Proven techniques for fin (and nosecone) survival at a bit over M5 and under 20Kft?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I first found out about galvanic corrosion issue between carbon and aluminum 25 or 30 years ago. Easton Aluminum manufacturs very high quality carbon over aluminum arrows. The earlier ones were pretty nice, but, only good for one season before they'd be failing. Some later ones had this somewhat red coating on the aluminum, under the carbon. That got me curious... Later arrows were good pretty nearly indefinitely.

Just for the heck of it, I attached a crude quick and dirty Burnsim of something like one of the little 88mm motors. I did double taper here not triple taper, and this isn't really optimized all that well. Burnsim doesn't handle some details quite correctly, but that is a subject for the research forum perhaps, rather than here. Sawtooth is just an artifact of using a fairly coarse step simulating the tapers. The motor is not extreme, except in being fairly long. It just has a decent mass fraction. Case bonded propellant so no traditional liner and no casting tubes. Liner would be cast in place, with thickness profile dependent on expected liner erosion. The propellant is the case insulation for most of the length and much of the case, so liner mass is reduced and propellant volume is increased. Overall this is really a pretty mild motor. I could push it a lot harder but no point to doing it unless I know how to make the rocket survive! I just think it would be cool to hit M5 in single stage and have it survive.

Larger motors get hairier. The sims on a 5" full P / baby Q are absurd. The mass fraction goes up as the motor gets larger. Drag is relatively low during the boost since nozzle exit is essentially full diameter. If it could survive it would be insane.

Cleaning and prepping the inside of an aluminum motor tube with some sort of surface treatment is practically a prerequisite for this sort of motor. Otherwise a cast in place liner will peel out easily, greatly increasing the chance of a CATO towards the end of a burn.

I figure these are single use. If aluminum, I'd expect the motor tube to have lost temper by the time it cools off. Too much heating on the outside plus the usual heating on the inside. Being single use is part of the reason I want to make it as cheaply as makes engineering sense.

I want to avoid solving the problems by just throwing mass at them. Yes, I could likely make a heavy nosecone, thicken the case wall, and use heavy solid fins. It would survive (well, perhaps, after all it is a rocket. What could go wrong???). It would also lack the performance. I wish I could solve the problems by adding a booster. But then it would go too high.

What I am considering doing is another round of propellant development to reduce the burn rate while increasing the density ISP a bit more. Slowing the burn would help by increasing the altitude for any given speed. External heating would be reduced a little. Internal heating would be increased a fair bit, necessitating additional insulation. That would add mass and slightly reduce available volume for propellant, which would be compensated for by increasing the density ISP of the propellant. Trying that approach would likely add some months to the development process. It might not even work.

Gerald

2-7-2016 1-43-44 AM.png

If a dissimilar material is bonded which is also conductive, it is possible to form a battery. Bonding carbon fiber to aluminum for instance will do this. The result is galvanic corrosion at the bond. This corrosion can be slow in a dry environment, or pretty quick in a humid environment. There was a military helecopter prototype which made this mistake, in spite of it being a well known issue in the industry... Usually a non-conductive coating of some sort is used to separate the aluminum from carbon fiber.

Does this mean (for example..) that Acme-style alu conformal rail guides should not be epoxied to a CF airframe? Is a thick layer of epoxy not sufficient to act as a barrier?

Cured epoxy itself is generally non-conductive - at least most should be. I think it would be fine. It is where contact can occur that issues can arise, or where the joint itself is conductive. If in doubt, use a patch of thin fiberglass between the aluminum and the carbon as a separator to guarantee there will be no contact. You can use it as a carrier for the epoxy even. Note - I would expect a filled epoxy such as JBWeld may well be conductive. That could cause issues.

Gerald

JB weld is kinda interesting in that department. It is generally an insulator since it is mostly calcium carbonate and epoxy with 10 - 20% iron powder. Though apparently if you let it cure in a magnetic field the powder can shift around from the field and make certain points conductive. So it seems like JB weld isn't conductive but with some asterisks attached to that statement.

Cured epoxy itself is generally non-conductive - at least most should be. I think it would be fine. It is where contact can occur that issues can arise, or where the joint itself is conductive. If in doubt, use a patch of thin fiberglass between the aluminum and the carbon as a separator to guarantee there will be no contact. You can use it as a carrier for the epoxy even. Note - I would expect a filled epoxy such as JBWeld may well be conductive. That could cause issues.

Gerald

JB weld is kinda interesting in that department. It is generally an insulator since it is mostly calcium carbonate and epoxy with 10 - 20% iron powder. Though apparently if you let it cure in a magnetic field the powder can shift around from the field and make certain points conductive. So it seems like JB weld isn't conductive but with some asterisks attached to that statement.

Thanks to you both. This is a fascinating thread.

This problem was solved 60 years ago. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Google sounding rockets.

If you go to the research forum you will find the thread where we discussed the Loki and Super Loki boosters. That is all you need to get to Mach 5. Since altitude is not a goal, you simply need a payload compartment and a NC to insure the rocket is stable on ascent after burnout.

All the DTIC and NASA tech reports are referenced. Within the reports the flight profiles are discussed as are the materials of construction.

Bob

This problem was solved 60 years ago. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Google sounding rockets.

If you go to the research forum you will find the thread where we discussed the Loki and Super Loki boosters. That is all you need to get to Mach 5. Since altitude is not a goal, you simply need a payload compartment and a NC to insure the rocket is stable on ascent after burnout.

All the DTIC and NASA tech reports are referenced. Within the reports the flight profiles are discussed as are the materials of construction.

Bob

Bob,

Would you mind copying the relevant information from the research forum into this thread for those of us without access to it?

The tech reports are available online as you say, but it would be nice to be able to look through the relevant information in a more concise format.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
I gotta say, I learn something new in almost every thread that Gerald posts- here and on RCGroups. Even though I may never use the information, it's always an interesting read.

kj

Bob,

Would you mind copying the relevant information from the research forum into this thread for those of us without access to it?

The tech reports are available online as you say, but it would be nice to be able to look through the relevant information in a more concise format.

Thanks,
Alex
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?127261-100-000-on-M-Power-Can-it-be-done

References: NASA CR-61238 and NTIS AD-766737

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=277253&d=1449179469

https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a434200.pdf

https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/750796.pdf

Back