Q-Jet E26 ejection charge size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
Does anyone know the BP ejection charge size in the E26? (or D22 or E35, for that matter).

My kids are designing rockets to fly at NSL in a few weeks. My son's design is BT-60 sized (~1.6" diameter) and has 36" of body tube length. I wanted to make sure there was enough uummph in the ejection charge for that long of a rocket.

Thanks!

Camerons rocket 2.png

Does anyone know the BP ejection charge size in the E26? (or D22 or E35, for that matter).

My kids are designing rockets to fly at NSL in a few weeks. My son's design is BT-60 sized (~1.6" diameter) and has 36" of body tube length. I wanted to make sure there was enough uummph in the ejection charge for that long of a rocket.

Thanks!

View attachment 580249
Stuffer tube? That looks an awlul lot like an Estes Vapor. I built mine with a stuffer tube and a 3D baffle. Flies wonderfully on E9 motors.

Right, like Boomer says, stuffer tube. Just extend the motor tube leaving 10-12 inches for the recovery package.

Right, like Boomer says, stuffer tube. Just extend the motor tube leaving 10-12 inches for the recovery package.
Thanks. A stuffer tube would help reduce the volume, but based on what @Voyhager3 & @Tractionengines said above it sounds like the ejection charge is very comfortably more than enough for this size rocket. Testing in a few weeks!

That looks an awlul lot like an Estes Vapor.
Wow, you're right. My son's design is about an inch shorter, but they're very, very similar.

My daughter's design is a bit shorter than my son's. She's going to find out tomorrow how fun it is to cut fins with semi-complex shapes. :)

They decided on colors this afternoon & they'll start designing the color schemes tomorrow.
Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 1.49.57 AM.png

The stuffer tube does more than just take up volume, it also makes the lower half of the rocket stiffer. Plus, I added an ejection baffle. The Estes kit uses two 18" tubes coupled, so I built a baffle into the coupler. Consider doing that with your kid's rockets. It's more fun when you can just swap in a new motor and jam the chute in. No wadding to worry about - ever.

Attachments

• Vapor - modified.ork
    391.6 KB · Views: 0
it also makes the lower half of the rocket stiffer. Plus, I added an ejection baffle. The Estes kit uses two 18" tubes coupled, so I built a baffle into the coupler. Consider doing that with your kid's rockets. It's more fun when you can just swap in a new motor and jam the chute in. No wadding to worry about - ever.
Very good points. I think on these, mostly in the interest of time, we're just going to go old-school simple on them. So far, they haven't minded dealing with wadding, but they'd probably love not having to worry about it.

There is plenty ejection charge for that small a rocket.... BT-60 tube?
I've used an E26 in a 3-foot tall BT-70 rocket with a baffle, and no issues popping the nosecone and getting the chute out.

In a BT-60, the ejection charge of an E12 is enough to snap an elastic cord so stick with Kevlar cord and secure it with something more than just glue to the cardboard. I'm sure the E26 will be fine. :)

Latest posts

Back