to fetch something one-handed 'cause you'll be holding something together with the other hand, something you've carefully and painstakingly assembled but are still working on, and can't set down.

So as long as the box has that going for it, you're in good shape.

My 2 cents.

Doug

Bah! I don't need anything like that. I prefer to pack all of my supplies into a bunch of little boxes, plastic bags, stuffed in my pockets or just loose, so that I have to make a million trips back and forth to pack my car on launch day. My method also facilitates forgetting something, which gives me a reason to socialize at the launch and to check out what everyone else has as I go around begging and borrowing for things that I left at home. If it wasn't for that, I would end up launching more rockets and burning up more of my expensive stock of motors. Who needs that? No, having everything in one convenient place and accessible would really mess up my routine. So thanks, but no thanks.

Signed, Mr. Mayhem. :dark:

Last edited:
> "and burning up more of my expensive stock of motors"<...MarkII, are you a horder?

> "and burning up more of my expensive stock of motors"<...MarkII, are you a horder?
Yes by some folk's standards, no by others'. Does something like 220 motors (I haven't counted them lately), ranging from 1/8A to G constitute a hoard? If I was Mr. Mayhem, though, they would all cato.

You're the one who gave me the idea, Mark. It was in a thread about properly organizing the range box. Saw this one and the light bulb snapped on.

If you look at the last picture, in the lower left of the bottom of the box, there are 6 E9's, 10 D12's, 4 C11-3's, and 24 C6-5's. The other motor box has about 120 motors of the 1/2A through C6's. In total a lot of motors but I don't think anywhere close to 220. :eek:

Thinking about buying a second one of this particular case for my telescope eyepieces and accessories. EPs on top and finders, skycharts, binos, etc., in the bottom.

You're the one who gave me the idea, Mark. It was in a thread about properly organizing the range box. Saw this one and the light bulb snapped on.
Thanks. Only Mr. Mayhem likes chaos.

If you look at the last picture, in the lower left of the bottom of the box, there are 6 E9's, 10 D12's, 4 C11-3's, and 24 C6-5's. The other motor box has about 120 motors of the 1/2A through C6's. In total a lot of motors but I don't think anywhere close to 220. :eek:
If I actually did more launching, I wouldn't have so many either. But for some people (see previous 2 posts), this is tiny. I seem to recall a poll on TRF last year or else the year before (in v. 1) that asked the musical question, "How many motors in your stash?".

Thinking about buying a second one of this particular case for my telescope eyepieces and accessories. EPs on top and finders, skycharts, binos, etc., in the bottom.
Good plan. I could use another one (or two) as well.

Very nice! Way too freakin' organized for me, but very nice :D

Last edited:
If I planned it better and launched more stuff on a more regular basis, my motor stash at this point in the year would be nearly empty. That would mean that I had a great year at the launch field. A good goal for me would be to burn up nearly all of my motors each year by November. A steady accretion of motors that occurs over a few years isn't necessarily a good thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back