QUARK Section 624 Cincinnati HPR Launch 6-08-02

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Well, we had another great HPR launch today with mild winds and clear skies. I launched the Harpoon on a Pro38 I205 and the AMRAAM 4 on a Pro38 J360...everything went well. Many cool launches including an R/C rocket glider from the original run...some of you may know what it is, but I don't. It had canards for elevators and was old in design and I want to thank the owner for snapping the shot of it at takeoff. That Green beauty flew well, I was at the sticks and it landed softly out in the field. Thanks Larry for letting me fly your bird!

We had a Girl Scout Troop 387 at our site today and the girls had a blast. They had each decorated their rockets with stickers and such, which is a big change from the boy scouts that either use decals or just paint. Some very nice work. Quite a variety of rockets too including one girls original Estes SR71 from the 80's and the Troop Master's Estes Saturn V.

Finally, I want to congratulate our very own Forum Member...Adam Crane, who attempted his Level 1 Certification today with the upscale 4" version of the Arreaux he had posted on our forum. He made the trip from NW Ohio and brought the rocket to us; this model is a piece of work guys! For an 18 year old, he did a fantastic job of building as the thing is strong as a rock. He launched it today on an I435...YES, I sid the biggest I motor available!!! What a launch and to top it off, he set up dual deployment which worked like a charm...you RARELY see D-D on a L1 bird. He is definitely ready to take the L2 plunge anytime. Big Congrats!!!

Here are the pics:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/?dir=q2

Looks like it was a nice day out.

One question, how the heck are small rockets found in all of that tall grass? I can understand trees being a pain in the rear, but tall grass can swallow a rocket and make it vanish.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to my local meet next weekend.

- Eugene

Great job, as usual. A couple of things....

The boost glider you were flying is an Estes Astro Blaster. That's the one that great friend Eugene just acquired for me - :D .

Do you know what engine you were using in it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also - the thumbnails are not displaying for me on your phpGraphy pages. I didn't take the time to check any other phpGraphy pages, but they have always displayed just fine in the past.

Also, a few of the main pics did not display for me either. Most of the pics did just fine, but there were 2 or 3 that would not display. Sorry, I didn't take the time to record the numbers.

All in all, looks like you and your group had a great day. Saw your A4 on the J360 and the Harpoon on the I205. Looked great.

Later, dude.

Carl

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pics. Adam sure had fun today and really enjoys seeing all of the pics. Like Ken the thumbnails don't display but the pics are available. thought I would post a couple of the pics we took. Too bad for us we had a newbie on the digital camera and didn't get any good launch pics but oh well what a memory.

Thanks again

Ray Crane

eugene...

Believe it or not, I don't think we lost a single rocket in the grass, including the Prez Mark Fisher's MicroMaxx Space Model. It was tall, but thin enough to find them and we had a lot of people tracking for recovery. We actually had a gas powered weedwhip there to clear out an area, as we moved from our mowed soccer field to this side of the park due to winds.

Ken...

The thumbnails don't work due to the fact that I can't make them work. I got privilege errors when trying to create them, so maybe Milo or Phil can help here.

As far as the Astro Blaster goes, it was a D12!!! Didn't get much higher than 200 feet, but it was a good way to introduce me to it. He is going to try an E15 next launch. The radio took some getting used to...it was an old COX radio with elevator on the LEFT stick and aileron on the right, so I am glad he used a mild motor. I had to get my brain into a different mode to fly that ship, it was a good challenge!

Also, the two pics, 12 and 21, are there, you just need to click on high-res to view them for some reason. I am still new to PhP and learning, so maybe Milo or PHil can help here too.

Ray...

It was my pleasure to take some pics for Adam...I know what it's like to have your first cert documented. Wish I could have taken a launch pic but I had the microphone in one hand and the other hand on the launch button. We will get him for his L2 hopefully though and I have a written test here just waiting for him. :) He had plenty of support there though with yourself and two uncles, along with the entire Quark Club. It was indeed a privilege to sign his L1 cert paperwork as Adam did a killer job which was well deserving of cert status!

Thanks to all of you for your pic comments, we did have fun as usual and look forward to the next event in a couple weeks.

Carl

Back