Pumpkin season has begun!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim that is absolutely incredible! Amazing work

Matt

Thanks :) I've been doing this for years having developed the technique in '72. My daughter is as good (if not better) at it than I am... :)

It relaxes me, but the arthritis isn't making it easy...

Awesome work Jim,
but that Michael Jackson pumpkin did it:

I'm joining GH's ranks of smashers....
:roll:

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!
Looks like I have another convert to the dark side of the pumpkin debate !
Nothing wrong with a pumpkin that the well timed application of a BASEBALL BAT won't FIX in short order. :bangpan:
A GOOD pumpkin is a HEAVILY MANGLED and SMASHED pumpkin ! :bangbang:

Batter UPPPPPP !!!!!

Do you have any experience with what it would do to spray-paint a pumpkin?

My wife is in a sort of contest at her school and the rules prohibit carving or cutting. She wants to paint it purple (actually, already has done so as I type this), along with some other add-ons and stick-ons. I'm wondering whether the paint might somehow accelerate the deterioration process (like, if it can't "breathe" because it's all sealed up).

Any ideas?

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!
Looks like I have another convert to the dark side of the pumpkin debate !
Nothing wrong with a pumpkin that the well timed application of a BASEBALL BAT won't FIX in short order. :bangpan:
A GOOD pumpkin is a HEAVILY MANGLED and SMASHED pumpkin ! :bangbang:

Batter UPPPPPP !!!!!

So did ya LISTEN to the song? :bang:

Some Clubs out west have Bowling ball launches , why not pumpkin launches? That would be cool.;)

A pumpkin launch with about a 16 OUNCE ejection charge in the pumpkin would be just about right !
That would assure acceleration of the biodegradation process and would be more environmentally friendly.
Strike that last statement, I just wanna see the pumpkin blasted to smithereens.

Carved pumpkins with the kids last night.

I decided to pull out the dremel and go to town. Amazing how my rocket building skills can transfer to pumpkins ;>

I wonder what I can do with my router.......

zoghlin family pumpkin.jpg

OK, I gotta ask. When you use a Dremel tool, how did you keep from flinging pumpkin goo all over the place at 30,000 RPM? :D

OK, I gotta ask. When you use a Dremel tool, how did you keep from flinging pumpkin goo all over the place at 30,000 RPM? :D

Easy!

He runs the Dremel at a lower speed, and flings it at 8,000 RPM, instead...

-Kevin

(Yep, I'm helpful like that)

Do you have any experience with what it would do to spray-paint a pumpkin?

My wife is in a sort of contest at her school and the rules prohibit carving or cutting. She wants to paint it purple (actually, already has done so as I type this), along with some other add-ons and stick-ons. I'm wondering whether the paint might somehow accelerate the deterioration process (like, if it can't "breathe" because it's all sealed up).

Any ideas?

Never spray painted a pumpkin.... would be problematical as there is a natural thin waxy coating on the skin of the pumpkin. I have seen many painted pumpkins and I believe they use water colors. Perhaps you could look into air brushing water color paints...?

Haven't carved them yet but we picked up pumpkins this weekend. the farm we went to didn't have a patch to go out to (half the fun is picking in the field) but they had some varieties I had never seen. Like white pumpkins, got one to do a ghost, ones that where white and had a slight blue silver tint ones that where kind of a dusky orange, and ones that looked like they were covered in peanuts. My wife took pics I'll have to post them later.

Watched the "History of Halloween" last night. Interesting on how the Jack-o-Lantern came into play. I wonder how many know the real meaning of Halloween ,All Souls Day and the other one (?) Three day thing that was Oct 31,Nov1st and 2cnd.

As promised pictures of the other breeds of pumpkins

IMG_5822a.jpg
some heirloom pumpkins including peanut center and fairytale on the left

IMG_5827a.JPG
my little guy selecting a white pumpkin

IMG_5828a.JPG
the funky white ones with the blue silver tint (can't remember the name)

IMG_5898a.JPG
my work for this year, I loved the stem on the orange one and how it followed the curve of the pumpkin. my son tried picking it up just before I carved it and it was much to heavy and he dropped it from the table and split the stem, which I think gave it even more character.

IMG_6003a.JPG
lit up with glow sticks. the coleman glow sticks last for ever (24+ hours) but aren't as bright as I remember the cheep ones being.

2 happy un-smashed pumpkins are feeding the squirrels today and until they get too moldy to stay on the porch

Last edited:
mjennings, very cool :) I have carved on the white pumpkins before. I can't seem to find any pix, but they come out cool.

I have also done some carving (of a different sort) in other gourds and even melons.

good stuff :)

Candles are for wimps.

Pumpkins%20of%20Flame.jpg

:D

I bet THAT smelled great... :cyclops:
Not bad really... we soak toilet paper in diesel fuel. Burns about 20 minutes. You want the toilet paper rolls pretty wet; if they aren't wet enough, it smokes more. Lamp oil works well and smells better but is more expensive; I used it one year by dumping our tiki torches into a coffee can.

The one on the left is Taylor's; she wanted it to breathe fire from its mouth, and depending on the breeze, it did. She carved "I'm on fire" all around it.

The one in the middle is mine, with my traditional evil face. Didn't come out as evil this year as in some prior years.

The one on the right is Tracy's; she had a nice spiderweb pattern, but it's been so dry that it shrank like crazy between carving and flaming.

Here's last year, for comparison:

Flaming%20Pumpkins.JPG

Back