PVC Rail Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoesRocketry

Reaction score
I decided to build a new rail launch pad using PVC pipe. I currently own a Medium High Power Pad from A Launch Pad

Co., but am tired of carrying around the 65 lb pad for my normal flights. It also takes a while to assemble at each launch and is a real pain (Our club does not provide equipment as we are spread out over Ohio and West Virginia and have no place to store it at the launch site). The original design used came from Johnnierkt.

Here is a link to the thread containing his design:
Johnnierkt's Launch Pad

Attached is a partial, but not complete mechanical drawing of the design. I will post pictures and write a construction article for those who wish to build one/improve on it as well. For now, though, it will have four leg levelers, 4 reinforced legs, and a blast plate which attaches to the bottom of the rail. This particular pad uses

3/4" Schedule 40 PVC. Look for more updates soon!

oops... here is the drawing.

Also, please note it is not drawn to scale.

**An updated drawing has been added down below.** The one attached here is now obsolete

Looking forward to reading your build, and following your progress...thank you!

Looks like that should be one awesome pad. Just remember to take into account the kerf of the saw you use, especially for the langths of pipe where you make many cuts as it can add up and you won't have the material you thought you did, unless the 10-ft lengths are a little longer than 10 feet...
Good luck and definitely show us finished pics,
Reed

Instead of a saw, I'm using a spiral cutter and then sand paper to sand down the bump at the ends... I'll post a pic of it later when I post the other pictures. I also noticed some sections of the pipe were shorter than others, but I was able to compensate by changing the order. Not to mention that I had an extra 5 Ft. section of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC laying around anyway. Will make my first picture update later tonight.

Ok, after having cut the parts and made my first dry fit, I realized I need to make a few minor changes, but they will be incorporated at a later time. As of right now, 3 sections of the pad are complete; the 4 support legs, the base, and the blast deflector housing.

After putting the pad together and putting some weight on the pad, I decided I may wish to reinforce the legs with diagonal supports attaching to the top of the tower assembly.

Some construction pictures are attached below, but my camera's battery ran out of juice so I only got some of them.

crossbarparts.jpg

These are the parts needed to make the crossbar

crossbar.jpg

This is the cross bar. Right now there are 3 of these - there may be 4 when I'm done.

baseparts.jpg

These are the parts used to make all the support leg attach points.

legparts.jpg

The parts that go into each leg. Note the pad levelers are missing.

baselegattach.jpg

The attachment points for the support legs. There are 4 of these.

completedbase.jpg

The completed tower base

Ok, so I got the main parts of the pad together last night after staining the deck. Here is a picture with my two-stage 2.6" Mark-IVc. I only have half my rail attached. When assembled, the rail is 80" The funny PVC assembly at the bottom of the rail unit is the blast deflector without the steel covering which will eventuallly be bolted to it.

Resolution 480 x 640:
pad_inc_wrocket_small.jpg

A link to the image in 600 x 800:
Click here

A link to the image in 1024 x 1365
Click here

Some changes are being made including a crossbar and a central tower ground support. These will be reflected on in further detail when the modifications are complete. As of now the tower unit itself can handle my full weight, so I am confident the pad will handle any motor I plan to throw at it. (G-J) For K's and higher I will stick to my steel pad... however, I may fly one off this pad in the future after the pad proves itself. Sorry for the disorganizaiton of this post... I'll fix all that up later.

Seems like a sturdy piece. My only concern would be loading it at the 8foot hieght with buttons on it. Good on the build. keep a pic of launch.
Brian

The pad does fold down for loading.

See it here:
Pad Folding Down

More pictures to come tomorrow once I get some more of the modifications made. Then I'll have updated drawings and some assembly photographs by the end of next week.

Love it!!

I like the use of lighter materials, and then the added structure to tough'n it up.

My original design has supported D's thru K's, but the material costs were up there at $49 for 1.5" goods. What is the price tag on the 3/4" materials you have used so far?

One note of interest; I have seen J570's crush a PVC pad, and I have even had J's bend my 1/8" thick aluminum blast deflectors...I fear your blast deflector may see a similar fate...pictured below is a pic that "Rocketmaniac" took when the Alabama group visited O'burg S.C. The hole in the asphalt was from multiple H-J research motors going off from my original pad.

Blast Deflector:

I have had the K550 and K570 blast bend my blast plate that came with my pad from A Launch Pad Co. Actually, it has been bent so much that it knocked the lock holding the pad upright down (Which had been tightenned with a hex key. This resulted in the rail falling over to the loading position after the rocket left the pad. If I ever decide to fly a K or a J570 from this pad, I plan to put some more standoff area between the pad and blast deflector for the higher kick motors... Also it will be opperated as an away cell for the particular launch. I also have a home made steel pad held up with nylon straps where the flat blast deflector never bent. I plan to finish fixing it so that I can use it as well. It was the lightest, but the biggest pain to set up because it needed relatively soft ground to stab the central pole in. Then it took 4 states and the tie downs to stablize it, plus a level to find out when it was pointing straight up. Worked beautifully every time though with the biggest motor flown from it being an AT J 350W.

Old Steel Pad (136kb or so)

I would say that with the metal components for leg levelers and the steel, the PVC pad cost around $40-50. If I decide to add the support bars to the legs running from the end of the leg to the top of the tower, then the cost will probably come up to a sure $50-55. So, it isn't cheaper, but it sure is lighter.

Not shown in the pictures above are the leg levelers and the central support bolt that rests the tower on the ground. I just installed those today. Essentially, the center support is just another leveler that helps support the weight of the tower and rocket as there is currently too much flex in the legs to let them hold the tower and rocket up by themselves. I am trying to find a lightweight, yet very stiff substance with which I can fill the legs and several voids in the tower that are still accessible to provide additional support. Any ideas?

So Joe, @ 1-year later, how has your pad performed? or has it? Has it seen much action?

Johnnie

Anyone?...anyone...? Hello? Is this thread still on?...testing...testing :)

Did it work out for you Joe? Just curious is all...

Johnnie

Anyone?...anyone...? Hello? Is this thread still on?...testing...testing :)

Did it work out for you Joe? Just curious is all...

Johnnie

He will probably answer this when he gets back from being overseas visiting family.

Cool, I saw that he had posted last night, so I thought I might ask him one more time...thanks.

Johnnie

Back