Question about delays in Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm working on my first dual deploy, the Milestone. I plan on using motor deploy as backup. When it says "Time to apogee" in the simulations, that's the delay time PLUS the motor burn time, correct? So to get the proper delay time, I subtract the burn time from the time to apogee? For instance, an H178 Dark Matter has a time to apogee of 12.4 seconds. The motor burn time is 1.7 seconds, so that leaves me with a delay time of 10.7 seconds, or round up to 11. Am I figuring this right?

Yep, pretty much, time to apogee is from ignition. I usually just use the flight plot to figure mine out. I'll start with the medium delay, then look at the plot (vertical vs time) and adjust accordingly. When using motor eject as a back up, I'll add a second or so, especially if it means I don't have to adjust a factory delay.

Yep, pretty much, time to apogee is from ignition. I usually just use the flight plot to figure mine out. I'll start with the medium delay, then look at the plot (vertical vs time) and adjust accordingly. When using motor eject as a back up, I'll add a second or so, especially if it means I don't have to adjust a factory delay.

What is the "flight plot"?

In the Flight Simulations tab, click 'Plot / Export' and the default choices will give you a graph of altitude, velocity, and acceleration versus time.

Just look at the time of apogee.

Sorry Jim, somehow I missed this... yep, what CarVac said.
In the 'flight simulations' tab, run a simulation for a motor, then along the top , far right hand button 'plot/export'. Lower right corner is a button for "Plot Flight"

This gives you a graph of the flight parameters selected on the 'plot/export' page. Play with it a bit and you'll find it quite useful.

In the Flight Simulations tab, click 'Plot / Export' and the default choices will give you a graph of altitude, velocity, and acceleration versus time.

Just look at the time of apogee.

Sorry Jim, somehow I missed this... yep, what CarVac said.
In the 'flight simulations' tab, run a simulation for a motor, then along the top , far right hand button 'plot/export'. Lower right corner is a button for "Plot Flight"

This gives you a graph of the flight parameters selected on the 'plot/export' page. Play with it a bit and you'll find it quite useful.

Very cool. I don't think I'll ever learn all that Open Rocket can do. It's an amazing program.

Back