Questions about a mach 2 attempt.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendrin2020

Reaction score
So airfest is coming.

I'm already attempting my L3 that weekend, but I kinda want to try something gutsy. I see wildman's got these Mach 2 kits for $90 and I'd like to put one together in time for the event, but I've never flown that fast. So here's a few questions:

Are rail buttons a bad idea if you're going that fast?

I understand that aerodynamics change drastically above mach, is there a baro-based altimeter I can trust for accurate top speed data? If not, anyone know where in the hell I can find a Raven?

What are the big mistakes that every newbie to extreme performance make?

Type "Airfest" in the comments and get it for $69.

I dont think rail buttons will effect speed nearly as much as your build weight. I believe it will effect altitude more. Wildman also sell a printed airfoiled rail guide that worked well for me.

Or go with fly away rail guides.

As far as baro-based altimeter velocity, speeds at mach tend to get a little funky. Better off with an accelerometer based altimeter.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking, but other than the raven, what is there?

What if I used baro or timers for recovery and use an Arduino with an accelerometer for data logging?

The baro-alt will be flaky through Mach, but you could look at the alt v time curve before and after and get an idea of how fast it had to go in between. Would that be good enough?

My baro is close enough over Mach 2 and matches my sims and accelerometer, well close enough. Baro is mostly funky going through Mach but a lot of the noise goes away once you get through it. Using a baro and accelerometer based altimeter would be ideal, but if budget is a concern I would put your money into a tracker. When it comes to the rail buttons I would use a FARG instead.

It wasn't quite Mach 2, but the high school club I work with flew to M1.6 on two baro-based altimeters: a Stratologger CF and an Eggtimer Quark. As long as they have Mach lockouts/Mach immunity listed in the features you should be OK with a baro at M2. How high are you going?

It wasn't quite Mach 2, but the high school club I work with flew to M1.6 on two baro-based altimeters: a Stratologger CF and an Eggtimer Quark. As long as they have Mach lockouts/Mach immunity listed in the features you should be OK with a baro at M2. How high are you going?

Not sure, still pondering whether or not to commit to the project.

For recording only, the Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 has an accelerometer...doesn't it? Would that do the trick?

Have flown a Ravens to Mach 1.8 no problems.

One thing I would suggest is gluing the supercap to the PCB (as recommended in the manual). The high accels you will be experiencing during a speed run will rip it off the board otherwise. I use Loctite 401 CA adhesive.

Similarly, if you have a gps just run a thin layer of epoxy around the antenne where it is stuck (by double-sided tape) onto the PCB.

Is it known which, if any, altimeters integrate acceleration to get altitude? That would be a double integral with noise to boot.

Is it known which, if any, altimeters integrate acceleration to get altitude? That would be a double integral with noise to boot.

And would actually calculate distance travelled instead of altitude. Apogee is usually better determined by barometric and velocity is better determined by accelerometer.

Back