R2-D2 Android: A Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nose Ballast and Swing Test

I cut the 1" dia. x 2-1/2" long steel ballast today and installed it in the nose cone.​
I then did a swing test. Crazy windy here... I had to retract the legs on my tripod to keep the wind from blowing it over.​
The 1st swing test that I did was rock solid, but it started out with the nose in the wind.​
The 2nd was much more interesting. It started backwards and then started tumbling until I could get up enough airspeed, at which point the rocket leveled out and flew fine.​

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:
So, here are my questions....

1) With the two "box" fins, do you even need the center feet since they don't seem to add any stability? They seem to be there only to hide the motor mount, but with a little work you could probably shove the motor a bit more north, ala "bullet bobby", but I don't see any problems with your design, I just think it's little more visually pleasing without the middle foot, but perhaps that's just me.

2) You can add texture to the head, at least where his "eye" is supposed to be, although that's likely to add a heckuva lotta drag. Is there going to be greebles, or paint-on details??

So, here are my questions....

1) With the two "box" fins, do you even need the center feet since they don't seem to add any stability? They seem to be there only to hide the motor mount, but with a little work you could probably shove the motor a bit more north, ala "bullet bobby", but I don't see any problems with your design, I just think it's little more visually pleasing without the middle foot, but perhaps that's just me.

2) You can add texture to the head, at least where his "eye" is supposed to be, although that's likely to add a heckuva lotta drag. Is there going to be greebles, or paint-on details??
1) It's the "correct" R2-D2​

Attack Of The Clones 001.jpg

2) Greebles, yes. Eye, probably​

Last edited:
IMHO the first swing test looked encouraging. I thought the second test looked a little wobbly at first. As always, the proof is in the flying.
I think the second test is more encouraging. It's one thing to keep going straight after starting that way; when it can recover from a tumble and straighten out, that's impressive.

(But then, I had one which did that beautifully and then went skywriting anyway.)

When you get to decorating this and need to print your own decals, there are probably tons of useful drawing and images of this all over the internet. One useful resource for creating body wraps or decals are paper models. You might find parts of this artwork that you can use to make your own decals or even little paper or balsa greebles to complete those small 3D surface details.

https://paper-replika.com/index.php...ars-papercraft?highlight=WyJzdGFyIiwid2FycyJd

For example, these are 18mm powered version of those paper models.
Removable fins and sputnik-type antenna fins not shown, middle foot slides into the motor mount for display only.
Details in the cardstock forum.
241942-3be2b0de7375d4299c054908fbf85ebb.data

How would you even do that?
Do you mean in a droid, or in a flying model of a droid. In the latter, you would make the model with a removable foot that goes into the motor mount. For flight, no foot and the motor goes there.

For the former, there'd obviously have to be space to retract the foot into, which is a terrible waste of volume, so you'd be really foolish to do so.

Do you mean in a droid, or in a flying model of a droid. In the latter, you would make the model with a removable foot that goes into the motor mount. For flight, no foot and the motor goes there.

For the former, there'd obviously have to be space to retract the foot into, which is a terrible waste of volume, so you'd be really foolish to do so.
No I mean not see stars wars.

Yeah, that's CGI. What, he sucks his foot up his butt? 🧐
Well, yeah. That's exactly what it does. They show the conversion in one of the earlier original movies. Can't recall which, and I'm not going to watch them for you. You'll just have to trust me. Believe in the force!

Well, yeah. That's exactly what it does. They show the conversion in one of the earlier original movies. Can't recall which, and I'm not going to watch them for you. You'll just have to trust me. Believe in the force!
Ok, so he sucks his foot up his butt. We're agreed on that.​
What does he do with all the plethora of Leatherman Accessories then?​
Where's the mechanism opening?​
And why does he need to suck his middle foot up his butt? Look at the size of that foot and support arm. (His thrusters are in his arms.)​
I like the version from the 1979 Star Wars... much easier for a child of the 60's to comprehend.​
... there'd obviously have to be space to retract the foot into, which is a terrible waste of volume, so you'd be really foolish to do so.
I'm with Joe...​

Attack Of The Clones 017.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so he sucks his foot up his butt. We're agreed on that.What does he do with all the plethora of Leatherman Accessories then?Where's the mechanism opening?And why does he need to suck his middle foot up his butt? Look at the size of that foot and support arm. (His thrusters are in his arms.)
1. I assume it is for compact storage in the closet when they don't need the stability of that 3rd foot.
2. It is easier to get him into his "socket" when he flies in an X-wing and other space craft.
3. It probably gets in the way when he is taking the stairs (which is never shown).
4. So with all that is going on in those movies THAT is the thing you have a realism issue with? 🤣 Remember - it is Sci-fi. Reality has no place in that galaxy far, far away.
5. And let us not forget the first film or two (not sure how many) were filmed with a guy actually crammed into that tin can. Wouldn't want to be that guy since I am 6'3". 🤣 But the foot going internal would also cause a few volumetric issues with that dude I am sure.

But seriously, I wonder how effective or necessary those "middle fins" would be due to the base drag from his body. That drag should create some good stability effects, and the air turbulence, or low pressure in it's wake might render the fins almost useless (I'm guessing). Not really sure. Would be an interesting experiment. Fly it with and without the middle foot/fins.

But the foot going internal would also cause a few volumetric issues with that dude I am sure.
Yes, volumetric issues, that's what I'm talking about. Hyperspace and psionic powers are one thing, but if you're going to show a mechanical device, presumably an electromechanical device with advanced computing capability and AI, and also a wide range of mechanical capabilities, you're showing something to which basic engineering principals can be applied (unlike fictional physics and psionic powers).

When you get to decorating this and need to print your own decals, there are probably tons of useful drawing and images of this all over the internet. One useful resource for creating body wraps or decals are paper models. You might find parts of this artwork that you can use to make your own decals or even little paper or balsa greebles to complete those small 3D surface details.

https://paper-replika.com/index.php...ars-papercraft?highlight=WyJzdGFyIiwid2FycyJd
Thanks for posting these Glen. They'll be very helpful.​

Back